Single Player Map

allalongthetower

Not setting an AI for the opponent will mean that no conflict occurs basically turns the game into a city builder which should be immersive enough for your target group ;) there will be an other civ on the map though so tell them to ignore it though a few sparks may still fly never seen a group of kids that uniform :LOL:

Enjoy the Choice :)  

11 hours ago, allalongthetower said:

Good day, all! I wanted to use 0 A.D. in class, but would be reluctant to have my students fight against another civilization (they're 5-10 years old). Is there an option in the sandbox mode where you are the only civ on the map?

10 hours ago, Loki1950 said:

Not setting an AI for the opponent will mean that no conflict occurs basically turns the game into a city builder which should be immersive enough for your target group

ai.thumb.png.60cf4608ff8e45809a70652e42622cdb.png

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, allalongthetower said:

Good day, all! I wanted to use 0 A.D. in class, but would be reluctant to have my students fight against another civilization (they're 5-10 years old). Is there an option in the sandbox mode where you are the only civ on the map?

Set all players to the same team and unselect all win conditions, then you will have what you want.

1 hour ago, OptimusShepard said:

If you choose "unassigned" you could still attack the other player.

I think better would be to take both players into the same team, and to select fixed teams. You will win instantly, but you will be able to go on playing.

1 hour ago, nani said:

Set all players to the same team and unselect all win conditions, then you will have what you want.

Or just generate a random map with the number of players set to 1.

You have to edit the map which you like to play. On a first look, it seems to be very easy. Should be enough to deleting only the part were the animals were created. You find the maps here "AppData\Local\0 A.D. alpha\binaries\data\mods\public\public.zip\maps\random". To editing the map, you have to move it outside the zip. The .js file is what you need.

If you need more info’s about map scripting @elexis is the expert.

If you want to have the map as a mod, @nani could tell you more.

10 hours ago, allalongthetower said:

Great suggestions! Thank you all so much! The community is one of my favorite parts of this game. Is there a way to get rid of the animals to get rid of that violence as well?

Thanks!

This simple mod removes animals from the game: no animals.zip

It's not the best solution, as it causes some error messages to pop up, but it works.

To use it, simply unzip and past the folder inside  0.A.D\binaries\data\mods

Then enable it in-game via options -> mod-selection

• Like 2

Very nice that you want to use 0 A.D. in you class!

I fully understand your reluctance to use violence in class, therefore I've put together a mod that removes all attacks from the units. This means animals are still in, because who wants to teach kids animals do not exist?

NoViolence.zip

If there's something wrong or not working, please do not hesitate to contact me.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2020 at 11:21 AM, Freagarach said:

Very nice that you want to use 0 A.D. in you class!

I fully understand your reluctance to use violence in class, therefore I've put together a mod that removes all attacks from the units. This means animals are still in, because who wants to teach kids animals do not exist?

NoViolence.zip 777.97 kB · 4 downloads

If there's something wrong or not working, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for this! I didn't want the kids to be able to hunt the animals--they're young, and especially since we're not physically in school right now, I'm not able to have a nuanced conversation with them about hunting, right or wrong, violence, etc. The "no animals" mod, teams, and unchecked win conditions seems to work pretty well, but sometimes I have trouble loading the mod with the other mods I have downloaded (some from inside the game, some added manually). Is there any way to get these mods, yours and the "no animals" mod added to the in-game download options so that I don't have to have parents manually move the files to specific folders? Thanks again for all of your support!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stan` said:

One thing you can try is replace zip by .pyromod. if file associations are correct you should be able to double click to install :)

Stan, Thank you for your reply. I'm kind of lost. If I change the extension of the file to .pyromod, they will be able to double click to install? Will it matter if they are using Mac or Windows?

25 minutes ago, allalongthetower said:

They love it! How long do you think until it will be approved as a download in the game?

It might take some time. The person doing the approvals has very limited time as he is working on his PHD thesis :)