[request]: longer palisades

Nescio

Most city walls (plus siege walls) have short, medium, long lengths of 12, 24, 36. (ptol are slightly longer, sele slightly shorter, it seems.)

Palisades and cart low walls are much shorter: 4.5, 9, 13.5 respectively. In my opinion they are too short and too much hassle to actually build. They should certainly be shorter than city walls, but I would highly appreciate it if palisade (and low wall) lengths could be increased by a third, thus to 6, 12, 18, i.e. half as long as their city wall equivalents.

Not sure whom to ask. @Stan`?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Honestly I would prefer them to be the same lengths as the stone walls so we (either EA or mods) can research a tech and improve them to stone.

The problem is that wall towers all have different footprints...

• Like 1

Seems good for me, but what size is the numbers we are talking about?

3 hours ago, Nescio said:

12, 24, 36

I understand is like some sort of in game grid?

And where can I find these files to modify them? I'm soooooo clumsy with the forum and the repositories xd

Thanks, this is looking promising!

Don't forget the cart low walls ought to lengthened as well, they ought to have the same length as palisades. Furthermore, there are several more palisades:

• palisade*straight should have the same length as the palisade*long, but rotated by 90° (don't ask me why it exists);
  • palisade*curve has the same length and orientation as palisade*straight, but it's curved, not straight;
  • palisade*gate is supposed to have the same length as palisade*long, because you can upgrade the latter to the former; widening the doors is not a good idea, so you'll have to put something on either side.
9 hours ago, Pablinski2 said:

I understand is like some sort of in game grid?

Those are the units used in the simulation templates; I don't know how they correspond to Blender units.

I'm not sure lengthening palisades (currently 4.5, 9, 13.5) to the same length as city walls (12, 24, 36) is a good idea. I'd prefer half that (6, 12, 18). Or maybe have six palisade lengths (6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36), allowing mods to choose which ones they want to use. (It's possible to copy and paste in Blender, isn't it?)

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Do you want to try to put them in the game ? :)

Yes, let's have a look at how they would look in game!

• Like 2

Good day!

I will surely do whatever is needed, but in order to have more independency and leave the veterans more time for the real work I would need some teaching on how the repositories works and how the measurements work, bc if it wasn't for the blend file @Stan` gave me with the goal sizes I wouldn't have had any idea of what to do xd. I don't know if what I'm asking for is correct or if I should rely on someone breaking down the process for me.

Have a niceeee day! :D

@Pablinski2 if you only want to contribute art, you can be mostly fine with the release version of the game. If you want to see the latest things though you need to clone on of three repositories. The easiest one is the SVN one. (It provides automated builds for Windows) If you are on Linux or Mac though you will need to compile the game yourself.

You need to install TortoiseSVN.

After installing it you will need to clone the public repository. See Getting the Code.

After that you might want to use the Blender extension I wrote you can download the latest version here. This will allow you to import actors which are XML files that tells the game how to texture and equip a model. Those files will be in

binaries/data/mods/public/art/actors

You might also want to create mods. In the example above public is a mod. It's the main mod of the Pyrogenesis engine.  To create a mod, you can either put it into

binaries/data/mods/

Or in your documents folder. See Game Data Paths

All mods are defined using a mod.json file such as this one

{
	"name": "technical name, usually the folder name, avoid caps and spaces. my_mod",
	"version": "Mod Version usually (Major.Minor.Patch) e.g. (1.0.0)",
	"label": "Pretty name for the mod ",
	"url": "Mod url",
	"description": "Mod Description",
	"dependencies": []
}

It's a lot to process at the beginning so don't hesitate to ask questions :)

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I don't have any idea of coding, and I would be of no help with that. I would surely mess everything up :(

What I'm most interested in is in how to find the files for this

7 hours ago, Nescio said:

Don't forget the cart low walls ought to lengthened as well, they ought to have the same length as palisades. Furthermore, there are several more palisades:

• palisade*straight should have the same length as the palisade*long, but rotated by 90° (don't ask me why it exists);
  • palisade*curve has the same length and orientation as palisade*straight, but it's curved, not straight;
  • palisade*gate is supposed to have the same length as palisade*long, because you can upgrade the latter to the former; widening the doors is not a good idea, so you'll have to put something on either side.

And how do I know which is going to be the new size, because this unit I don't know what is the equivalent in Blender, so I can't do the work.

7 hours ago, Nescio said:

I'm not sure lengthening palisades (currently 4.5, 9, 13.5) to the same length as city walls (12, 24, 36) is a good idea. I'd prefer half that (6, 12, 18). Or maybe have six palisade lengths (6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36), allowing mods to choose which ones they want to use. (It's possible to copy and paste in Blender, isn't it?)

If it wasn't for the rectangles @Stan` left in the blend file for me, I wouldn't know what I had to do :(

1 minute ago, Pablinski2 said:

I'm sorry but I don't have any idea of coding, and I would be of no help with that. I would surely mess everything up

And it's totally okay, It's my job to make sure things work :D You'll have to fiddle a bit with things, but you'll be fine, and you can ask me any questions :)

2 minutes ago, Pablinski2 said:

And how do I know which is going to be the new size, because this unit I don't know what is the equivalent in Blender, so I can't do the work.

See https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ArtScaleAndProportions

3 minutes ago, Pablinski2 said:

If it wasn't for the rectangles @Stan` left in the blend file for me, I wouldn't know what I had to do

I can guide you as much as you need, and teach you so don't need me so much. It will always seem overwhelming at first, but you are here to learn, aren't you? :)

What OS are you on?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I can guide you as much as you need, and teach you so don't need me so much.

That's my objective so you don't waste your time telling me what to do :D

3 minutes ago, Stan` said:

It will always seem overwhelming at first, but you are here to learn, aren't you?

I'm willing to learn and help you! I'll do whats on my hands!

4 minutes ago, Stan` said:

What OS are you on?

Currently working on Windows 10 Home