Do we need MSAA anti-aliasing?

23 minutes ago, gameboy said:

@vladislavbelov I have a suggestion: increase the multiples of FXAA, such as 2XFXAA and 4XFXAA, to enhance the anti-aliasing effect.

From irc yesterday http://irclogs.wildfiregames.com/2020-02/2020-02-05-QuakeNet-%230ad-dev.log he said that those values could be chosen in other types MSAA.

Plus @vladislavbelov will be happy if someone tested  https://code.wildfiregames.com/D2621 and  posted there results.

1 hour ago, asterix said:

Plus @vladislavbelov will be happy if someone tested  https://code.wildfiregames.com/D2621 and  posted there results.

It's more about performance and correctness, not about visual improvement (may only on broken cards, which can't mix ARB and GLSL shaders).

1 hour ago, asterix said:

From irc yesterday http://irclogs.wildfiregames.com/2020-02/2020-02-05-QuakeNet-%230ad-dev.log he said that those values could be chosen in other types MSAA.

For MSAA we have such values because it uses multi-sampling (Multi-Sampling Anti-Aliasing). And a possible option controls number of samples per edge pixel.

• Like 1

2xFXAA 4xFXAA etc basically defines how far the FXAA algorithm looks for lines that can smooth. Turns out that FXAA is usually so cheap having it at max is a good default. Notice that I don't mean how many points are area samples but how far the algorithm will follow a line to smooth (and get a better result).

Edited by nani
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

ERROR: Failed to compile shader 'shaders/glsl/cas.fs': 0(64) : warning C1503: undefined variable "rcp" 0(70) : warning C1503: undefined variable "rcp" 0(73) : warning C1503: undefined variable "rcp" 0(64) : error C1008: undefined variable "rcp" 0(70) : error C1008: undefined variable "rcp" 0(73) : error C1008: undefined variable "rcp"

7 hours ago, gameboy said:

ERROR: Failed to compile shader 'shaders/glsl/cas.fs': 0(64) : warning C1503: undefined variable "rcp" 0(70) : warning C1503: undefined variable "rcp" 0(73) : warning C1503: undefined variable "rcp" 0(64) : error C1008: undefined variable "rcp" 0(70) : error C1008: undefined variable "rcp" 0(73) : error C1008: undefined variable "rcp"

"rcp" seems to be an AMD optimized function. I have replaced it. You could test the patch again.

Thanks for testing :)

CAS (contrast adaptiv sharpening) isn't against aliasing, it's an sharpening pass. By using FXAA the game gets much more blurry. CAS could reduce/avoid this blurryness. So I would recommend to use this both options together.

FXAA isn't perfect. But as the algorithem of FXAA and CAS are realy cheap in performance usage, thats a realy good quality/performance compromise. Especially for older computers.

If vladislav or someone else will has the time, he/she will implement another better algorithem. But I would guess that's currently less priority.

Edited by OptimusShepard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, gameboy said:

@OptimusShepard I have tested your new patch, which seems to require a stronger sharpening effect.

What do you mean when you said it needs a stronger sharpening effect? Do you mean the default value? The original patch has a static sharpness factor of 0,5. The new patch allows you to select a sharpness value between 0,0 and 1,0 by slider. The default is set to 0,3. A value greater than 1,0 would lead to colour noise.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...