Magic the Gathering Inspired mod

Intellect

Would an MTG inspired mod be feasible with MTG being a trademarked brand? For those of you who are familiar with the MTG universe, there are five factions (black-grixis, blue-esper, white-bant, red-jund, and green-naya) that can exist exclusively or in concert with other units. I was thinking if we could look into a 10 faction system comprised of 2-color combos like the Ravnica sub-universe of MTG (obviously with different names), could it be feasible? If so, this could be super exciting for a few reasons:

1. Unit creation would actually be really interesting and modular:

If you guys are familiar with magic, you know that there are a few things involved

a. Power (essentially attack) and toughness (essentially "health"), which are the numbers that you see on this card below (power: 1 | toughness: 1) :

Awesome 1-Mana Creatures, part 1: White | Crooked Glasses

Now, if we were to include these types of cards in the game, the base attack would be 2, and the base "health" value would be one. In essence, this creature would do 2 damage per second and have one health. Now, I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE THINKING: "2 damage and 1 health? This unit, if pitted against itself in battle, would neutralize itself! Also, it would technically 'overkill' as it only has 1 health and would take 2 damage" EXACTLY, this is how magic works, HOWEVER, I understand this could be a concern for RTS players, so here is my proposition: the toughness ("health") value could be scaled by a a factor. Lets say the scaling value was 10; thus, it would take 5 seconds for two soldiers of this type to neutralize themselves.

The cost of this soldier would be 1 WHITE mana, which would be collected by villagers from "mana-fountains" spread across the map". 

Now,  let's look at a card that's a bit more involved:

image.jpeg.055cc63b42012a42283bc9afb37373e1.jpeg

This creature has flying, so, in essence, land units would not be able to attack this, unless they also had flying. 

There are SO MANY abilities in MTG that we can draw inspiration from, it's insane! I believe that if the development of this mod was approved, this could be something that gets worked on consistently by modders and receives continuing updates.

2. Unit tactics and abilities would be a new and interesting components that could open up endless amounts of civilization customization

So MTG is a card based game, right? I was thinking that the way this would work is that the "villager" units would farm for different color mana spots that correspond to the main color theme (black, blue, white, red, and green) and the roster for the fighting units would be a selection of cards that the player chooses during match selection, so essentially, they have a "deck" or cards that constitute the units of their army. As the villagers farm for mana, they can construct buildings to produce units. Again, you have to have a bit of MTG know how, but here are some mechanics that the game uses:

image.png.e953f1e87a74dccd004648a1efa7c6ed.png

Anyway, that's just a sketch, implementation would be really interesting. I have a TON of ideas that could be included, but first need some insight for the community

3. Unit creation would be limitless

So the way MTG is designed is that it opens up endless possibilities for players to use cards, because the "card' is essentially a blank slate. This concept should be applied to the game because then units themselves wouldn't be tied to a particular civilization or player, but selected among the roster of cards (units, spells, artifacts, etc.) that are currently in the game. The player wouldn't be tied to a civilization, as the type of mana that their villagers farm in game would determine what units they can summon and what spells they can cast.

@Stan` and @Itms, please get back to me with what you think. I think this could be a really great mod for the game! Thanks for reading!

Edited by Intellect
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

A mod is possible, it just can't be officially sanctioned by Wildfire Games and you assume all responsibility for any possible cease and desist orders. 

Ah, so I guess this wouldn't get much support from the community then? :bawling:

3 minutes ago, Intellect said:

Ah, so I guess this wouldn't get much support from the community then? 

The community is really small :) There are like about 12 active modders :)  I am working on that, but it seems nobody found this island yet.