generate completely mirrored map for 1v1?

kangz

This would be great! A true standard 1v1 to settle any issues.

A fully mirrored map will mean that a player will be capable of knowing exactly what resources, and where, the enemy has. So for an early rush I'll know exactly where all the berry spots are, where the woodlines are and such. It severely reduces importance of scouting. Other than that not too many downsides I can think of right now.

• Like 3

A certain level of randomness can be kept.

Hopefully one could make only the most high level aspects regarding balance to be mirrored: extra resources anywhere in a certain radius range (min range-max range-max degree spread) of the cc but can't overlap with the same type or different amounts than opponents, in locations that would make sense e.g. metal and stone reachable only via expand or p2, etc. Wood can't have too much variation (too thin or too fat clumps) and/or the total amount must be equal but the spawns are free to be defined by rngezus etc.

Edited by badosu
  • Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 9:19 AM, ValihrAnt said:

A fully mirrored map will mean that a player will be capable of knowing exactly what resources, and where, the enemy has. So for an early rush I'll know exactly where all the berry spots are, where the woodlines are and such. It severely reduces importance of scouting. Other than that not too many downsides I can think of right now.

This is an interesting take. But doesn't that also apply to pre-built maps?

That might also explain why you prefer playing on Random Maps as well.

So, I just opened the editor to take a look at how that would work. From what I see, the map should be a scenario or a skirmish?

I failed to find a place that defines the randomness script.

PS: For anyone wondering, on linux you can find the random maps on data/mods/public/public.zip

PS2: Ok, it seems pretty daunting, thankfully the library methods are decently documented.

Edited by badosu