Sign in to follow this  
m7600

===[TASK]=== Kushite Stable

Rather than having four small vaults, I'd much prefer a single, large, horizontal vault on top. Also, the second storey does not really make much sense, though I suppose that doesn't need changing, since many existing stables in the public mod have that too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nescio said:

Rather than having four small vaults, I'd much prefer a single, large, horizontal vault on top.

I think it looks ok, but again, I think it's a matter of personal taste. 

3 hours ago, Nescio said:

Also, the second storey does not really make much sense, though I suppose that doesn't need changing, since many existing stables in the public mod have that too.

That's where they keep the hay :P 

• Like 1

Great!

If you want to make me even happier, could you add a low stone wall to the right of the stairs, like the one on the left, to properly designate the corner of the courtyard?

Also, wood was scarce in the Nile region, and barrels were probably a Celtic invention, so baskets or terracotta would probably be more appropiate, though I suppose that's just me nitpicking again. :) 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Great!

If you want to make me even happier, could you add a low stone wall to the right of the stairs, like the one on the left, to properly designate the corner of the courtyard?

Also, wood was scarce in the Nile region, and barrels were probably a Celtic invention, so baskets or terracotta would probably be more appropiate, though I suppose that's just me nitpicking again. :) 

Yeah, or piles of hay? Maybe the bundles of hay like on the Nuba Village.

• Like 1

I agree about the barrels, but I should say that they were copy-pasted from the Kushite storehouse. In other words, if they are going to be replaced, then several other Kushite buildings need to be updated as well.

1 minute ago, m7600 said:

I agree about the barrels, but I should say that they were copy-pasted from the Kushite storehouse. In other words, if they are going to be replaced, then several other Kushite buildings need to be updated as well.

Go ahead, I won't stop you. :)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Go ahead, I won't stop you. :)

Lol, but I think that it would be polite if I asked @LordGood first. It's one thing to chop up his models in order to make new ones, but if I'm going to modify an already existing model, I thought I'd ask him first if he's cool with that. So, LordGood, what do you think?

1 minute ago, LordGood said:

Go ahead, but see if you can replace them with other, more regionally appropriate props

I think the green pot (no pun intended) from the civic center and other buildings could work just fine.

13 hours ago, Nescio said:

Rather than having four small vaults, I'd much prefer a single, large, horizontal vault on top. Also, the second storey does not really make much sense, though I suppose that doesn't need changing, since many existing stables in the public mod have that too.

I agree.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I agree.

I already fixed it, dude. See the update that I posted? The one that has, you know, a screenshot and the files? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, m7600 said:

(no pun intended) 

Spoiler

25th Dynasty Egyptian incense burner.jpeg

The kingdom of Kush kushite relief cut stone wall carving Sudan Richard Lepsius aethiopen aethiopien denkmaeler begerauich begrawiya royal necropolis of Meroe queen amanishakheto ritual incense noblewomen prince.jpg

8764c14719bd7f43920b6f6041eedf12.jpg

1 hour ago, m7600 said:

I think the green pot (no pun intended) from the civic center and other buildings could work just fine.

I actually think it looks awful, no offense, I know you just copied it from the other structures, where they are my least favorite prop as well.

Kushites were master potters, and produced some absolutely exquisite pottery. I'll make some more posts about their more elaborately decorated pieces in the future.

But for general storage, and "outside pottery", they used large terracotta jars, which were often undecorated, or simply had decorations painted unto the red/orange terracotta. But generally most of the large pots/jars would have had this distinct reddish/orange color. Not green. Green pigments were actually somewhat rare and expensive in Kush, and were used in elite funerary murals and such, but not so much for pottery. They also imported Mediterranean amphoras, as well as produced imitation amphoras locally. These types of pottery can be used richly. They were the primary mode of storage for all kind of things, and large pots with fresh water could be found in the courtyards of most houses.

These are the best references to use for Kushite pottery that would actually be commonly visible outside (Period Napato-Meroitic period pottery references from Sudan):

Spoiler

Kingdom of Kush Kushite burial chamber tomb rock cut cavern pottery in situ.jpg

Kingdom of Kush Kushite pottery in situ inside a rock cut tomb burial chamber.jpg

Kushite pottery grave goods.jpg

Kingdom of Kush Kushite finds of Campanian amphora wine vessels mediterranean pottery.jpg

Large meroitic jars.jpg

Meroe pottery 2.jpg

Meroe pottery 4.jpgJar_with_vine_pattern,_Qustul,_Cemetery_Q,_tomb_417,_Meroitic_Phase_IIB,_50_BC_to_200_AD,_ceramic,_paint_-_Oriental_Institute_Museum,_University_of_Chicago_-_DSC08049.JPGJar_with_seated_frogs,_Nubia,_Ballana,_Cemetery_B,_tomb_208,_Meroitic_Phase_IV,_240-300_AD,_ceramic,_paint_-_Oriental_Institute_Museum,_University_of_Chicago_-_DSC08065.JPGjar-with-raised-decoration-meroitic-period-270-bcad-320-from-egypt-KC34CT.jpg51713857_299700260740745_4324412784775280970_n.jpg1098px-thumbnail.jpgJar_with_serpent,_Nubia,_Semna_South_cemetery,_tomb_N-224,_Meroitic_Period,_200_BC_to_300_AD,_ceramic,_paint_-_Oriental_Institute_Museum,_University_of_Chicago_-_DSC08050.JPG.jpg

louvre-grande-bouteille-decoree-rinceaux.jpg

Jar_with_human-headed_frog,_Nubia,_Ballana,_Cemetery_B,_tomb_66B,_Meroitic_Phase_IIB,_50_BC_to_200_AD,_ceramic,_paint_-_Oriental_Institute_Museum,_University_of_Chicago_-_DSC08060.JPG76552_800.jpg

Cylindrical_jar_with_cobras_spitting_ankhs,_Nubia,_Ballana,_Cemetery_B,_tomb_130,_Meroitic_Phase_III,_200-250_AD,_ceramic,_paint_-_Oriental_Institute_Museum,_University_of_Chicago_-_DSC08059.JPG

76774.jpg

Kingdom of Kush Kushite pottery Meroitic period.jpg

• Thanks 1

Really informative and interesting, @Sundiata. Especially the part about the green pigment being expensive. I always thought that purple was the only expensive pigment in Ancient times. They had to get it by crushing hundreds of sea snails, which only yielded a small amount.
So, looks like the ceramics for the Kushite buildings are going to get an update. Since @LordGood has given his permission, I'll start this week.

EDIT: BTW I want one of those cool pipes like in the references.

Edited by m7600
  • Like 2