Sign in to follow this  
m7600

On using Pyrogenesis for a 4x mod

So, while I'm finishing up my first mod, "African Empires", I'm thinking what other project I could work on next.

I've been searching the web for a dedicated 4x FLOSS engine, but the ones I found didn't really convince me. Not that they're bad or anything, it's just that I would like to make sort of a Dwarf Fortress clone. I know that sounds crazy right off the bat, because that game has an insane number of things. But the clone wouldn't need to be as complicated as the original DF. Only share some minimal features.

So I'm thinking of using Pyrogenesis for this. Again, I know that sounds crazy, but the minimal features that I would like to recreate are entire possible with this engine. Basically:

1) A lot of resources. Dwarf Fortress has hundreds of them, but 10-20 should be reasonable enough for a first, humble clone.

2) No unit micro. You give some global orders, such as "build" or "collect resources", and the individual units do this automatically, without having to tell each and every one of them what to do.

And that would be basically it. I think that those two things can be done with JavaScript and XML alone, without having to modify the engine's source code (maybe a few new C++ source and header files here and there, but ideally none).

I'll update this thread with screenshots after I make some experiments in the near future.

Edited by m7600
Spelling
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, m7600 said:

Ok... but what is the suggestion? That I should incorporate Indigenous people of Brazil to the possible 4x mod?

or help me with my mod :V

Just now, Trinketos said:

or help me with my mod :V

Can you give me a link so I can check it out?

7 minutes ago, Trinketos said:

Aqui tienes.

No leí todos los comentarios, pero vi los modelos. Se ven muy bien. ¿Qué clase de ayuda necesitas, exactamente? 

9 minutes ago, m7600 said:

No leí todos los comentarios, pero vi los modelos. Se ven muy bien. ¿Qué clase de ayuda necesitas, exactamente? 

Podrías hacer modelos para alguna de las civilizaciones listadas.

3 minutes ago, Trinketos said:

Podrías hacer modelos para alguna de las civilizaciones listadas.

Hmmm.... bueno, ¿por qué no? Me vendría bien hacer modelos precolombinos.

El único problema que veo con tu mod es que tienes como 10 u 11 civilizaciones para hacer... no sería un problema si tuviésemos un equipo de modeladores. Pero para uno o dos individuos, es mucho. Se puede hacer, pero tardará bastante tiempo hasta terminarlo. Mi pregunta es: ¿Es absolutamente necesario que la versión 1.0 de tu mod tenga las 11 civilizaciones? Porque sería más práctico si solo tuviese 4 al principio. El resto de las civilizaciones se puede ir agregando mediante parches. Al menos así estoy pensado mi propia mod. Le voy a ir agregando civilizaciones nuevas, pero mediante parches. De lo contrario es imposible terminar un projecto así en menos de un año.

Just now, m7600 said:

Hmmm.... bueno, ¿por qué no? Me vendría bien hacer modelos precolombinos.

El único problema que veo con tu mod es que tienes como 10 u 11 civilizaciones para hacer... no sería un problema si tuviésemos un equipo de modeladores. Pero para uno o dos individuos, es mucho. Se puede hacer, pero tardará bastante tiempo hasta terminarlo. Mi pregunta es: ¿Es absolutamente necesario que la versión 1.0 de tu mod tenga las 11 civilizaciones? Porque sería más práctico si solo tuviese 4 al principio. El resto de las civilizaciones se puede ir agregando mediante parches. Al menos así estoy pensado mi propia mod. Le voy a ir agregando civilizaciones nuevas, pero mediante parches. De lo contrario es imposible terminar un projecto así en menos de un año.

Eso es lo que quiero hacer, mi idea desde que hice el primer post era hacer a los olmecas y mayas
Planeo centrarme en Mesoamerica primero, luego en los andes y la patagonia luego en el amazonas y por ultimo en el desierto de México y E.E.U.U xd

Well, let me feather my own nest... what could I say in favor of a specific mod for Brazilian indigenous populations? There are many peculiarities that would make a 0 ad mod like this a unique case...

- Unlike what happened in Central America and the west coast of South America, the indigenous populations in Brazil have never created a "monumental architecture" civilization, like the Incas, Aztecs or Mayans;
- The teeming environment of tropical forests, as well as the predominance of languages without any writing system, all this has considerably hampered the study and understanding of these peoples and civilizations. This would pose a research challenge, indeed. But still, challenging, interesting and thought-provoking;
- Contrary to what happens in Mexico, for example, where the indigenous past is mostly something a reason of pride for the Mexican population and appears on the country's own flag, in Brazil the "Eurocentric" mentality predominates, and the studies and rescue of the indigenous past has always been something very marginalized;
- South America has a peculiar fauna; the horses were extinct in the American continent and only started to run again through these lands after the arrival of the Europeans;
- It would be necessary, of course, to establish a time frame and search indigenous peoples who had more extensive documentation to be portrayed in the game with a minimum of reliability ...

Edited by Sturm
  • Like 1

Or, you can forget all that about people, civilizations and wars and make the mod that all of us here would REALLY like to see: Dinosaurs:banana:

7 minutes ago, Trinketos said:

Eso es lo que quiero hacer, mi idea desde que hice el primer post era hacer a los olmecas y mayas
Planeo centrarme en Mesoamerica primero, luego en los andes y la patagonia luego en el amazonas y por ultimo en el desierto de México y E.E.U.U xd

Es bueno saber que tienes la idea de hacer las civilizaciones de manera sucesiva. Sino iba a empezar a pensar que estabas bien loco XD

6 minutes ago, Sturm said:

Well, let me feather my own nest... what could I say in favor of a specific mod for Brazilian indigenous populations? There are many peculiarities that would make a 0 ad mod like this a unique case...

It's a great idea! I think it would be a really cool mod.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sturm said:

- Unlike what happened in Central America and the west coast of South America, the indigenous populations in Brazil have never created a "monumental architecture" civilization, like the Incas, Aztecs or Mayans.
- The teeming environment of tropical forests, as well as the predominance of languages without any writing system, all this has considerably hampered the study and understanding of these peoples and civilizations. This would pose a research challenge, indeed. But still, challenging, interesting and thought-provoking
- Contrary to what happens in Mexico, for example, where the indigenous past is mostly something a reason of pride for the Mexican population and appears on the country's own flag, in Brazil the "Eurocentric" mentality predominates, and the studies and rescue of the indigenous past has always been something very marginalized .
- South America has a peculiar fauna; the horses were extinct in the American continent and only started to run through these lands after the arrival of the Europeans.
- It would be necessary, of course, to establish a time frame and search indigenous peoples who had more extensive documentation to be portrayed in the game with a minimum of reliability ...

Is normal because genetic, but mostly of Latam is Euro lover, since conquest. We love Europeans and try to become like them.

1 minute ago, Sturm said:

Or, you can forget all that about people, civilizations and wars and make the mod that all of us here would REALLY like to see: Dinosaurs:banana:

That would be cool too. Speaking of ideas for mods, I would like to make one sort of in the style of Medieval Fantasy. Basically humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, undead, lizard people, etc.

3 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Is normal because genetic, but mostly of Latam is Euro lover, since conquest. We love Europeans and try to become like them.

I like the history of Europe and the Ibero-America. But there came a time in the massive bombardment of movies from the Middle Ages or the Second War that made me lose part of my interest in the history of Europe :(

1 minute ago, Trinketos said:

I like the history of Europe and the Ibero-America. But there came a time in the massive bombardment of movies from the Middle Ages or the Second War that made me lose part of my interest in the history of Europe :(

I like only ancient and discovery of new world the rest as alexandermb said in mp is a history of failures.

American revolutions sounds cool (both Northamerican and Latam)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trinketos said:

For me it's never enough, especially the Middle Ages. I love Medieval movies. But it's true that since they focus only on one topic, they neglect others. 

But there are some cool movies about other continents and times. One of my favorite ones is "The Ghost and the Darkness", also known as "Garras" in Spanish (what a lazy translation). 

"Hotel Rwanda" is also one of my favorites.

• Like 2

The Ghost and the Darkness (en España: Los demonios de la noche; en México El Fantasma y la Oscuridad; en Argentina y Chile Garras) es una película que relata una historia verídica acontecida en la región del Tsavo, Kenia, en 1898. Protagonizada por Val Kilmer y Michael Douglas, el largometraje relata el ataque de dos leones a los obreros británicos durante la construcción del ferrocarril en el continente africano.

1 minute ago, m7600 said:

For me it's never enough, especially the Middle Ages. I love Medieval movies. But it's true that since they focus only on one topic, they neglect others. 

But there are some cool movies about other continents and times. One of my favorite ones is "The Ghost and the Darkness", also known as "Garras" in Spanish (what a lazy translation). 

"Hotel Rwanda" is also one of my favorites.

I remember a movie called the witch (I don't remember the name), about a shaman woman in Africa

10 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I like only ancient and discovery of new world the rest as alexandermb said in mp is a history of failures.

American revolutions sounds cool (both Northamerican and Latam)

viendo e retrospectiva mi pais nuca tuvo paz :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Mexico

Ahora cuando alla bardo entre argentina y mexico podria decirle a los argentinos ¿Cuantas guerras tenes, boludo? :V

4 minutes ago, Trinketos said:

viendo e retrospectiva mi pais nuca tuvo paz

Vele el lado positivo, men. Eres del país con la mejor comida. Hasta los chapulines son deliciosos.

1 minute ago, m7600 said:

Vele el lado positivo, men. Eres del país con la mejor comida. Hasta los chapulines son deliciosos.

la verda que si xd

8 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Decile eso a un argentino.

14 minutes ago, Trinketos said:

I remember a movie called the witch (I don't remember the name), about a shaman woman in Africa

viendo e retrospectiva mi pais nuca tuvo paz :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Mexico

Ahora cuando alla bardo entre argentina y mexico podria decirle a los argentinos ¿Cuantas guerras tenes, boludo? :V

Chiste taringuero

4 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Decile eso a un argentino

Conozco argentinos, venezolanos, peruanos, y brasileros que coinciden en que los mexicanos tienen la mejor comida. No hay maíz tan bueno como el de México.