unit actor mistakes

Nescio

0 A.D. is a great game, but very much a work-in-progress, hence full of mistakes. Here are a few things I noticed for a start. Undoubtedly there are more, I certainly did not go through all actors.

• The catafalque's horse's manes and tail hair move independently:

Spoiler

catafalque.thumb.png.4134065a59576610a3d617f862262cb2.png

• Themistocles' helmet seems to be transparent:
    Spoiler

athen_hero_themistocles.png.36d6d26fada4bd13851d260373ed20f0.png

• Iphicrates' and Xenophon's shield go through their shoulder:
    Spoiler

athen_hero_xenophon.thumb.png.2b6f5ca0c89ffffd814ccc37911bdb70.pngathen_hero_iphicrates.thumb.png.46c3555a16c4a1fe5c8a7244f150eed0.png

• Philip the Pikeman is beheaded by his own shield when attacking:
    Spoiler

mace_hero_philip_pike.thumb.png.32182c5c31b30ab0beb7dc4e909b6f5d.png

• The Kushite's pikeman's shield position is non-sensical when attacking:
    Spoiler

kush_infantry_pikeman_b.thumb.png.ad8bd5eba53d0aa859fc33cd37168b69.png

Hopefully someone from the art team (@Alexandermb, @LordGood, @Stan`, @wackyserious) can have a look. For most people these things probably don't matter, but dotting the i's and crossing the t's is appreciated by some, myself included.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Nescio been trying to reply but here because of quarentine all services are getting worst but isn't nothing new for another day in Venezuela.

Today i was able to fix the catafalque's issue aswell as the trader and packed siege engines.

Will do the replacements of the infantry later or soon enough.

The most controversial is the athen javelin hero because of the animation being the clipping reason, i belive it would be better replace the shield with a peltast shield isnt it? what do you think?

Finally i will continue slowly since i don't have a stable internet connection and been working with the bear recently commited by @Stan` recently and will continue with partridge if i found the solution to a bug happening only with gpuskinning enabled.

I won't be able to reply sometimes but i will be able to read.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2020 at 10:29 PM, Alexandermb said:

@Nescio been trying to reply but here because of quarentine all services are getting worst but isn't nothing new for another day in Venezuela.

[...]

I won't be able to reply sometimes but i will be able to read.

No need to apologize, and there is no rush. :)

Today i was able to fix the catafalque's issue aswell as the trader and packed siege engines.

Great!

partridge

Lovely!

The most controversial is the athen javelin hero because of the animation being the clipping reason, i belive it would be better replace the shield with a peltast shield isnt it? what do you think?

You mean Iphicrates and Xenophon? Iphicrates should indeed have a péltê, however, Xenophon should be a spearman (the Ten Thousand he led was a mercenary hoplite force), not a javelinist.

Something else: the infantry swordsman attack animations (hacking, slashing, and stabbing) look great for those armed with true swords (brit, cart, gaul, kush, ptol, rome), but the stabbing looks quite silly for those armed with other weapons (e.g. kush_infantry_clubman, kush_champion_infantry_amun, kush_champion_infantry_apedemak, maur_champion_infantry), so would it be possible to have a “hack only, no stabbing” attack animation for those armed with axes, maces, sabres, etc. instead of true swords?

• Like 2

There are also some issues with traders, maybe you could have a look at them later:

• The donkey trader footprint is centred on the human, which means the animal is largely outside the selection marker. It should be centred on the donkey + human compound.
  • Donkeys were only introduced in Gaul and the British Islands in Roman times, therefore brit and gaul shouldn't have a donkey trader; they should get a horse-and-cart (like mace) or an ox cart (like maur).
  • By contrast, donkeys and mules were already present in Archaic Greece (Homer) and the major historians (Herodotes, Thucydides, Xenophon) mention them as pack animals. Moreover, horses were scarce in Southern Greece, due to lack of meadows and the mountaineous terrain, donkeys were far more suitable. Therefore athen and sparta ought to have a donkey trader instead; mace, rome, and sele can keep the horse-and-cart trader.
  • The donkey trader is appropiate for iber and kush.
  • The cart, pers, ptol trader consists of only a dromedary camel; a human on foot should be added.
  • Maybe move the trader animal actors (donkey, dromedary camel, horse-and-cart) to `art/actors/units/global/`, to avoid unnecessary duplication?
  • Like 2