Art References: Suebian German Units (Shields, Weapons, Clothing)

wowgetoffyourcellphone

1 hour ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

BTW the Cimbri are described with shining iron breastplates (Maybe just the way the author described mail, some r2tw mods have then with Iberian esque plates but might be innacurate).

"θώραξι δὲ κεκοσμημένοι σιδηροῖς", thoraxi is any kind of body armor. In this case I would think of a Celtic chain mail with decorated stuff.

Anyway everything looks Celtic in their description, especially the two types of spear, a very Celtic like feature. Maybe there is the same within the Przeworsk culture, I dont know. Need to check.

2 hours ago, Genava55 said:

"θώραξι δὲ κεκοσμημένοι σιδηροῖς", thoraxi is any kind of body armor. In this case I would think of a Celtic chain mail with decorated stuff.

Anyway everything looks Celtic in their description, especially the two types of spear, a very Celtic like feature. Maybe there is the same within the Przeworsk culture, I dont know. Need to check.

This is centuries after that description but there are some phalerae from Thorsberg, don't look like Roman ones.

6c65d811ee02c6f8c6f7860fa7f2fa38.jpg

Possible face paint in ancient Scandinavians (From EB) ?

DtRoa3eX4AACikP.jpg

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian

13 hours ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

This is centuries after that description but there are some phalerae from Thorsberg, don't look like Roman ones.

It is not impossible that something similar existed among Celts, decorated metallic plaques have been found. Although their real use is still unknown, the hypothesis of decorated items for body armors has been proposed. So it is plausible that northern Germanic population could have used them. The whole history of the Cimbri migration is a complex topic.

By the way thank you to propose and to research stuff for the Suebians. I appreciate, I am currently busy and I don't have the time to do it.

• Like 1

There is also some bronze age discs who were worn on clothing.

5 hours ago, Genava55 said:

The whole history of the Cimbri migration is a complex topic.

Indeed, looking at how early germanics migrated from the north; you'd assume the northern region would be the one with the least celtic influence.

Tacitus described Suebian women wearing purple;  possibly allegorical ?

Possibly a more reddish shade (Like in the current civ emblem); my understanding is that there were purple dyes other than Tyrian but they lasted less and their shade was not as popular.

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Indeed, looking at how early germanics migrated from the north; you'd assume the northern region would be the one with the least celtic influence.

Actually, the area with the most Celtic influence are in Jutland and in Poland. Elbgermanen (Germans from the Elbe region) were the least influenced by the Celts during the Vorrömische Eisenzeit (pre-Roman Iron Age).

• 4 weeks later...