Balanced Maps mod

badosu

This is a set of maps with balanced resources intended for competitive gameplay.

Maps:

- Balanced Mainland

- Balanced Hyrcanian Shores
- Wrench

- Cross

- Britannic Road
- Slopes
- Balanced Continent

Download on 0ad mod downloader (0.20.0) or latest stable release on https://0ad.mod.io/balanced-maps

Github - https://github.com/badosu/badmod/

1v1 Balanced Mainland

Spoiler

288744142_Screenshotfrom2020-02-2311-26-10.thumb.png.cedd55a1fc5e5e628194b6391552180d.png

4v4 Balanced Mainland

Spoiler

1659490804_Screenshotfrom2020-02-2311-25-29.thumb.png.5180c2ce95d5235dec375975ae62b428.png

New map Wrench

Spoiler

1069502432_Screenshotfrom2020-02-2518-12-19.thumb.png.9deccc0352d581268a95ca8a7e8ee0ce.png

New map Cross

Spoiler

1237360642_Screenshotfrom2020-02-2910-25-14.thumb.png.369461028d47c438c714f72d5ea718a0.png

Balanced Hyrcanian Shores (optimized for medium 1v1)

Spoiler

Screenshot from 2020-02-29 17-30-05.png

Britannic Road

Spoiler

britannic_road.png

Edited by badosu
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

Yes, after looking at @Feldfeld's Brittanic Road I'm definitely porting the random food generator as soon as I'm able to figure out how to balance the fauna for each biome (it only works for deer biomes currently).

With regard to the trees, these maps were optimized for very specific settings on competitive gameplay (mainland small; cross, wrench and hyranian medium). The wood generator is still the default one, the reason why the trees seem to be few is that some maps have boundaries which prevent them to be spawned. I also had to get rid of straggler trees in cc range to avoid the fig/apple trees to provide additional food.

That said, for small sizes I increased the wood multiplier. Unfortunately given the random nature of the default wood generator it still can provide a lot of imbalance that can not be fixed by it, fixing that is beyond my abilities/priorities at the moment.

Edited by badosu

Done proof of concept, it is a behemoth of complexity and brute force, but should cover all biomes. It makes some assumptions on gameplay for each biome (e.g. huge food is possible in some biomes but much rarer while savannah, desert and snowy have greater amounts) so feedback is appreciated.

It also introduces the concept of straggler fauna, which is close to cc enough to be usable but not in quantities to make farmstead worth. It exists to help with fauna calculations but may also may be an interesting factor in gameplay. I also allow for the possibility of a single patch of berries or small hunt to exist but it also has a 50% chance of having no extra food at all if food to be placed is 600 or lower.

I also slightly reduced the distance from ccs in mainland so that small has a bit of backside and made mineral positions vary more widely.

cc @ValihrAnt @Feldfeld

balanced-maps.pyromod

Edited by badosu
  • Like 1

if you are in a polar area the ideal is fishing like the Eskimos do.

currently there are no such variants of fishing or obtaining resources attacking villages that live on the ice (Gaia).

In the desert there should be caravans to plunder and vast treasures of food.  the rich merchants of the deserts seem to me a good booty along with their tents.

hqdefault.jpg

498e810aef2c408a4cf755ebf399ab31.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

I see, this seems to be out of the scope for the current effort though. I could imagine a set of textures and triggers on a custom map that could implement these ideas though, if easy to be ported and fair enough could even make into competitive maps.

New development version, several fixes from Feld and Valihs feedback:

- Fix fauna/flora spawning on iber walls
- Use areas to generate food, tks for the steal Feld
- Create new AnnulumPlacer for disk with a hole
  - Does not scan whole map as DiskPlacer
  - It seems avoidClasses distance is not exactly equal to the distance of the placer, so avoidClasses is not a suitable 'hole'
- Spawn minerals on whatever angle from player position
- Port to Wrench

balanced-maps.pyromod

Edited by badosu
  • Like 2