Any Plans To Work On Other Rts Games?

Hailstorm_master

hmm, i like that idea, makes things a lot easier, btw I always thought that the 2 games were using the same engine, guess i'm wrong tho, anybody know what the differences between the two engines are?

anyways here's a bunch of infromation on the Uliginosus (aka a swamp/marsh cultures from AoF)

Uliginosus

The Uliginosus are a culture united by their environment; the swamps and marsh in which they live. Lizardfolk form the core of this culture, with a variety of other creatures providing support where needed. Most of the supporting creatures need to be mounted by lizardfolk to be controllable; the exceptions are serpent flies, ants, trolls and troglodytes. All units, except serpent flies and ants, regenerate hit points. Regeneration occurs much faster when units are idle; trolls regenerate three hit points per second, while all other units regenerate at one hit point per second.

Uliginosus structures are approximately the same cost, but are relatively weak when compared to other cultures’ structures. Troglodytes and two types of lizardfolk can construct them, and each structure produces a marsh terrain that slowly spreads around each building until a certain size of the terrain is reached. This terrain reduces the movement speed of enemy units that walk over it by ten percent, the effect lasts for forty-five seconds. The main structure for the Uliginosus is the tribunal grounds; it trains all three types of lizardfolk (obsidianblade warriors, javelin throwers and ritualists), along with troglodytes. General Uliginosus upgrades, god worshipping and troglodyte and lizardfolk specific upgrades are researched at tribunal grounds. Huts provide 5 population spots each and have no other value then to increase the maximum population. Bogs train serpent flies, ants and trolls along with researching upgrades for those units. Breeding pits train mountable creatures (raptors, basilisks, hydras and dragons), research mountable creature and certain food upgrades, and can produce food. Strongholds are the Uliginosus’ defensive structure, being stronger and doing more damage then most of the other defensive structures in AoF.

Obsidianblade warriors are the basic infantry unit of the Uliginosus and javelin throwers acts as the basic ranged unit. The former excels verse enemy infantry and the latter is good verse enemy archers. Both of these units are capable of building structures, while also partaking in the collection of food, ore and wood; they are best at gathering food and wood. Ritualists are the third type of lizardfolk and are the Uliginosus’ only spell caster. Along with having the ability to cast various weakening and other types of spells, ritualists also have the ability to block enemy spells within a certain radius around them. All three of the lizardfolk units are capable of mounting creatures trained from the breeding pits. The newly formed mounted units retain the stats of the creature that they originated from. The only exception is when ritualists are mounted. In that case the new unit gains the ritualist’s anti-magic radius. When killed, the mounted lizardfolk unit appears just as he was when he/she originally mounted, meaning that just the creature they were riding is killed. Troglodytes are another of the Uliginosus’ basic infantry units. While they excel verse cavalry, they are also capable of building structures and collecting the three main resources, excelling at the gathering of ore. Serpent flies are great scouts and can perform raids decently due to their faster speed and their ability to fly. Trolls are the strongest of the Uliginosus’ infantry, having more hit points and attack then troglodytes and obsidianblade warriors, although taking up more population slots. As mentioned earlier there special ability is regeneration, doing so faster then any other Uliginosus unit. Of the two types of ants, one is created for economic purposes; the carrier ant. Its sole function is to act as a mobile resource drop site. Although, it does have some combat potential, its cousins, mauler ants, are much better at dealing with enemies, especially enemy structures. The raptors are the fastest of the mountable creatures and thus act as the Uliginosus’ main cavalry. Of the two kinds of raptors, marauder raptors are better in general combat and striker raptors are better at demolishing enemy buildings. Also, striker raptors provide the only means to extract diamonds from diamond quarries; concentrated acid. Basilisks, like raptors, perform cavalry roles and although they are slower, they are much stronger and more durable. Chaos basilisks have a petrify attack, allowing them to instantly kill an opponent. Their cousins, savage basilisks, have more hit points and armor, making them the more durable of the two species. Shadow hydras are the slowest and the most massive of the Uliginosus’ cavalry units. They begin their existences with a single head but grow more when injured, meaning that the more you hurt hydras the harder they are to kill. The last Uliginosus units to mention are the jade dragons. They are the biggest units in AoF, can fly and use a fiery, acidic spray to attack enemies, making them the most feared of all the Uliginosus units.

Oh yeah, both TLA and 0AD are using the same engine. :D But TLA will have differences in gameplay. I say look through both 0AD and TLA to see what game will most resemble yours the most in gameplay. :D

As for Uliginosus, everything's cool about it except for the trolls. For a race where some can be turned to stone in standard fantasy, trolls seem out of place in a largely organic civilization, unless your trolls will be different from what we think usually of them.

So it is based off the same engine. I've looked over both games a couple of times, never seems to be a lot of striaght foward information about gameplay, although i recall 0AD having a few good FAQ on it, i'll take a look over them sometime soon.

As for the troll, well yeah, I know what you mean. As you thought, my troll concept is a little different from the normal one, the idea came to me from looking at the picture of a troll in D&D monster manual. It's green, hunchbacked, long arms and legs, mossy looking skin, large claws. I figure it would slowly wander the swamp in search of prey, able to consume any type of animal it finds, fearing nothings, due to it's size and shear strength, although not truely intelligent.

They will both use the same exact engine with only scripts being the difference. Difference in gameplay will be scripted, so it's just a matter of learning the scripting language :D. I haven't been able to do much work on it lately, but the main goal of this project was to make the most customizable RTS engine out there. The design document is one of the important successes of the development, you should really get to work for next year :D We should be done by then. In the mean time, stir up interest just as you are. Be open to debate and suggestions, and start a team of game designers, artists, and scripters willing to learn the engine. Who knows, you might even become a part of WFG, but don't expect help from the getgo. Work and dedication to your game concept will get you everywhere.