Product Manager application - Agni

Agni

Position: Product Management

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free? Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license? Yes

Are you sure you are not wanting to work on something programming related? (Then you don't need to send in an application form.) Yes

Name: Agni.

Email: imforlyf (at) gmail (dot) com

Availability: 10hrs

Skills and Experience: I've been working as a PM for quite some time. I think UX of a game is very important and I would like to improve the UX of 0 A.D

Motivation: I have always been more of an coordinator and get things done. I was lucky enough to get a job that utilizes it. Now, I want to contribute to some open source world.

Personality: I'm Strong headed but accept my mistakes if proven :) .

Short Essay: Couple of days back, I came across Wildfire. I didnt think much initially but then once I saw the game, I understood the depth you have worked on. A cross-platform open source Strategy game? That's something. I was always a fan of Age Of Empires. Later on I liked their Rise of Nations, Age of Mythology. But these games dont work on Mac. I'm an Apple user. Seeing 0 A.D, I realized I can help people like me to who wants real strategy game played on their Mac.

Interests and Hobbies: I watch TV shows.. Like a lot and play Chess. When I save some money, I tend to take some trips. I like traveling a lot.

Staff:None

Community:I frequent Medium for self education. Nothing else.

Favorite Game: Currently it is Dota2. All time favorite: Rise of Nations. I know both are two different genres.

Work Examples: Since I'm not sure you are in need of PM, I cannot give a good example for this.

• Like 1

Welcome,

thank you for your motivation and interest in this position, we hope that you will engage in our community in some fruitful discussions considering design. Also I would like to point out that you should contact project leader @Itms and other members. There are already design documents and discussions such as https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Design_Documenthttps://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/0AD_The_Visionhttps://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameplayFeatureStatushttps://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GamePerformance and posts here on forums https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/forum/455-gameplay-discussion/. In addition, we will be happy if you could test and help with MacOS related issues considering that future maintenance of MacOS port does not look very rosy (such as https://trac.wildfiregames.com/search?q=macos). 

Hello @Agni

Welcome to the forums. Thanks for the application.

I must admit, I'm not actually sure what your role could be as Product Manager. I'm sure we can find a way for you to contribute though. Could you tell me what is it you'd like to do as part of the project?

Best regards

Stan.

Hi @Agni

Can you talk more about the management work you've done? Your style, methodologies, experiences(good or bad), any PM software you may use.

It would be nice if you could show examples or describe examples of your work. F.e. the types of products you've managed, your results, how your experience can be applied to a software project, etc..

Do you have technical training or education in PM? Do you have a resume?

[edit]

Since we basically are working on one main product: 0 A.D., it makes sense to figure that PM (as in Product Management) could be considered essentially/effectively synonymous(at least in many ways) with PM (as in Project Management); at least for our purposes.

The project is the product and vice-versa.

There are resources with examples of how Product Manager differs from Project Manager (especially when an organisation has both). There would be overlapping skills and responsibilities shared by those two people in both positions(I suspect they're not very different), and the guy in one position would be well-positioned to adapt his knowledge to the other position. Those articles directly refer to the overlap between the two.

@Agni What are your thoughts on the differences between Product Manager and Project Manager?

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Stan` said:

Hello @Agni

Welcome to the forums. Thanks for the application.

I must admit, I'm not actually sure what your role could be as Product Manager. I'm sure we can find a way for you to contribute though. Could you tell me what is it you'd like to do as part of the project?

Best regards

Stan.

Hello @Stan`

I was hoping I could help in enhancing the gameplay and improve the features within the game.

Hello @asterix

Thanks for the mention. I'll look at them.

Hello @user1

I've dm'ed the answers (I hope) for some the questions you had asked there.

For the remaining,

Product Management and Project Management varies a lot. My company has more of Product Managers.

One of the key difference between Product and Project management is the work they do. Project Managers mostly oversee the developers and see to it that the feature has been shipped on time. They don't work on solutions. Product Managers mainly work on solutions to a problem and work closely with development team to ship the features. We don't oversee any developers directly.

Sorry I had to edit the posts couple of times, since I got an error that I reached the maximum limit to make any new posts.

Edited by Agni

3 minutes ago, Agni said:

I was hoping I could help in enhancing the gameplay and improve the features within the game.

Would you mind elaborating more on how you'd plan to do that? :)

EDIT: Do you wish to discuss this in a more interactive manner? If so you could join the IRC channel :)