Adding Unit Distance Detector

Intellect

Hey all. Can anyone help me design a piece of code to allow units to detect the distance between themselves and an enemy unit and queue a specific animation. Check these units, they are animating through the wall, but I just want them to trigger at the contact point.

image.thumb.png.a5774ab55db9cc131351053e7c914832.png

3 hours ago, Intellect said:

Hey all. Can anyone help me design a piece of code to allow units to detect the distance between themselves and an enemy unit and queue a specific animation. Check these units, they are animating through the wall, but I just want them to trigger at the contact point.

image.thumb.png.a5774ab55db9cc131351053e7c914832.png

2 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Add minimum distance to attack, i guess.

Like @Lion.Kanzen said if you look at how AI and pathfinder operates it is on the same premise.

• Like 1

Calculating the distance between two units is fairly easy:

The distance between the centres of two units can be computed by querying the position components and ask for the exact positions of the units.

If you want to compute the distance between a unit (with obstruction, like you have with the walls) and a point or another unit, you should be able to use one of the following functions in the obstructionManager:

/**
     * Returns the distance from the obstruction to the point (px, pz), or -1 if the entity is out of the world.
     */
    virtual fixed DistanceToPoint(entity_id_t ent, entity_pos_t px, entity_pos_t pz) const = 0;

/**
     * Calculate the largest straight line distance between the entity and the point.
     */
    virtual fixed MaxDistanceToPoint(entity_id_t ent, entity_pos_t px, entity_pos_t pz) const = 0;

/**
     * Calculate the shortest distance between the entity and the target.
     */
    virtual fixed DistanceToTarget(entity_id_t ent, entity_id_t target) const = 0;

/**
     * Calculate the largest straight line distance between the entity and the target.
     */
    virtual fixed MaxDistanceToTarget(entity_id_t ent, entity_id_t target) const = 0;

You can query them from JS using Engine.QueryInterface(SYSTEM_ENTITY, IID_ObstructionManager).fooDistancefoo(foos)

Hope this helps

• Like 2

On 5/30/2020 at 3:22 AM, bb_ said:

Calculating the distance between two units is fairly easy:

The distance between the centres of two units can be computed by querying the position components and ask for the exact positions of the units.

If you want to compute the distance between a unit (with obstruction, like you have with the walls) and a point or another unit, you should be able to use one of the following functions in the obstructionManager:

/**
     * Returns the distance from the obstruction to the point (px, pz), or -1 if the entity is out of the world.
     */
    virtual fixed DistanceToPoint(entity_id_t ent, entity_pos_t px, entity_pos_t pz) const = 0;

/**
     * Calculate the largest straight line distance between the entity and the point.
     */
    virtual fixed MaxDistanceToPoint(entity_id_t ent, entity_pos_t px, entity_pos_t pz) const = 0;

/**
     * Calculate the shortest distance between the entity and the target.
     */
    virtual fixed DistanceToTarget(entity_id_t ent, entity_id_t target) const = 0;

/**
     * Calculate the largest straight line distance between the entity and the target.
     */
    virtual fixed MaxDistanceToTarget(entity_id_t ent, entity_id_t target) const = 0;

You can query them from JS using Engine.QueryInterface(SYSTEM_ENTITY, IID_ObstructionManager).fooDistancefoo(foos)

Hope this helps

Thanks! Im still a bit confused as far as the specifics go. Could I pm you for more elaboration? Thanks!