Sign in to follow this  
m7600

===[TASK]=== Kushite Range

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this, or if I should post this somewhere else. This is my first contribution. @Stan` told me that the Kushites need models for the archery range, stables, elephant stables, and workshop, since they're currently using the models from the Ptolemies. In addition to the .dae (Collada) file, I'm also attatching the .blend file, the ambient occlusion texture, and, why not, the updated actor .xml file. Also a couple of screenshots in the Atlas editor.
2123193780_Screenshotfrom2020-07-1920-53-15.thumb.png.c8eaa404eb3963280bbb13ab07f21e2f.png

24656310_Screenshotfrom2020-07-1920-53-35.thumb.png.bd96324e778f8a4f581f4e6eb9992148.png

kush_range.png

kush_range.dae kush_range.blend range.xml

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thanks! There's some vertices that could be merged, and the polycount could be reduced.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, m7600 said:

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this, or if I should post this somewhere else. This is my first contribution. @Stan` told me that the Kushites need models for the archery range, stables, elephant stables, and workshop, since they're currently using the models from the Ptolemies.

Could you rename this thread (i.e. edit opening post) to

===Task=== Kushite range, stable, workshop

Since they'll probably be committed together once you're finished. :)

Also, how do you want to be listed in the credits, nickname only, or also your real name?

• Thanks 1

Actually it's ===[TASK]=== Kushite Range, and I'd like to have them in separate threads thanks.

It looks good  So on that end you're good , now I will try to look at the geometry :)Geometry looks good in general but there are some tweaks you can do. You can save some polygons by removing the bottom faces. (wall + beams)

Geometry

image.png

The inner faces are probably useless

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Bows seem to be floating in the air. You might want to add prop points and use the actually unit props instead. If not you should at least smooth them :) A mix shade smooth and edge split should do the trick

image.png

Flying pots :D

image.png

This seems to be a waste of polygons, and on each corner vertices should be merged, maybe try starting with a cylinder instead ?

image.png

Be careful with face overlap or you'll get bad flickering :) You might want to connect that wall to the support beam instead of making it go through.

image.png

If you add more props, make sure to rename this one. Also you might want to add a prop_projectile

image.png

Those pots look a little bland... Maybe some player color?

image.png

Or use

image.png

Try to avoid stretching on big areas where possible.

image.png

EDIT: Sorry for the wall, and hopefully there won't be much comments after that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nescio said:

Also, how do you want to be listed in the credits, nickname only, or also your real name?

m7600 is fine for that purpose.

@Stan` Thanks for the input! I've fixed everything that you pointed out. Here's the updated files. Of course, changes to the mesh imply that the ambient occlusion map has to be re-baked, so I'm attaching the new version for that as well. A couple of comments from my side:
- I didn't use the Edge Split modifier for the bows. You seem to really like that modifier, since you've suggested it to me in the past for the mod I'm working on. Personally, I'm not a fan of it, because it creates unwanted islands, and then it's a hassle to select what was previously a single thing. But I'm willing to change my mind if a good case is made for that modifier : P
- I used a cylinder for the dome, like you suggested. However, I should mention that the original one was copy-pasted with Shift + D from the Kushite blacksmith... In other words, if the original dome is wrong, then changes need to be made to all of the buildings that use it, like the blacksmith.
- I didn't include a prop_projectile because the actor .xml file doesn't have one... I don't know if other ranges for other civs have that, I haven't checked.

I think that's all. All of the other changes that you suggested were made.

kush_range.png

kush_range.dae kush_range.blend

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, m7600 said:

I didn't use the Edge Split modifier for the bows. You seem to really like that modifier, since you've suggested it to me in the past for the mod I'm working on. Personally, I'm not a fan of it, because it creates unwanted islands, and then it's a hassle to select what was previously a single thing. But I'm willing to change my mind if a good case is made for that modifier : P

I actually didn't like it/ didn't use it for a long time. :) I now use it a lot because it gives me an easy control for smoothing rough surfaces. One can also use y for that purpose. I use ctrl+L a lot to select objects so while it"s more clicks it's not that bad :)

I used a cylinder for the dome, like you suggested. However, I should mention that the original one was copy-pasted with Shift + D from the Kushite blacksmith... In other words, if the original dome is wrong, then changes need to be made to all of the buildings that use it, like the blacksmith.

Well might be a simple beginner task at some point. The idea is to not include more debt :) It's good that you reused other parts from other buildings as it help improve consistency.

- I didn't include a prop_projectile because the actor .xml file doesn't have one... I don't know if other ranges for other civs have that, I haven't checked.

projectile props can be specified in the template as well I believe. However, often times people doing the balancing and gameplay find themselves missing little stuff like that. For instance most of the boats are missing a garrison flag. Adding it beforehand on the ships would have been easy now it's a bit annoying :)

Thanks for the update I will look at the mesh tomorrow to see if I haven't forgotten something.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stan` said:

It's good that you reused other parts from other buildings as it help improve consistency.

The entire model was made by Frankensteining parts from other Kushite buildings. In this case, blacksmith and dock. The props were also copied from the Ptolemy archery range. There were very few parts of this building that I made from scratch (the second version of the dome, for example).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, m7600 said:

The entire model was made by Frankensteining parts from other Kushite buildings. In this case, blacksmith and dock. The props were also copied from the Ptolemy archery range. There were very few parts of this building that I made from scratch (the second version of the dome, for example).

Common practice, at least in my case.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, LordGood said:

haha i thought that geometry looked familiar,  well done!

Your meshes are really cool, I've learned a lot from dissecting them : P
For personal projects I make my own meshes from scratch, but for contributions to the vanilla game, I think it's better to use what's already there, whenever possible.

• Like 2

Hey just looked at this one there are still a bunch of extra faces you could remove.

image.png

If you align the rocks faces (select faces shift +s  0 enter) you won't need any of the inner faces

image.png

Pots still have useless bottom faces I guess you can wait till you replace by the ones in the mercenary camp :)  or other of your creation

image.png

Same for the arrows

Bow strings are sometimes white sometimes black not sure if intended

Red dots in the target could be player color

@LordGood can you take some of your time to review the other buildings, please?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stan` said:

Hey just looked at this one there are still a bunch of extra faces you could remove.

Thanks Stan. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but all of those parts were copied from other Kushite buildings. In other words, all of the Kushite buildings have extra faces that need to be removed : P

It's possible yes @LordGood left a lot of unused faces on those buildings... But since all buildings are independant it's nice if new ones don't have the defects :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stan` said:

It's possible yes @LordGood left a lot of unused faces on those buildings... But since all buildings are independant it's nice if new ones don't have the defects :D

I can clean up the old ones as well. I really like the models that @LordGood made, so any changes that I make to them will not affect how the buildings look, just polycount reduction on any extra faces and whatnot.

• Like 1

New version. I removed the extra faces, made all of the bow strings black, and the red target dot is now the player color. On a side note, one of the things that I find unnecessarily tedious is to rebake the ambient occlusion texture whenever there is a small change to the geometry. I have the suspicion that this could be simplified somehow, maybe by automating it with a Python script that can be used in Blender? @Stan`, you have Python experience, any thoughts on that idea?

kush_range.png

kush_range.dae kush_range.blend

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do with Python here. I have a different process with Cycles which also uses the GPU to bake, but that's not easier. What I usually do is wait for the building to have a somewhat final state before actually baking ambient occlusions, because unlike yours mine have a few props, with multiple textures, which make the process even more tedious.

It's okay for me. I'd like to get an approval by @LordGood, if possible and I'll commit it :) Dunno if you want to wait for the new Kushite props

Great work!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Dunno if you want to wait for the new Kushite props

Great work!

Thanks! The new props are going to take some time, because the green pots are used in a lot of buildings, so I'll have to update all of those : P