Talking to Americans

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is fine.

If I had said that the reporter (Rick Mercer) was American no one would have any problems with this thread. This thread, if anything, just proves the extensive inferiority complex that Canadians have. We have to make fun of the Americans in order to feel better about ourselves.

A huge part of WFG is international, and I find that fascinating and really kinda cool. We can't be having tensions between different nationalities of people. I recommend you cool it. This would be your second warning for this.

Eken, it's rich that you write this when you've already commented on Americans being fat, lazy and stupid.

I want to remind you that you have a WFG Staff tag under your name. That means that any statement that you make here can be seen as a representation of WFG's viewpoints. A comment like the one you've made is *very* inappropriate in that regard. When in doubt, just ask yourself: If you were to visit the Blizzard forums, and saw their Lead Designer - or something - post that Canadians are vain hypocrites, would it not tell you something about the professionalism of the entire company?

So think before you post - that small tag carries a load of responsibility.

Hmm, this thread is cool. Uppy, you stop the freakin bad behavour. As far as i read now, Curu didnt do ANYTHING besides saying that the Englishmen had more soldiers in Europe than America?? Or has there been some deleted posts here??

Anyway, take it easy both of you :)

(beer.gif

I think Uppy's middle post somewhere HAS been deleted indeed.

Eken, it's rich that you write this when you've already commented on Americans being fat, lazy and stupid.

But come on man, Erik is himself American!!!! Couldn't I criticize the French being myself French? Had I written that, I agree you could have argued, but you can't blame him for saying so!

I think Erik was just stereotyping for fun, not seriously. That's what this threat is about anyway. It's always good to be able to make fun of yourself or your country, atleast if it's not meant too seriously. Maybe I've been used to that too much, living close to the Netherlands, where they make fun of Belgians constantly :)

Ok first of all, I went back and read this thread. I hadn't read many of the posts, and it looks like I created quite a confusion. First of all, I AM an American. I am not trying to put down other nations, I was poking fun at my own nation, which stereotypically is fat and stupid. I think everyone can agree with that. But that's a stereotype- the forumers here are some of the smartest people I know. America has it's smart people too- and when I want to hear about politics, religion, and the meaning of life, I don't go talk to my friends. The Americans here, especially from HoI, are totally the opposite of what is stereotyped.

Here's some backup:

Americans are "fat"- 130 million adults in America are overweight or obese. Obesity related deaths are estimated to pass tobacco related deaths by 2020. http://health.discovery.com/news/healthsco...d=517857&tid=29

Americans are "stupid"- Well, look at the starting post in this thread.

And Vaevictis, well, I'm not quite sure how you got to where you did, but I don't think you knew I was American. I don't want to give the impression that I'm unaccepting of other cultures, and I don't think I'd say something like that about other cultures unless I put a LOT of smilies in that post :) (joking there).

So here's my apology and smilie-based reassurance that what I'm doing is trying to be only in good humor:

:):):)

That's fair enough; there's nothing better than being able to be critical of one's own culture. But there really wasn't anything to indicate that you're American.

In any case, I don't think it changes the point - that, for all WFG staffers, it's very inappropriate to use those terms about a culture on our own website. I know it's what you usually find on all sorts of forums, but it's something else when you're a representative of the company that runs the website.

Maybe I've been used to that too much, living close to the Netherlands, where they make fun of Belgians constantly :)

Yes defenitly, the most common jokes are about blondes and Belgians :)

It's said that Dutch people are the tallest and American the fattest :drug: , but if it's true, don't know.

(beer.gif

But come on man, Erik is himself American!!!! Couldn't I criticize the French being myself French? Had I written that, I agree you could have argued, but you can't blame him for saying so!

Dude, tell me what post that is. :)

(beer.gif

dude what the ... I didn't say that. I don't know how you got that but its not cool. :)