Axe throwing

fatherbushido

Most battle axes average 5 to 10 Kg just swinging them is a chore throwing not very feasible there where throwing axes who's massed about 1 Kg but use on a battlefield has never been documented after all how many can one solider carry you are literally throwing your weapons away.

Enjoy the Choice :)   

1 hour ago, fatherbushido said:

I don't know if it was used (massively) in the antiquity as a projectile.

Not in our timeframe, at least not that I know of. (@Genava55?) However, in the Migration Period and Early Middle Ages, usage of the francisca was quite widespread by various Germanic peoples (Franks, Saxons, etc.). Maybe something for Millennium AD? (@Stan`?)

18 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

Most battle axes average 5 to 10 Kg

Source, please? That sounds quite heavy.

19 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

how many can one solider carry you are literally throwing your weapons away.

Just one is enough, thrown just before charging or engaging the enemy with swords. The principle is fundamentally the same as the Roman pilum: a short-range weapon that renders the enemy's shield useless (and is intimidating as well).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

Most battle axes average 5 to 10 Kg just swinging them is a chore throwing not very feasible there where throwing axes who's massed about 1 Kg but use on a battlefield has never been documented after all how many can one solider carry you are literally throwing your weapons away.

Enjoy the Choice :)   

In that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisca

we can see what can appear like an historical source.

25 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

Most battle axes average 5 to 10 Kg

I assure you it is far too heavy for anything. Even to cut wood. Even a medieval two-handed war hammer doesn't reach 5 kilograms.

4 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Not in our timeframe, at least not that I know of.

Nope. Axes are rarely used on the battlefield since the beginning of the iron age.

Maybe the Germans could have thrown wooden staffs and axes but there are no conclusive evidence before the Franks and their francisca. However, the francisca is used like the Roman pilum. Dedicated units throwing axes continuously never existed.