Run Amok (Elephants, Chariots, et al.)

1 hour ago, Freagarach said:

I guess not, because the capture points will go the attacking player and if they have capture points they are capturable also by different means. So I guess you want something like morale? And an amok state when the morale is too low?

I was weary of asking for yet another stat for the units and hoped extending the loyalty system as @bb_ just suggested would be a nice compromise. OTOH a morale stat would be useful for mods, bit that could be something to add later if we just extend the loyalty system as suggested. I think the javelins could maybe cause 2 loyalty "damage" for every health damage caused or something to that affect.

I was thinking of trying to simulate a frenzy. So, as the javelins impact the elephant, not only do they drive down the health and loyalty of the animal, slowly piss it off too (make it angry). The animal's speed and attack go up in response, and when it reaches 0 loyalty it goes to Gaia and attacks any player within range (now in this frenzied state) until killed.

9 hours ago, bb_ said:

How hard would it be to generalise the capture mechanism to allow an attack to give the cp to any player? Sounds like a nice generalisation

Would be not that hard :) But my main problem was that such a unit would also be capturable by other means, like soldiers waving their weapons whilst standing next to it, which sounds pretty weird.

Also the generalisation does seem to support only this use case, which would someday be superseded by morale? If there are more, I can obviously be convinced ^^

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I was thinking of trying to simulate a frenzy. So, as the javelins impact the elephant, not only do they drive down the health and loyalty of the animal, slowly piss it off too (make it angry). The animal's speed and attack go up in response, and when it reaches 0 loyalty it goes to Gaia and attacks any player within range (now in this frenzied state) until killed.

This (the increased attack and speed) can be achieved by using a status effect. You can look at the test template at the bottom of one of the status effects diffs to get an idea of what is possible. If you have further questions, please ask!

29 minutes ago, Freagarach said:

Would be not that hard :) But my main problem was that such a unit would also be capturable by other means, like soldiers waving their weapons whilst standing next to it, which sounds pretty weird.

Also the generalisation does seem to support only this use case, which would someday be superseded by morale? If there are more, I can obviously be convinced ^^

This (the increased attack and speed) can be achieved by using a status effect. You can look at the test template at the bottom of one of the status effects diffs to get an idea of what is possible. If you have further questions, please ask!

what about convert to gaia?

• 9 months later...
On 09/06/2020 at 9:38 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Could a status effect, say from skirmisher javelins, reduce loyalty of a unit down to 0 and make them go Gaia? Applicable to elephants, chariots, and potentially other units.

I think that there could be something like fear/bad morale that is existing in a game "American conquest" an historical rts game based on conquest of america where you can choose between south/north native american tribes and four large conquering nations - it had trample damage for cav that could also be nice to implement in 0ad

EDIT; basically if an enemy army killed a lot of your units quickly and was overwhelmingly powerful, units would flee in fear and be uncontrollable until they ran to safety

Edited by Alar1k

1 hour ago, Alar1k said:

EDIT; basically if an enemy army killed a lot of your units quickly and was overwhelmingly powerful, units would flee in fear and be uncontrollable until they ran to safety

This has been suggested in the past. In that game, what qualified as "safety"? No enemy units in vision range? Did they run to the nearest unattacked town center? 

I'd rather we have Battalions first before we add morale and routing. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone