Application for Technical Writer / Any writing work

Position:  Documentation writer / Scenario Designer

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free? Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license? Yes

Name: Quintin Potgieter

Email: q.potgieter0916 at gmail dot com

Availability: I am a homeschooling student and will be able to dedicate 10+ hours a week to the project

Skills and Experience:  Awarded best writer in my previous school, I am highly skilled in story writing, poetry and technical writing.

Motivation:

1.) To gain as much experience as I possibly can

2.) I have only recently started playing 0 A.D. and I'm honestly astounded by the quality of the project. I have been playing RTS games such as AoE since I was 10, and I would be honored to be a part of this groundbreaking game. I want to help in any way I can, wherever my skills are needed. If anything else I am more than willing to learn any skills needed to aid where needed. 

3.) Writing is somewhat of a passion of mine, but have always felt that my stories and concepts have never gained any traction for the singular reason that I had no platform to express my ideas. I feel that if I was to stand behind this community and have something to write for, that I could achieve my highest potential. Needless to say, I would be more than happy to give my all to this project if you'd have me!

Personality: My peers often tease that I am far to mature for my age, yet I also regard myself as an adventurous soul, extremely sociable and always optimistic!

Short Essay: First off, never ever ever ask me to write a "short" anything. I joke of course, yet there is some truth in that. I feel I often go above and beyond what is expected, where others may be satisfied with "just enough" I find that it's much more personally rewarding to know that i have gone the extra mile. Like I've stated previously, I love to write, I love to learn and I love RTS. The fact that you, the developing community have decided to make this available to the public for free is mind-boggling to me for I and people like me rarely have sufficient funds to support our gaming hobby. I am thankful, even if my application is not accepted, I would simply love to say thank you for considering people like myself! 

Interests and Hobbies: Writing, Programming, Cinematography and Film-directing, History and of course gaming. 

Favorite Game: Warhammer 40k Dawn of war

Work Examples: I have no officially published work however I will include a Pdf. of one of my school projects aswell as a link to my Poetry blog if that would help in any way ( however I doubt it will)

https://theblacksheetforme.wordpress.com/

Synopsis on Cyber-Harassment.pdf

Anything I can do to help!

Please be aware that I am mainly skilled at writing, so I would be best put to use writing campaigns but i will also do my best to physically design scenarios. It will take me a few days to become acquainted with the tools in order to create adequate scenarios and campaigns, however I'm sure I can do what is expected of me.

Edited by QuinXnX

1 minute ago, QuinXnX said:

Anything I can do to help!

Please be aware that I am mainly skilled at writing, so I would be best put to use writing campaigns but i will also do my best to physically design scenarios. It will take me a few days to become acquainted with the tools in order to create adequate scenarios and campaigns, however I'm sure I can do what is expected of me.

we need planning a list of Scenarios for the campaings and a brief of the campaing a guess.

So from what I understand, the campaigns of the game are still in the planning phase? Don't get me wrong, I am astounded to hear that! It means that I have relative freedom with the direction of a campaign. I would just like to ask for some clarity on your reply. Would you request of me to design the scenarios in the Atlas or scenario editor tool or simply to work with people who have experience with that and provide support; idea's and writing of the scenarios?

Just to be clear, I am already on board with either, I just want to know exactly what is expected of me? What my role would be?

Please notify me as soon as is convenient as I have no idea what to expect, I am still unclear on whether or not my application has been accepted and whether or not I should be getting to work on...whatever it is that I am supposed to do LOL:)

Thank you

~Q

Edited by QuinXnX

@Stan`

Is better ask to a insider.

Planning does not go beyond mechanics, monse if they have a list of campaigns and scenarios prepared.

They haven't revealed many details, it's just in the process of development.

As people here are free to suggest, I have my list.

@feneur we need unlock  the limit of posting of this guy.

Hello and welcome to the forums @QuinXnX,

Thank you for your interest in participating in this big project. There are a lot of things that needs to be done in a wide area of subjects. With regards to documentation, most if not all our documentation is located on Trac.

The current task there is just to maintain and update documentation where possible. There is also a bit of bug triaging (making sure they are still relevant with the latest version etc)

2 hours ago, QuinXnX said:

So from what I understand, the campaigns of the game are still in the planning phase?

Yes they are still in the planning phase. There is currently no existing planning for the campaigns. Scenarios are already possible (and one can add special events using JavaScript scripts called triggers) but there is currently no interface ready for such campaigns (they would have to be played one by one in the default game menu)

There is a patch by @wraitii that needs to be improved and finished. You can find more details about it here https://code.wildfiregames.com/D11

With regards to your application, you need first to create some interesting contribution for the game before getting an official title. You can however use the development version with no restriction :) for creating those scenarios

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Stan`

Heyo!

My apologies for only replying to your post now, I believe that i'm still limited to the amount of daily posts I'm allowed at this stage hehe.

20 hours ago, Stan` said:

Hello and welcome to the forums @QuinXnX,

Thank you for your interest in participating in this big project. There are a lot of things that needs to be done in a wide area of subjects. With regards to documentation, most if not all our documentation is located on Trac.

The current task there is just to maintain and update documentation where possible. There is also a bit of bug triaging (making sure they are still relevant with the latest version etc)

Yes they are still in the planning phase. There is currently no existing planning for the campaigns. Scenarios are already possible (and one can add special events using JavaScript scripts called triggers) but there is currently no interface ready for such campaigns (they would have to be played one by one in the default game menu)

There is a patch by @wraitii that needs to be improved and finished. You can find more details about it here https://code.wildfiregames.com/D11

With regards to your application, you need first to create some interesting contribution for the game before getting an official title. You can however use the development version with no restriction :) for creating those scenarios

I have been taking a look at various of the tasks you have stated above and as of yesterday I have already been familiarizing myself with the scenario creation tools. There are a few things I still have questions about some of the other tasks mentioned though. If at all possible, may I ask if you'd be able to join me in a discord server to get me started? I just feel that I do not have the capabilities to have a full conversation with any members at this point. 

If you'd be willing to please let me know ;)

~Q

(Here's the link to the discord server: https://discord.gg/Fu9zNM )

Edited by QuinXnX