balancing idea for 4v4 tournament

I think it would be pretty cool to have a 4v4 tournament considering how popular 4v4 matches are in 0ad. But how to balance? i.e how to prevent borg, Felfeld, Rauls and Valihrant from forming a team? What i thought is one might divide players into buckets, and then teams can have at most 1 player from the top bucket, at most 2 from the top 2 buckets, at most 3 from the top 3 buckets and so on.. For example, we could have:

bucket 1: borg, Felfeld, Rauls, Valihrant, chrstgtr, baduso, faction, Stockfish, ... etc

bucket 2: Boudica, Ricsand, Edwarf, kizitom, Unknown Player, Carthage, ffm, Pudim, 90, ... etc..

bucket 3: bbleft, Dizaka, Palaiologos, Azhara, Issh, Wollolow, xtreme, etc...

bucket 4: anyone not listed in the above buckets

Now, I have neither the time nor the inclination to run such a tournament, but I would probably participate if someone wanted to run with the idea.. I think it would be pretty cool

Edited by 9025201729

Of course it is heuristic. Players are rock paper scissors against each other anyway depending on playstyles, but you have got to draw up some heuristic buckets for balance, which need not be perfect. If you think about it, that is how you balance in your everyday game - you heuristically assign strength to each player... the organizers make the buckets.

Edited by 9025201729

I'd be in, of course choosing buckets is not that easy but the idea might work though the more complicated it gets the less feasible it becomes.

I'd like to see a tg with no restrictions (well, maybe feld and vali not same team XD), make a team to kill spanish team once and for all.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it could be possible to host a tournament, maybe in a league format that gives the option to form 4 player teams but also allows more small teams to compete. Also the timing issue could be solved that way. In case some team members cant find time to participate only the other members of the team can play against each other, or play multiple matches.  The only challenge here would be that if the strongest player of t2 gets to play many 1v1 that would lead to unfair outcomes as he plays the average of the other team. Although there could be the option that the other team would also be allowed to choose a player of their wishes to compete. Also their could be rules that force all team members to distribute games equally.. plenty of solutions possible... and of course it can get kinda complicated. I can work something out though in case there is intrest. Also it could encourage a more versatile choice of civs.

Edited by MarcusAureliu#s