Talking to Americans

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, lying and just making up theories and conjecture are different things Uppy. Lying is saying deliberate falsehoods you know are untrue to mislead others. The latter case is trying to explain something by using what you do know but you can't actually prove that you're right.

But on a more friendly note, I'm always want to be right no matter how totally wrong I am. Go America! :nod::indifferent:

(beer.gif

Indeed Uppy ... but we do that only with Americans to counter their arrogance ... :nod:

And maybe you think it is a pain to talk to a French person because at least it is the only person who will dare saying out loud what the other people think ... :indifferent:

I had to choke down the laughter when a Frenchman speaks of an American's arrogance, when his very post was the epitome of the word.

If you hail from the United States of America you probably will not find this funny at all, and you will probably be highly annoyed as many Americans are.

I don't know how you could say that! :indifferent:

I found these clips absolutely hilarious.

But perhaps that's because I have little love for the concept of nationalism and don't identify myself with other Americans, or any group really for that matter.

I just think these clips are hysterical - especially the clip in which the Governor of Arkansas is interviewed! Great Television - wish we had it here in America :nod:

Ha, I like the concept of nationalism, but America is fat, stupid, lazy, and immoral and I can't love it for that. That's not to say I don't have national pride though. Anyways, all of these clips are great. "congradulations Canada on keeping your igloo"

Yes, please. I hate stereotypes. America has it's problems as well as other countries. No country is perfect. If there was one, why aren't we all immigrating there right away?

Besides, the tape could have been edited. Or they could have paid people to give their answers. (the latter is very very very very very unlikely)

It probably was edited or would have been edited. If they spent their time interviewing others to make fun of Americans (I didn't see the clips, but, from other's comments, I'm guessing they wanted to make it funny.) If somehow, the statistics didn't match what they wanted, I'd say they'd be editted.

And I seriously doubt other countries know a lot about some other countries stuff as well.

But please don't get into a fight. I'm getting a headache just reading this topic.

You should probably watch the clips then, it seems fairly unlikely that the clips were severely edited in order to achieve the final result. If they were editing them to deceive the general public they would have been revealed as frauds a long time ago.

They did have a segment once where they showed the clips in where Americans caught on to the fact that the goal of the interview was to make fun of them.

The bottom line is that these clips are funny; they just aren't funny for Americans that is why the warning is on the thread.

If you hail from the United States of America you probably will not find this funny at all, and you will probably be highly annoyed as many Americans are.

There is a similar type of thing where they interview Americans on the street in a segment on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Sure, it can be funny, but as one can glean from this thread, people from other countries use programs such as "Talking to Americans" as a basis to form an opinion of Americans. I highly doubt anyone from Canada or Europe would give two @#$%s about a show that would air the interviews that showed Americans in a positive light.

There is a similar type of thing where they interview Americans on the street in a segment on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Sure, it can be funny, but as one can glean from this thread, people from other countries use programs such as "Talking to Americans" as a basis to form an opinion of Americans. I highly doubt anyone from Canada or Europe would give two @#$%s about a show that would air the interviews that showed Americans in a positive light.

The point is that Americans know absolutely nothing about Canada, which you just illustrated with your little spiel there. American television is much more popular in Canada then Canadian television. The most popular sitcoms, news programs, talk shows and dramas are all American. American television for the most part shows America in a positive light and I am sure that a vast majority of Canadians are more interested in watching positive American interviews on Oprah, then they are in watching negative interviews on This Hour Has 22 Minutes.

I have trouble remembering the last time I saw a Canadian television show, but I am certain that I saw an American program yesterday.

I heared about this show a while ago and it was said that it's made because Americans make jokes about Canadians.

Anyway, guys, no hard feelings for eachother! The Dutch and Belgian constantly make jokes about eachother, and they aren't always nice, but we're the best friends out there :indifferent:

In Belgium we always say the Dutch are greedy and arrogant and in The Netherlands they say Flemish is a French dialect, that we are a conservative farmer's nation. There's always a little truth in those jokes, but they are meant to laugh, not to cause anger. And I'm pretty sure the Dutch people around here like the Belgians despite the jokes, and the same thing goes for me.

Regarding that France vs US thing. From what I know, and I live close to France, the French are not constantly laughing with Americans, I think most French people don't care much about it. If there's one nation that should feel offended by the French it's certainly not the US. My nation and people have a lot more reason to despise France, although we don't. It's easily forgotten, but in the north of France there's a region that once belonged to Flanders, where people spoke Flemish. The French forced the people there to speak French, they "brainwahsed" those Flemings that Flemish (or Dutch) is a peasant's language, the language for the lowest of the lowest.

Of course that happened in the past and has fortunatly stopped the past 20 years, but if you Americans feel angry about some criticism you get from France think about that first.

Yeah, I think the stereotyping isn't a good thing. The show is just laughing with it, but I wouldn't take it so seriously. In any country you'll find people that know absolutely nothing about the neighbour countries, doesn't mean every single person in that country is like that.

Exactly, is like when all italians are depicted as lazy pastaeating, mandolinoplaying mafiarelated people, or when germans are said to eat only krauts and potatoes, or spanish dancing flamenco. Stereotypes seem to have a dark fascination over us, it's really very easy to indulge on them. Have you ever used them? I can bet i did sometime in the past. and i agree it's very hard to avoid using them, but one must always be vgilant... :P

Isn't it true, my fellow beerdrinking belgian friend? :P

:P