Disable Animations

I knew about this game for years but never played it. I finally got my hands on it and it's such a fresh take on the AOE genre, for the little time I have spent with it, I love it.

Only problem, and it's a big one, and a technical one: performance is downright horrible. Right from the start, my framerate is at a mere 40fps. Past around 40 minutes of play with armies of 100+ soldiers building up, the game becomes a slug hell. If I look at an empty area, the framerate goes up 20+fps, but If someone attacks me and I need to look at the action to move my troops, I have 2-3 fps, the interface is unresponsive, and I lose because I can't control my units properly.

I think I have a solution. When searching about this subject, I found a post by someone from intel that looked at the game to give a practice run of the intel optmizer tool. He pointed out that a major bottleneck in the game was caused by a function called BlendBoneMatrices. I don't know how major is this bottleneck, but I know for sure that it has something to do with what is happening on screen because framerate goes up quite a bit if I look at an empty area.

tldr: If animations are indeed such a major bottleneck, would you please add a setting to disable animations entirely. It could be in an advanced performance options submenu, anywhere really. Just put it somewhere :D 

Edited by aganierm
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...