Sign in to follow this  
m7600

Turning 0ad's models into lineart

Just something I did for fun with Blender. Kushite civic center, house and storehouse.

kush_lineart_01.png

• Like 10

Do you mind if I share this on Social Media? You can use the bisect tool to remove the bottom part :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stan` said:

Do you mind if I share this on Social Media? 

Not at all, you may share it : )

I can write a tutorial on how I made them. It actually has very few steps.

2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Can you make me a bottom less version? :)

Sure. Give me a few minutes.

Here's a quick guide on how you can make them (I can write something more detailed if something is unclear).

1) Open Blender, remove the cube and the lamp, go to the World tab and enable Ambient Occlusion, import the buildings, and scale them down.

2) Since we are importing .dae files, the faces are triangulated, but it will be convenient to turn them into quads. Select one of the buildings, go to Edit Mode, and turn Tris to Quads:

1324312855_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0811-37-28.thumb.png.b5ba909de1d9ca1b1b92cb44ff273d52.png

3) Time to remove the lower parts of the buildings. There are different ways in which this could be done (Edge loops, hide, knife tool, etc.). Here I have chose to simply box-select and move them along the Z axis:

491998251_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0811-39-14.thumb.png.660017d21cc78968b6b5f23797bbfede.png

4) Next, go to the camera settings, select "Orthographic", change the orthographic scale to 30 or some similar value. Arrange the buildings, decide from where you want to be looking at, and press Ctrl + Alt + Numpad 0 to place the camera view there:

1255064186_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0811-45-56.thumb.png.7463b089fb9c1f39423d372c863a7a41.png

5) Go to the World tab, and change the horizon color to white. Then, go to the Scene tab, and uncheck "Solid":

423936629_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0811-44-06.thumb.png.993874d4c2c06e75ba227b660efd4729.png

6) Go to the Render tab, Post Processing, and check "Edge", change the threshold to a value between 150-200. You will also probably want to change the size of the final rendered image. Just multiply the X and Y values by 2. Press F12 to get the render, and then Save As Image.

1237875267_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0811-47-24.thumb.png.89c7cd2ef029c694d713999f6c7ac3e8.png

7) The last step is to open the image with Gimp, rearrange the elements if you think that's necessary, make any cosmetic changes that you want (like using a duplicated layer set to Screen, for example) scale the image down to whatever size you think is appropriate for social media or wherever you're going to use this, and that's it.

Edited by m7600
Fixed some stuff
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Stan` said:

No problem.

You can also combine this technique with the game's textures, and some additional adjustments, to give it a sort of cartoonish look. These could be used for a 2D city builder game for example, or for an isometric RPG. Here I simply added the texture, a Sun lamp, I reduced the Edge threshold and then I made an duplicate Overlay layer in Gimp set to 25% opacity. You can change all of these values depending on how you want it to look.

kush_lineart_colors.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You can also use a similar technique for the units. The only problem here is that they are too low poly. That's great for the game engine, since it speeds up the rendering, but the unit's .dae files are tricky to turn into a 2D image that looks like concept art. Another approach is to use MakeHuman, and then Blender, and finally some adjustments with Gimp. Here is an example. The model and the assets are all from MakeHuman and it's community, I didn't make the 3d model for the woman nor the accessories. What I did do is use the previous technique to make the image look like an illustration.

woman_african_warrior_concept.png

• Like 5

it gives me so many ideas ... but I have no idea how it would be possible to create it

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lopess said:

it gives me so many ideas ... but I have no idea how it would be possible to create it

Well, maybe I can help you. Do you have MakeHuman?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Well, maybe I can help you. Do you have MakeHuman?

I am very grateful for the help, but I believe that I must finish my currently open projects, before 2021 I will have finished (I hope). I don't currently have Makehuman but I will download it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lopess said:

I am very grateful for the help, but I believe that I must finish my currently open projects, before 2021 I will have finished (I hope). I don't currently have Makehuman but I will download it.

MakeHuman is great, I strongly recommend it.

• Thanks 1

Glad you like makehuman we have a fairly new RC that you should  be be using that and the latest versions of the blender plug-ins from our GitHub repo there are versions that work with blender 2.79 as well just not maintained ATM.

Enjoy the Choice :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

Glad you like makehuman we have a fairly new RC that you should  be be using that and the latest versions of the blender plug-ins from our GitHub repo there are versions that work with blender 2.79 as well just not maintained ATM.

MakeHuman is great, but what I really find amazing is the fact that it is essentially a Python script. Anyways, I should really join the MakeHuman forum. I would like to contribute some stuff. I'm using MakeClothes and MakeTarget 1.1.

It started as a blender add-on and grew and grew been a moderator on their forum for a few years now it's now a stand alone Python app that uses QT5 for it's GUI there is ppa for 'buntu based distros as well as a Windows installer and since it's fully Python it's fairly easy to run from source in userland for those on RPM based distros punkduck just did a rewrite of MakeClothes and a newer version of make target is available check our forum for details and the GitHub repo.

Enjoy the Choice :)