Sign in to follow this  
m7600

civ: Moroccans

Upon further consideration, I may have to split this civ in two. The reason is that there seems to be two distinct architectural styles belonging to different periods. Urban architecture during the Marinid Sultanate is characterized by Moorish arches and mosaics, while rural architecture is characterized by rectangular windows and clay bricks. The latter dates from the 10th century, while the former dates from the 13th century.

Here is a different version of the fortress, in the architectural style of the gates of Fez. I think I will go with this style for the rest of the buildings.

moroc_fortress_fez_style.png

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, m7600 said:

The reason is that there seems to be two distinct architectural styles belonging to different periods. Urban architecture during the Marinid Sultanate is characterized by Moorish arches and mosaics, while rural architecture is characterized by rectangular windows and clay bricks.

Maybe use moorish style for phase II and IIII buildings like barracks, fortress, mosque, cc, market; while houses and dropsites are more rural looking ?

It may date from the 10th century but in some rural parts of the country people live in that style of building to this day (You can find modern pictures of rectangular mudbrick houses, with satelite dishes and metal grating for windows )

traditional-moroccan-berber-village-hous

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Maybe use moorish style for phase II and IIII buildings like barracks, fortress, mosque, cc, market; while houses and dropsites are more rural looking ?

It may date from the 10th century but in some rural parts of the country people live in that style of building to this day (You can find modern pictures of rectangular mudbrick houses, with satelite dishes and metal grating for windows )

The thing is, I'm not sure how much control the Sultanate had over the more remote rural populations. It certainly controlled those that were closer to the urban centers, but I have the suspicion that more off-the-grid areas escaped Marinid control. They might have functioned like different states, despite being nominally part of the Sultanate. This is just a conjecture though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, m7600 said:

The thing is, I'm not sure how much control the Sultanate had over the more remote rural populations. It certainly controlled those that were closer to the urban centers,

For gameplay purposes you need to have have corral and farmstead so all civs have rural elements in some way.

Indeed many medieval and ancient cities in general were surrounded by fields outside the walls.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

For gameplay purposes you need to have have corral and farmstead so all civs have rural elements in some way.

Good point.

Update on the fortress. Starting to fix the texture and adding details. I may or may not make octagonal towers for it, I haven't decided yet.

moroc_fortress_wip_03.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today I learned that the capital of the Marinid Sultanate was neither Rabat nor Marrakesh, it was Fes (also spelled Fez). From wikipedia: "In 1276 they founded Fes Jdid, which they made their administrative and military centre. While Fes had been a prosperous city throughout the Almohad period, even becoming the largest city in the world during that time,[15] it was in the Marinid period that Fes reached its golden age, a period which marked the beginning of an official, historical narrative for the city.[16][17] It is from the Marinid period that Fes' reputation as an important intellectual centre largely dates, they established the first madrassas in the city and country.[18][19][20] The principal monuments in the medina, the residences and public buildings, date from the Marinid period.[21]"

Thus I believe that it makes sense to have almost all of the buildings in the architectural style of Fes: "As Morocco is situated in Northern Africa, bordering both the Mediterranean and the Atlantic, its location has made it vulnerable to other culture's influences. This has contributed greatly to the architecture's uniqueness. The amalgamation of styles from Mediterranean, African, Persian and Islamic cultures has resulted in the establishment of its own distinctive style, becoming unlike any other culture. As such, the architecture of Fez has developed the reputation of being the "Athens of Africa" due to its architecture encapsulating a blend of Arab and Persian cultures.[1] Unlike any other Medina in Morocco, Fez epitomises the traditional lifestyle of Morocco most notably due to instituting a large majority of the religious, civil and military sites.[2] It is often considered the cultural and spiritual centre of Morocco.[3] Hence, Fez is renowned for the survival of its diversity in architectural structures, such as mosques, hammâns, riads, souks, ramparts, palaces and madrasas. Each serve a different purpose towards shaping the urban structure of the Medina, and therefore have their own distinctive architectural style. The various structural types, each with their idiosyncratic design qualities, makes the architecture in Fez unique. (...) The use of zellige tiling has become integrated into the architecture as a result of Islamic influence.[11] In Arabic, zellige translates to “little polished stone”. Zellige tiling is a technique where individual glazed terracotta tiles are organised to form a composition of geometric patterns, in order to create unique spatial decorations. Blue, green and yellow colours were used with zellige tiling during the Marinid dynasty. Red was introduced in the 17th century, whilst natural colours did not become integrated until the 20th century."

Here are some Marinid buildings:

Ben Salah Mosque:

Ben_Salah_Mosque_minaret.thumb.jpg.663bd21c74732f5e713bf098347a6422.jpg

Ben_Salah_Mosque.thumb.jpg.e6e2fa717ebc6c0c5f11b07e11b62fa1.jpg

Al-Attarine Madrasa: "The Al-Attarine Madrasa or Medersa al-Attarine[1] (Arabic: مدرسة العطارين‎, romanized: madrasat al-ʿattārīn, lit. 'school of the perfumers') is a madrasa in Fes, Morocco, near the Al-Qarawiyyin. It was built by the Marinid sultan Uthman II Abu Said (r. 1310-1331) in 1323-5. The madrasa takes its name from the Souk al-Attarine, the spice and perfume market. It is considered one of the highest achievements of Marinid architecture due to its rich and harmonious decoration and its efficient use of limited space."

Al-Attarine_Madrasa_(8753523807).jpg.1a9309fde02a1ef8dd83e64512fab1f4.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, m7600 said:

Storehouse WIP.

moroc_storehouse_wip.png

38 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Farmstead

moroc_farmstead.png

24 minutes ago, m7600 said:

corral

moroc_corral.png

Nice that it is in the same style for uniformity will vary it later eg. houses and farmsteads maybe? For corral goats and donkeys or horses could be used as farming animals or for milk or meat via technologies, maybe dried fruit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, asterix said:

For corral goats and donkeys or horses could be used as farming animals or for milk or meat via technologies, maybe dried fruit

For Fields Wheat or Barley, you could reuse Kushite field.

Maybe Agadir could be a unique building (Fortified dropsite, trains nomad units ?) ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agadir_(granary)

• Thanks 1

@asterix Thanks! Always appreciate your support. Getting a uniform style is the hardest part. Details and variations will be made later.

@Ultimate Aurelian Thanks, I was just reading today about the agadir. I'm still considering the idea of splitting this civ into several of them. Not entirely unlike how the Celts were split into Britons and Gauls in the main game. 

Just now, m7600 said:

@asterix Thanks! Always appreciate your support. Getting a uniform style is the hardest part. Details and variations will be made later.

@Ultimate Aurelian Thanks, I was just reading today about the agadir. I'm still considering the idea of splitting this civ into several of them. Not entirely unlike how the Celts were split into Britons and Gauls in the main game. 

You could feature Berbers as mercenaries trained from Agadir, maybe the building could give some techs as well (A bit like Seleucid colony).

• Like 1

Some interesting historical paintings of Morocco, specifically of Tangiers. the first and second ones are by Delacroix, the third one is from Navarro Llorens.1543980939_800px-Eugne_Delacroix_-_The_Fanatics_of_Tangier_-_WGA06195.jpg.572ef1942a35e616c7c9369068118640.jpg

1852650720_540px-Augustins_-_Le_Sultan_du_Maroc_-_Eugne_Delacroix.jpg.ca921388967992497012ce259c9d09b7.jpg

1849331620_800px-Jos_Navarro_Llorens_-_El_zoco.jpg.39ddd03dfa2e608112b2546aa7fa50ed.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 5:34 PM, m7600 said:

moroc_wonder_01.png

moroc_wonder_02.png

I i think you could make the columns white and more in the middle, it would be more accurate.

On the walls they surround the columns as well not just the tower (I am not sure if it is the best idea to include them since they were never completed):

Guards-at-Hassan-Tower.jpg

Hassan-Wall2.jpg

Hassan_Tower_with_street_light.JPG

• Thanks 1

@Ultimate Aurelian Thanks. I'm not sure if I will use the Hassan Tower for the wonder, though. It was built before the Marinid Sultanate. It could be the wonder for the Almohad faction, if I ever make them or someone else does.

For the Marinid wonder, I think that the Marinid Tombs might work. Or maybe the Mosara Garden. What do you think?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, m7600 said:

@Ultimate Aurelian Thanks. I'm not sure if I will use the Hassan Tower for the wonder, though. It was built before the Marinid Sultanate. It could be the wonder for the Almohad faction, if I ever make them or someone else does.

For the Marinid wonder, I think that the Marinid Tombs might work. Or maybe the Mosara Garden. What do you think?

My choice would be the tombs or maybe Chellah (The later was built in Almohad times but the Marinids rebuilt it).

I think the garden would be the hardest to do; since it was a huge structure with only a few scattered pieces left standing.

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

I think the garden would be the hardest to do; since it was a huge structure with only a few scattered pieces left standing.

I welcome that challenge. Garden it is, then.