Discussion: Romans (Republican, Triumvirate, Principate, Dominate)

22 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Republicans should keep Scipio like in vanilla, possibly add some from the first punic war if you want (Marcus Atilius Regulus as a navy focused hero ?)

I saw on a old thread that you planed on triumvirate  romans to have three heroes at time, does that still hold up ?

Republican buildings will need to be reworked, some of them are quite imperial/triumvriate looking (See CC).

Triumvirate could have Evocati Champion, i  like the way they are portrayed in EB2 (Avoding the overly standardized look, often seen i depictions of legionnaires)

4HoCoyC.jpg

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Split from this discussion:

We could potentially have a 5th, Kingdom or Monarchy set before the Republic, but I think 4 Roman civs is enough. ;) 

Etruscans  (With possibly Tarquin as a hero) might be a better choice for a future civ, Monarchy romans would be pretty much Etruscans with some semi-legendary kings.

What is the timeline for republican civ ?

Does the war with Pyrrhus or Brennus sack of rome falll whitin it ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Etruscans  (With possibly Tarquin as a hero) might be a better choice for a future civ, Monarchy romans would be pretty much Etruscans with some semi-legendary kings.

Agreed. A new Etruscan civ would be nice!

10 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

What is the timeline for republican civ ?

Punic Wars for the Republican civ. "Mid-Republic"
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Roman_army#/Roman_army_of_the_mid-Republic_(c._300–88_BC)

12 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Does the war with Pyrrhus or Brennus sack of rome falll whitin it ?

Pyrrhus broadly. Sack of Rome, not really. 

Dominate might end up having a lot of heroes (A long time period with two empires)

By default you  could get Constantine, Diocletian and Theodosius in phase III.

To reach Phase III (or IV ?)  you choose between western and eastern empire and unlock a hero from the later end of the period; west unlocks Aetius and east has Justinian (Or maybe Anastasius if Justinian is too late in the timeline).

• Like 1

Personnaly I would prefer to portray evolving factions than splitting in several periods the civs.

I would prefer a Roman republic evolving from the second Latin War to Antony's Civil War, with reforms and technologies available. 

About the Roman Empire, it could be indeed interesting to split it in two because each period has very interesting development in their own, culturally, religiously and militarly speaking.

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Genava55 said:

I would prefer a Roman republic evolving from the second Latin War to Antony's Civil War, with reforms and technologies available. 

That's a pretty Age of Empires thing to do, but 0 A.D. just isn't built to be like that.

1 hour ago, Genava55 said:

About the Roman Empire, it could be indeed interesting to split it in two because each period has very interesting development in their own, culturally, religiously and militarly speaking.

The architecture from Constantinople alone (even at an early date) would be awesome to see in a civ. 

2 hours ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

To reach Phase III (or IV ?)  you choose between western and eastern empire and unlock a hero from the later end of the period; west unlocks Aetius and east has Justinian (Or maybe Anastasius if Justinian is too late in the timeline).

Perhaps 2 separate wonders, which can be built one or the other, which would unlock the East or the West and the heroes as you suggest.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

That's a pretty Age of Empires thing to do, but 0 A.D. just isn't built to be like that.

The architecture from Constantinople alone (even at an early date) would be awesome to see in a civ. 

Perhaps 2 separate wonders, which can be built one or the other, which would unlock the East or the West and the heroes as you suggest.

West Roman wonder could be the Old St Peter's Basilica;  East Roman wonder is the imperial palace of Constantinople  (Hagia Sophia is a bit late, and already used in Millenium a.d)

1 hour ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

West Roman wonder could be the Old St Peter's Basilica;  East Roman wonder is the imperial palace of Constantinople  (Hagia Sophia is a bit late, and already used in Millenium a.d)

These are excellent suggestions. I never considered Old St. Peter's Basilica! That would actually be very good.

4.jpg

As for the East, the Palace could work, or the Forum of Constantine

11forum-c5.jpg

EGJS37m.jpg

Or the Hippodrome. 

f285a884c132221b7abbb5958de2452d.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

What about third Century crisis?

That's a good question, i was wondering the other day how Aurelian could be featured as a hero (Possibly as Dominate hero, since he paved the way for it).

Third century crisis fits between Dominate and Principate.

A way to portray that time period without being too similar to the other two, is through a Palmyra civ.

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

A way to portray that time period without being too similar to the other two, is through a Palmyra civ.

Right. Plus we can make "custom" civs for campaigns and scenarios. These are civs that are playable only on specified maps and don't show up in the drop list of selectable civs for random maps and skirmish maps. 

Palmyrenes is definitely on my list for inclusion as a complete selectable civ though.

3 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Right. Plus we can make "custom" civs for campaigns and scenarios. These are civs that are playable only on specified maps and don't show up in the drop list of selectable civs for random maps and skirmish maps. 

Palmyrenes is definitely on my list for inclusion as a complete selectable civ though.

Monarchy Romans would work best as a ''custom civ'',  being slightly modified Etruscans.