0 A.D 1v1 World Cup Tournament July

DerekO

Hello Everyone, The Second 1v1 Tournament was a Instant Success. Since this is a monthly series I have to open registrations early. We Will accept Registrations Via the Forum and from Challonge as well.

I and my friend (Subotai_Mongol) have decided to twist it up a bit. so here are the changes

Changes:

There is now a group stage (groups of 4) 

This guarantees that you get 3 matches to play

Group stage will be played in Bo1 while the Final stage will be played in bo3

There is now a banning phase 

Maps played are now different | before: Mainland  After: Balanced Mainland - Small , Cross - Medium, and Balanced Hyrcanian Shores - Medium

Finals will be played in BO5

(This will be the Template used for the tournaments)

So without Further a Do Let me get into the Rules, and FAQ about the Tournament!

F.A.Q.

Q: When is the Tournament?
A: On July 20th, or earlier

Q: How do I register for the Tournament?
A: Go ahead to our SIGNUPS CLOSED and Go ahead and Register, Alternatively you can Just reply on the Forums That you want to participate along side your In Game Name (IGN) and I'll Pop a message to you on the Forums.

Q: Do I have to Check in for the Tournament?

A: Yes, Check in Starts 2 days before the Tournament. (July 18th)

Q: If I want to Leave the Tournament before it starts can I do so?

A: Yes, you can! If you registered on Challonge you can simply go here - https://challonge.com/july0ad/participant_settings  and Click "Unregister"

Q: What is it a Best of
A: The Tournament is a Best of 1 in Group stages, in Final Stages it becomes a best of 1 and in the finals it's a best of 5

Q: What Maps are being Played?

A: Balanced Mainland, Corinthian Isthmus, and Death Canyon

Q: What is the Map Size?
A: Games will be played on the Small Map Size

Q: If I want to contact me about something how should I?

A: Respond to this post or email me at: derekowumi@gmail.com

That Wraps up the FAQ Now the Rules and Game settings etc.

Games' Setting:

Population Limit: 300

Starting Resources: Low

Mode: Conquest

Spies: Allowed

Treasure - On

Explored Map: Off

Revealed Map: Off

Cheats: Disabled

Game Speed: Normal (x1)

Ceasefire: None

Spectators: Allowed

Tournament Rules:

Recordings: Send Files to me via Email - derekowumi@gmail.com  or Reply to this Post

Play-style: Best of 3

1v1

Groups (4 --> 2) Single Elimination

Banning Phase: Both Players can ban 1 Civilizations (Bans affects both player and it can be canceled off)

Maps used - Balanced Mainland, Corinthian Isthmus, and Death Canyon

Player Ethics:

Do not be rude

Do not pause the game before loosing

Do not Pause the game without asking for permission from your enemy and the host

If any of these rules are broken you may be kicked or banned from the tournament completely

If you're in any way interested feel free to register with any of the ways given. Wish you the best of luck in competing!

Edited by DerekO

• 2 weeks later...

Some suggestions:

Seeding:

- Players need to register (or provide as nick) their 0ad names, so we are able to provide a better balance
- The best x players (where x is the number of groups) will be randomly assigned to separate groups
- The second best x players will be randomly assigned to separate groups
- All other players will be randomly assigned to their groups

By 'best' above I mean the perceived prowess of players in 1v1, unfortunately it's subjective. We could also use ratings as a more objective criteria but I think ratings do not measure that very well at the moment.

Group Stage:

I would expect some cheesiness going on like cav start/slinger rushes and since we can't have a balanced order for choosing civilizations with Bo1 we could have a bad scenario where an expected favorite player chooses one civilization that has a major flaw against the other player's subsequent choice, e.g. first player chooses Rome or Iberians, the second Macedonians.

That said, I prefer the group stage to move fast than to have a perfect balanced matchup for now, it also adds to the entertainment factor. Expect some upsets though. This could also bring some insights for the next cup version.

Map choices:

I'd like to suggest for the Bo3s to have a map ban step where each player bans one map of the pool (the higher rated player banning first):

- Balanced Mainland (s)
- Wrench (m)
- Balanced Hyrcanian Shores (m)
- Slopes (s)
- Cross (m)

The first map to be played is the first unbanned map following the order above, so if Balanced Mainland is banned Wrench is played; if both are banned, Hyrcanian is played.
The second map to be played is loser from first map choice.
Third map to be played is first unbanned map in the pool that was not played yet.

This adds some complexity, but I think it helps less experienced players on maps with a higher skill cap like Slopes or Cross.

Final Stage:

Maybe make the final stage double elimination? It seems we have a stronger roster, would be nice to provide an additional opportunity to win the tournament, especially if we have some upsets before the finals. The losers bracket might provide some good entertainment as well since at least 8 good players will be there.

I don't mind the single civ ban, but I also don't like that a player can just repeat the same civilization on all matches. It would be nice to stipulate that a player can choose 3 different civs before the 1st match start and only pick from that pool. Higher rated picks first on the first match, loser picks first on the second match, third match are remaining civs.

Edited by badosu
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2020 at 8:32 AM, badosu said:

- Players need to register (or provide as nick) their 0ad names, so we are able to provide a better balance
- The best x players (where x is the number of groups) will be randomly assigned to separate groups
- The second best x players will be randomly assigned to separate groups
- All other players will be randomly assigned to their groups

Seeding rules are well done. but do you think they will dominate their groups?

By 'best' above I mean the perceived prowess of players in 1v1, unfortunately it's subjective. We could also use ratings as a more objective criteria but I think ratings do not measure that very well at the moment.

Agreed, Rating as a bit experimental. I feel that rating should compare both players rating. also implementing a random game playing system will be awesome. So noobs auto pair with noobs, this would also mean we can remove rating from the custom matchmaking room entirely.

That said, I prefer the group stage to move fast than to have a perfect balanced matchup for now, it also adds to the entertainment factor. Expect some upsets though. This could also bring some insights for the next cup version.

We can talk more overthat in email.but good idea

Map choices:

I'd like to suggest for the Bo3s to have a map ban step where each player bans one map of the pool (the higher rated player banning first):

- Balanced Mainland (s)
- Wrench (m)
- Balanced Hyrcanian Shores (m)
- Slopes (s)
- Cross (m)

With that said the tournament finals is a bo5. so that would mean there is no banning maps in the last games

Maybe make the final stage double elimination? It seems we have a stronger roster, would be nice to provide an additional opportunity to win the tournament, especially if we have some upsets before the finals. The losers bracket might provide some good entertainment as well since at least 8 good players will be there.

Would you like me to split the double elimination bracket in two or not see this for reference. I have made it double elim.

I don't mind the single civ ban, but I also don't like that a player can just repeat the same civilization on all matches. It would be nice to stipulate that a player can choose 3 different civs before the 1st match start and only pick from that pool. Higher rated picks first on the first match, loser picks first on the second match, third match are remaining civs.

I don't really understand you can you please rephrase that?

<iframe src="https://challonge.com/july0ad/module" width="100%" height="500" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Code for bracket

Edited by DerekO

On 7/11/2020 at 3:39 PM, DerekO said:

Seeding rules are well done. but do you think they will dominate their groups?

Most probable, the idea is that we have most balanced matchups towards the final stage. So we avoid of a death group kicking out 2 good players and/or having the most exciting matchups happen at the first brackets and taking out the excitement from the final stages.

> Would you like me to split the double elimination bracket in two or not see this for reference. I have made it double elim.

I think the simplest 2x elimination model, like from the last tournament is fine. As an addendum, to not punish the winners finalist we should give him 1 game ahead of time for the last match.

Otherwise we are really just punishing the finalist forcing him to take on the strongest players, while others can branch out to the losers bracket and sneak into the finals. So, in this case the winners bracket finalist starts the match with a 1-0 lead (as is done often in other big tournaments).

3 minutes ago, badosu said:

to not punish the winners finalist we should give him 1 game ahead of time for the last match.

Otherwise we are really just punishing the finalist forcing him to take on the strongest players, while others can branch out to the losers bracket and sneak into the finals. So, in this case the winners bracket finalist starts the match with a 1-0 lead (as is done often in other big tournaments).

I don't really understand this could you please rephrase?

With that said the tournament finals is a bo5. so that would mean there is no banning maps in the last games

Yes, but picking the order is still relevant, especially if it favors a player to win more games first and bypassing the last maps.

I don't really understand you can you please rephrase that?

For the Bo3s, players ban and pick civs for a pool. E.g.:
P1 (Higher rated) and P2
--------------------------
P1: Bans ptol / P2: Bans brit
So P1 picks ptol/gaul/sparta in civ pool and P2 picks brit/gaul/rome.
1st game: P1 (higher rated) picks ptol, P2 picks rome
2nd game: P2 (winner) picks brit / P1 picks gaul
3rd game: Remaining civs, P1 sparta / P2 gaul

For the 2nd game I think winner picking first is better as the loser can pick a counter civilization.

Edited by badosu

12 minutes ago, DerekO said:

I don't really understand this could you please rephrase?

I am not sure how to rephrase. What I mean is, the player who gets to the winners final has to play against the best player from that bracket, then has to play against the best players in the grand finals from the losers bracket (which includes the other finalist from winners bracket). If the winners grand finalist does not have an advantage, like for example starting 1-0 in the last match he's being punished for being good.

He could for example throw a game before and just win games in the losers bracket to get to the finals.

Some big tournaments with 2x elimination do this, or they have some other mechanic to account for, having a mini match called "reset stage", a bo3 for example, that if the losers finalist wins he just proceeds to the actual grand finals match, otherwise he loses.

10 minutes ago, badosu said:

I am not sure how to rephrase. What I mean is, the player who gets to the winners final has to play against the best player from that bracket, then has to play against the best players in the grand finals from the losers bracket (which includes the other finalist from winners bracket). If the winners grand finalist does not have an advantage, like for example starting 1-0 in the last match he's being punished for being good.

He could for example throw a game before and just win games in the losers bracket to get to the finals.

Some big tournaments with 2x elimination do this, or they have some other mechanic to account for, having a mini match called "reset stage", a bo3 for example, that if the losers finalist wins he just proceeds to the actual grand finals match, otherwise he loses.

I can make it so that the loosers finalist must beat the winners finalist in two matches

20 minutes ago, badosu said:

Yes, but picking the order is still relevant, especially if it favors a player to win more games first and bypassing the last maps.

WIll make sure to put this out into the email I am sending tommorow morning

24 minutes ago, badosu said:

For the Bo3s, players ban and pick civs for a pool. E.g.:
P1 (Higher rated) and P2
P1: Bans ptol / P2: Bans brit
So P1 picks ptol/gaul/sparta in civ pool and P2 picks brit/gaul/rome.
1st game: P1 (higher rated) picks ptol, P2 picks rome
2nd game: P2 (winner) picks brit / P1 picks gaul
3rd game: Remaining civs, P1 sparta / P2 gaul

For the 2nd game I think winner picking first is better as the loser can pick a counter civilization.

Great, but can players pick the same civilization three times in a row? like mauryans/mauryans/mauryans ? or not

1 hour ago, DerekO said:

WIll make sure to put this out into the email I am sending tommorow morning

Well, if you gonna send email tomorrow morning, does this mean sign up is closed? If so I can prepare video with group seeding for u to send on email.

@DerekO

We might want to make a video about the rules for the group stage.

As far as I understand:

- Each player bans a civ that's applicable to both players, maybe higher rated bans first?
- Map is balanced mainland small, 300 pop and it's a best of 1
- Maybe we allow players to request rematch if biome is savanna or tropical? Request must be done 30s in the match. If both players consent they can fix biome
- Maybe we should make a deadline for game to occur until next Sunday at 19:00 CET, if one player is absent on lobby at that time it's a forfeit, if both players are absent and they don't fulfill match until end of day, it's a tie (or both gain no points if possible to implement)
- Matches occur twice per week, between Friday 19:00 CET until next Sunday 19:00 CET. A player might fulfill up to 4 matches on the overlapping weekends to make scheduling easier, but can't advance more than the current week. For example, week 1 started previous friday and a player didn't fulfill it yet, they may fulfill week 1 and week 2 matches on the next weekend. They can't fulfill all 3 matches on the first week. Email and PMs will make it clear which players you must play on your current week and what's the deadline to make things easier.

Edited by badosu
  • Thanks 1