Audio Design 5 - Voice List

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2016 at 2:57 AM, GunChleoc said:

Since we don't have enough information about Gallic, the idea was to use Old Welsh for the Gauls and Goidelic for the Britons, although this won't be accurate.

that's terribly upsetting. there's plenty of literature on ancient gaulish - though most of the text is in french. even then, on the first page of this thread someone has generously written out everything anyone working on this mod needs. if you follow europa barbarorum II, there's plenty more to reference for voicing gaulish. at the very least, i would rather the gaul civilization have latin or ancient greek voices than old welsh.. it would be more accurate

25 minutes ago, sleep said:

that's terribly upsetting. there's plenty of literature on ancient gaulish - though most of the text is in french. even then, on the first page of this thread someone has generously written out everything anyone working on this mod needs. if you follow europa barbarorum II, there's plenty more to reference for voicing gaulish. at the very least, i would rather the gaul civilization have latin or ancient greek voices than old welsh.. it would be more accurate

• You can help us with that French text? We have enough French speaker here.
  • Europa Barbarorum, have nice references but we mustl be careful with that. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Can we talk about the organization of what needs recording & translating?
Some of the lines in the audio voice list have been recorded but others have not, correct?

I have some recording equipment and know an actress that could help, but I am confused about what needs doing.
I am technically inclined and could submit a patch including audio files & any xml or whatever is needed, but can't find any documentation on this.
Perhaps I can help draft some docs as well?

@Itms @Samulis @dmzerocold @OmriLahav would be the most knowledgeable in that area. I might help too.

@Sundiata can you update that wiki page with the Kushites voices ? (while you are at it fix Mauryan)

So currently what we need is:

Someone to record 

- Kushites Voices (I started but didn't have time to finish and variation dont hurt)

Research and record 

- Gaul, Brit, Maur, Iberian (Basque) Voices maybe @Anaxandridas ho SkandiatesSkandiatesSkandSkanSkandiatesSkandiatesSkan

Has some voices resources

You can also record variants for Greek and Latin voices. We might need some accents for different civs as well

2 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

@Sundiata can you update that wiki page with the Kushites voices ? (while you are at it fix Mauryan)

Wiki is updated for Kush :)  https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Audio_Voice_List

I don't understand what is going on with the Mauryan one... :( It looks like it's having a mental breakdown in every language but Sanskrit, or Prakrit, or whatever language Mauryas are supposed to speak in-game...

38 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Wiki is updated for Kush :)  https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Audio_Voice_List

I don't understand what is going on with the Mauryan one... :( It looks like it's having a mental breakdown in every language but Sanskrit, or Prakrit, or whatever language Mauryas are supposed to speak in-game...

Ignore that table at the bottom of the page. What we need is a list of phrases per language. I've organized the page a bit, hopefully it helps.

• Like 1

@Anaxandridas ho SkandiatesSkandiatesSkandiatesSkandiate

You should find everything you are looking for here

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Audio_Voice_List

Ignore the table at the bottom. 

Remember you have to sign the legal waiver as well as anyone recording voices with you. Also everyone doing so have the rights to be credited properly even if their contribution is only linguistic.

As for hiring actors that's something we cannot afford.

As for replacing Farsi with old Persian it's planned @Itms and @dmzerocold are working on this I believe. Contact them directly for more information.

I committed the Farsi voices to improve the game experience a bit and because I believe the contribution should be valued. Could always be used for a mod as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

I did not mean hiring actors, rather I meant volunteers?)

Sure however I believe you're way overestimating the amount of volunteers willing to go  through that process. 

3 hours ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

then that person should still get full honour and recognition for it, a line in the credits like all the other ones. For it is good to contribute to something good and beautiful, and we all do our best, and also I make mistakes and am happy when we can get closer to the truth, even if that means I have to suffer criticism sometimes. Our common result at the end is what really matters!

Nobody gets removed from their credits unless they explicitly ask so, or GDPR compells us to.

3 minutes ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

My dear Stanislas I am not overestimating, you guys try to find volunteers - if you can't, I will take care of that too, in due course. I believe in 0 a.d., problems are here to be solved.

My dear Anexandrias we never go after volunteers we let them come to us. Forcing people is not da way. You must be happy to work for 0 A D and only then can you give your best.

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...