Sign in to follow this  
m7600

Antarctica

I've always been fascinated by Antarctica. In a way, it's the most mysterious continent. There's something about the lack of a native human population that I find sublime. While empires rose and fell throughout the centuries in other parts of the world, while armies clashed in wars and revolts, Antarctica remained inhumanly silent. While scholars debate the extent to which categories such as "Antiquity" or "Post-classical" apply to different nations in Asia, Africa, Oceania and the Americas, when it comes to the Antarctic continent those categories are, without question, entirely inapplicable. The continent's history is strictly Modern.

These are some of the sentiments that motivated me to work on a novel that I will never publish, because my literary skills suck. But perhaps I will make a 0 AD mod about it at some point. It would be set in the near future. The premise is that the human population living there in scientific labs and military bases has been steadily growing, to the point that some of them are considering the possibility of becoming independent nations. In some cases, this would be achieved peacefully through diplomatic negotiations. In other cases, it would be achieved through wars of independence. Just as the United States achieved political independence from Great Britain through revolution and war, so too the new generation of "Antarctic patriots" will revolt against the countries that control parts of the territory: violence shall replace diplomacy when the latter fails to secure the right of nations to self-determination.

The game will be an excuse to explore concepts such as "nation", "patriotism" and "culture", posing questions such as: what does it mean to be a patriot? Is the idea of an "Antarctic nationalism", fictional as it may be, any less absurd than the nationalism espoused by the patriots of today's different nation-states? Can the fictionalization of an "Antarctic culture" or "Antarctic way of life" shed light, if only indirectly and imperfectly, on the concept of "culture" that is discussed today among scholars and laypeople alike?

ceremonial-south-pole.1024x0.jpg

14 minutes ago, m7600 said:

I've always been fascinated by Antarctica. In a way, it's the most mysterious continent. There's something about the lack of a native human population that I find sublime. While empires rose and fell throughout the centuries in other parts of the world, while armies clashed in wars and revolts, Antarctica remained inhumanly silent. While scholars debate the extent to which categories such as "Antiquity" or "Post-classical" apply to different nations in Asia, Africa, Oceania and the Americas, when it comes to the Antarctic continent those categories are, without question, entirely inapplicable. The continent's history is strictly Modern.

These are some of the sentiments that motivated me to work on a novel that I will never publish, because my literary skills suck. But perhaps I will make a 0 AD mod about it at some point. It would be set in the near future. The premise is that the human population living there in scientific labs and military bases has been steadily growing, to the point that some of them are considering the possibility of becoming independent nations. In some cases, this would be achieved peacefully through diplomatic negotiations. In other cases, it would be achieved through wars of independence. Just as the United States achieved political independence from Great Britain through revolution and war, so too the new generation of "Antarctic patriots" will revolt against the countries that control parts of the territory: violence shall replace diplomacy when the latter fails to secure the right of nations to self-determination.

The game will be an excuse to explore concepts such as "nation", "patriotism" and "culture", posing questions such as: what does it mean to be a patriot? Is the idea of an "Antarctic nationalism", fictional as it may be, any less absurd than the nationalism espoused by the patriots of today's different nation-states? Can the fictionalization of an "Antarctic culture" or "Antarctic way of life" shed light, if only indirectly and imperfectly, on the concept of "culture" that is discussed today among scholars and laypeople alike?

ceremonial-south-pole.1024x0.jpg

Interesting article related to the topic, about the first human remainsĀ  in Antarctica (Believed to be an indigenous sealer who washed up on the shore):

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181019-the-bones-that-could-shape-antarcticas-future

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Interesting article related to the topic, about the first human remainsĀ  in Antarctica (Believed to be an indigenous sealer who washed up on the shore):

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181019-the-bones-that-could-shape-antarcticas-future

The controversy over the skull could be a great plot device for one of the game's maps. Excellent article.

33 minutes ago, m7600 said:

The controversy over the skull could be a great plot device for one of the game's maps. Excellent article.

Once Antarctica becomes independent, i could see it being exagerated by some as a ancient Antarctican civilization to create a Antarctican identity.

Like Protochronism in Romania.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Once Antarctica becomes independent, i could see it being exagerated by some as a ancient Antarctican civilization to create a Antarctican identity.

Like Protochronism in Romania.

Definately. I believe that there are similar phenomenons to Protochronism in other nations, maybe even in all of them, even if they don't have a specific name for it. It's a fringe phenomenon in almost every case though, definately not part of mainstream patriotisms, since it usually involves very far-fetched scenarios (think of the claims about the Lost city of Atlantis being built with alien technology by the founding fathers of whatever nation happens to be under consideration, that sort of thing). But even though it's a fringe phenomenon, it's very entrenched in the small groups that believe in it.