Just a quick portrait I did to see how it would look like for one of the units. Made with MakeHuman, Blender, Krita and Gimp.
Basically I just used the African settings for the model provided by MakeHuman. Then I exported it so I could open it with Blender to add some lighting. Then I exported it as an image and tried to give it a "painterly" look with Krita, and finally I tweaked the image a little bit with Gimp.

mali_unit_portrait_test.png

• Like 1

I thonk it looks pretty great. I think you could try to mix wow's technique for the background and tw for light by making the right light a bit bluish

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! It also needs details. I just realized that if the text was not there, it would be impossible to know that this is a spearman. I think I'll make it again, trying to add a spear and more detailed clothes, maybe a necklace as well. Or a turban. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stan` said:

Well some peiple suggested mini icons in the bottom of portraits to depict that

Would that require some changes to the engine, or can it be done with a mod using only JavaScript? I would imagine that ideally, these sorts of things would not be hardcoded in C++

I thought the same thing about the easy way, but wouldn't it be a problem for when the game converts the portrait to the really small version that you see when you train the unit, like in the CC or the barracks? The weapon mini-icon could get transformed into noisy pixels : P

The harder way sounds like a better solution. I'll have to try them and see the results.