Linux Libertine

Nescio

6 hours ago, sphyrth said:

The Wildfiregames Forums is mostly Sans font, and I find this thread readable. The issue is HOW you use the fonts. And Lion has been clear about General design rules... which obviously has exceptions.

As for the choice of Font. Yes, Libertine seems to have better Serif attributes than Biolinum. I prefer that type of font for 0 A.D.... especially on the small chat boxes.

Sorry, I don't quite understand.

2 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I don't have any problem only giving some information.

The important thing is that the serifs give a classic psychological touch and not modern as the sans serifs give.

Gives more that classical felling.

Indeed is better.

Indeed, not inappropiate for a game set in classical times.

• Like 1

@Nescio The mod looks good, I think you should include the license file for Linux Libertine and FreeSerif. You can place it next to the mod.json. (we place the license along with the font files in the fontbuilder folder, which you can't do with a mod)

Please upload a new version of the mod, instead of trying to replace the current 5.3.0. The latter usually fails because of the way mod.io caches files. ;)

23 hours ago, Itms said:

@Nescio The mod looks good, I think you should include the license file for Linux Libertine and FreeSerif. You can place it next to the mod.json. (we place the license along with the font files in the fontbuilder folder, which you can't do with a mod)

Please upload a new version of the mod, instead of trying to replace the current 5.3.0. The latter usually fails because of the way mod.io caches files. ;)

Sure, I could do that, but is it really necessary? The mod doesn't contain the (otf, ttf) font files themselves, only the (fnt, png) output generated by the fontbuilder.py script and there are no licences in binaries/data/mods/mod/font/ either. Moreover, the licences for the fonts used in this mod are already present in the 0 A.D. distribution: binaries/data/tools/fontbuilder/fonts/FreeFont-LICENSE.txt and LibBiolinum-LICENSE.txt.

Yeah it is necessary as the fnt and png files are derived work from the font itself. You are right that the FreeSerif license is already covered by the vanilla game (but it can't hurt to say it again in the mod); and even though Libertine and Biolinium are covered by the same license it's not written anywhere yet.

In any case adding the license information to your mod is not going to cost you anything ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itms said:

Yeah it is necessary as the fnt and png files are derived work from the font itself.

Something is a derivative work if and only if the underlying work is modified or adapted in a way that is sufficiently original. I believe that's not the case here.

1 hour ago, Itms said:

In any case adding the license information to your mod is not going to cost you anything ;)

That is true.

However, I looked at a couple of mods hosted via mod.io (autociv, borg-expansion-pack, no-blood-and-gore-mod as well as jp-lang, zh-lang, zh-tw-lang) and none of those had licence or copyright files, which makes me wonder why it is suddenly required in this case.

To clarify, I don't mind adding a licence file per se. I'm asking follow-up questions because it would set a precedent for future mods.

On 2/22/2020 at 11:20 AM, Nescio said:

However, I looked at a couple of mods hosted via mod.io (autociv, borg-expansion-pack, no-blood-and-gore-mod as well as jp-lang, zh-lang, zh-tw-lang) and none of those had licence or copyright files, which makes me wonder why it is suddenly required in this case.

Oh, it's not required, I'm just giving you a suggestion here :) and the language packs do include the license of packed fonts, which is the reason why I came up with the suggestion for you. However, and I'm discovering this only now, I forgot to put the license files in the a23b releases of the mods :blush: they were in a22 and a23 versions. Be assured that I will keep adding them when I don't forget, and that your mod won't set a precedent.

On 2/22/2020 at 11:27 AM, Nescio said:

Another question, is it possible to make the fontbuilder.py script use font features?

The script directly calls libcairo's API, so the answer is probably yes, even though I don't know much about that API.

I also really like the "unusual" but better perispomene accent featured on the bottom line (y) 

15 hours ago, Itms said:

Oh, it's not required, I'm just giving you a suggestion here :)

Thanks, your earlier “should”, “please upload a new version”, and “it is necessary” seemed to imply it was mandatory, but if it's merely a soft recommendation, then I don't mind. Anyway, I've now uploaded a new zip that includes the ttf font and the licence files.

Edited by Nescio
typo

14 hours ago, Itms said:

I also really like the "unusual" but better perispomene accent featured on the bottom line (y) 

That “unusual” is relative. The shapes of diacritics is part of the font design. Most available fonts nowadays have a tilde-shaped perispōménē (circumflex), but that's because Greek is usually an afterthought and Modern Greek is monotonic (only a single tonos (accent)), unlike Ancient Greek, which is polytonic.

In serious typesetting (dictionaries, grammars, text editions, articles, etc.) both the tilde-shaped and the inverted breve-shaped coexist, though the former is quite rare in English titles but more common in French publications.

Personally I favour the inverted breve-shaped perispōménē too, because it looks aesthetically more pleasing (also when combining diacritics, e.g. ᾗ), is easier to differentiate from the macron (e.g. ᾶ vs ᾱ), and stays close to the manuscript tradition.

• 11 months later...
On 25/02/2020 at 8:12 PM, Itms said:

I signed the mod and validated it.

Somehow this mod doesn't show up in the in-game mod download in A24. While a lot has changed since A23 and the new release breaks most mods, this one still works fine, as it should: font rendering was last changed in 7595. (And if it doesn't work, clear your cache, then it will.) So could you have a look and make it show up?