Polar_Sea - With the attacking wolves

kgwedi

I like the challenge of the attacking wolves in "polar_sea", but after about 20 minutes my computer slows way down and soon is doing an update every few seconds. This is because of so many wolves. I am guessing 500 or 1000. This makes the game unplayable.

I went to the "polar_sea_triggers.js" file and made the delay of wolf spawning from 1000 to 1500. This still gives a whole lot of wolves, but I can now kill them fast enough to keep the computer from slowing down too much. 

The AI, used by the enemy is not very good against the wolves. Even after an hour, the enemy (usually Spartans) are still in town phase.

I always play Mauryans. The ranged units (Longbowmen Archers, Elephant Archers, and Indian Light Calvary) will never shoot arrows or Javelins. Ranged Units will only slaughter. I am sure this is a bug. A Bamboo Spearman is better at killing wolves than a ranged unit is.

I  used many War Elephants to sacrifice themselves while guarding Bamboo Spearman, that were building a Fortress. Once I had a Fortress, I was able to try Maiden Archers against the wolves. Maiden Archer fired arrows fast and long ranged like normal, and the wolves stood no chance. Maiden Archers rule.

0 A.D. is a wonderful game. Thank you to the designers, very much.

Edited by kgwedi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are correct that global total would be best, but I think the total wolf count is infinity. I could change the number of wolves at each spawn, and the time between spawns.I was also able to change the time until the "first" spawn of wolves. 

I didn't want to change the game to make it easier, I just wanted the game to NOT stop my computer. I think being attacked by a thousand wolves is very similar to being attacked by 10,000 wolves.

All the attacking wolves feels sort of zombie like :-)

I mean, set a max limit on current wolf count and don't spawn if this limit is reached. It will punish those that aren't cleaning up their base though and benefit those who did since they won't have to care about spawning, but that might be a feature instead of a bug :-)