WWII Gaming Is Junk

Swellick

Hey yall!

I've been doing a massive WWII research paper for school and I realized how much RTS games lack. (examples from Empires:DOTMW) Think about it, a guy shoots a range of 5 or 6, but a panzer shoots the same?! There are NO trains; absolutly no supply. People revert completely to mechanized warfare. Oh, and no industry. ;) Get my drift?

So, has WFG ever considered making a true WWII RTS game?

If not, let's talk. :)

You know, we now have a gaming forum now since your absence Swellcik. :)

Might I add there is not a single SP WWII game with a German POV. Just because they were led by Nazis seems to be justification to having them slaughtered in most games (this goes for movies as well). It'd be refreshing to play as Germans in SP modes yet not have to be a Nazi at the same time.

I voted no, because there is a bunch of well researched WWII games out there: the whole "Close Combat" series is terrific. And it has nice graphics that still withstand the natural "wearing of time".

And there are also many more turn based games worth of palying.

Maybe a Mod Pack should be better...

I voted no too; a game is mostly about fun, not historical accuracy. If you want the latter buy a book :)

Think about it, a guy shoots a range of 5 or 6, but a panzer shoots the same

I think this is the least to worry about, these are just rediculous details. What's more important are the social, political and scientifical aspects. I don't care what kind of guns they use, what I care about are scenes like in the Russian campaign of Call of Duty where it seems that Russian officers were all monsters, while in the British and American campaigns the officers are heroes. ;)

All good points, and I wasn't saying right away. Nor was I saying exacting detail... that would be a horrible - games would last for weeks on end. But I do hope that trains, better units, etc... get implimented into future WWII games. Also, I was talking RTS - not FPS - FPS is more accurate in their own way, though it's very difficult to compare the two styles... Looks like a tie, who will break it?

I never heard of that game ever. As for WWII RTS's, perhaps they're not that realistic because they often focus on different time periods as well (EE, RoN, Empires:DOTMW, ect.). Perhaps a WWII-only game will be more accurate. If anyone wants it, I'll post some ideas I've came up with for a WWII RTS (just for fun).

Give us a couple BO, and anyone else that wants to. BUT ONLY 2.

Here are my 2.

supply: If a unit is not in supply he gradually loses HP. He is supplied by being inside the proximity of a Town center (tile range of 20 in every direction), supply cart (range of 5,) , or very close to natural reasources such as berry trees and animals. Units don't cost food, only gold. Food is deducted - 2 per 1 pop every 20 seconds. so if you have a pop of 200 ppl in supply, 400 food deducted every 20 seconds - In 1 min that's 1200 food. Food would have to be recieved faster too!

Good Ground: If a guy is fighting in a particular tile (such as on a hill or in a destroyed blding) he lives longer. there would be 4 types: flat, high, rubble, and forest.

Resource List:

Rations- Keeps infratry units at maxium effecteness. Rations are generated by farms and can be stored at food dumps for later transport. (No food gatherring, too Middle Aged) ;)

Ammunition- Allows all non-melee fighting units to fight. Units that run out of ammunition can't fight at all. Generated by munitions factory and stored at ammuniton dumps for transport (like all other dumps).

Steel- Used to build vehicles and buildings. Generated by steel plant (I need better names.

Oil/Gas- Required to be able to move vehicles. Generated by oil refineries and stored in oil dumps (maybe just one dump will do for all resources).

Supply System:

There are three main ways to transport resources to units; by truck, train, or sea. For transportation, all dumps, resource "generators", ports, and railyards can generate a variable amount of truck convoys. Those generated by "dumps" can be assigned to supply a company of units while trucks generated from other places can only be assigned to deliver resources to factories or "dumps". Trains can carry much more resources at a time than trucks but are of course confinned to rails. Ports can generate ships to send resources from one port to another.

Wow..... anyone care to add...... :)

Swellik, not ot insist, have you ever played one of the Close Combat series games?

Some things you (and Blak Op) suggested were already there.

The only limit is that you don't "build" armies: you play only the combat part of the story (and it's very entertaining Klaas, i guarantee!), but you are allowed to upgrade your units as you go on in the campaign. and your units get more experienced and gain morale with the passing of time (of course only if they survive the bloodshed ;) )

I have never played Close Combat games... they sound interesting though. As to WFG creating one, it still seems that it's a tie between yes and no. YET there are 5 votes for maybe.... rather confusing. It looks highly contraversial. So, I have 2 suggestions ( it's already been discussed... sort-of)

1. How about WFG finishes one of it's projects and then invests the manpower from that game into a seriously awesome WWII RTS game.

2. Begin the WWII project now... the project wouldn't start in earnest for a few months. during that time there would be a web page for it, and the begining of some ideas - basicly a side project for the time being.

Personally I feel that it would greatly increase the growth of WFG. Why? Because lots of ppl are interested in WWII, think how many games include it... think about all the books in the library about WWII... WWII is a popular subject. So, I feel that you would have no trouble finding ppl to work on the project. That's just my opinion...