===[TASK]=== Improve hero portraits

Lion.Kanzen

21 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I uses Lordgood paintings heheheh

Can you send me some examples?

21 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

guys you can considerate my portrait for some hero if I fixed?

If that's demetrius the problem is that's the hero I made from the statue ^^ Other than that I think the helmet is somewhat malformed.

31 minutes ago, Stan` said:

If that's demetrius the problem is that's the hero I made from the statue ^^ Other than that I think the helmet is somewhat malformed.

You have not followed the development of mine, I also took mine the lines and the drawing of the statue, but at the time of painting I added more years.

the helmet is the perspective of one who is in the repository.

Demetrius' face is very hellenistic, it looks a lot like Alexander's, probably all the successor busts have that in common.

Spoiler

Resultado de imagen para "lordgood" art 0 ad

All I'm saying is use my drawing for some other hero. I can even change his helmet.

Over there I have Ptolemy Soter I

Resultado de imagen para ptolemy soter I lion kanzen

30 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I give up with portraits.

I will make my own mod.

But I I'm tired about this.

I'm know I need much improve the skills and tricks.

But I'm ignored again.(as always).

You're not ignored. I'm there but most of the Art Team is afk right now. I think you can improve the portraits more but I dont  know how. So I dont want to say something stupid or lead you in the wrong direction.

I ask for suggestion.

The problem isn't only this.

Sounds too I can enchanted existent, because I can edit and the expert isn't compromised as I'm.

Or make sketches for gui or campaign.

Or cheat unit.

Etc etc.

I a will make a repository of art.

Probably is more useful there.

Is

funny how others use my art, moders from Total war stealth my work and give some use.

Tomorrow we talk about that midnight here.

7 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The problem isn't only this.

So what's the issue?

8 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Sounds too I can enchanted existent, because I can edit and the expert isn't compromised as I'm.

I dont understand what you mean?

8 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Or make sketches for gui or campaign.

If you want to make sketches I have a lot of ideas.

9 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

funny how others use my art, moders from Total war stealth my work and give some use.

Do you have examples? It sounds nice (Except for the stealing part)

Would you like to talk to me via IM on whatsapp?

1 - I mix two topics I can improved all my previus work.

1.2 some stars elite artist make some contributions then left (leave) the project.nl

2- yeah I open a topic a month ago.

3- I found other devs use my work more than 0 AD.

My Seleucid anchor. I think they appreciate more than the team.

My mauryan designs for shields are there in a TW mod.

----

I will improve the technique probably I'm using wrong  tools and I need be more simple and less realistic.

image.pngimage.png

Here is some feedback I hope it helps.

21 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

some stars elite artist make some contributions then left (leave) the project.nl

@Victor Rossi you mean?

25 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

3- I found other devs use my work more than 0 AD.

That's good. The goal of the art license of 0 A.D. is to be shared with appropriate credits.

26 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

My Seleucid anchor. I think they appreciate more than the team.

My mauryan designs for shields are there in a TW mod.

The seleucid anchor was supposed to be committed just be @Enrique left. I guess that's why it was forgotten.

Here are some more general points I'd like to give for your design, Lion.  Focus on contrast that brings out the direction of the lighting.  All too often it feels like the darks are not dark enough; that kind of shading is crucial to making facial features pop out.  Next of all, I'd say that your faces look good.  Unfortunately good is problematic since the small irregularities that do exist seem even worse because of that (Think of the uncanny valley.).  Sadly, there's not an easy fix for getting the placement of facial features right aside from meticulous practice.  I haven't really applied myself to any significant degree on Illustrator or other graphic design programs to demonstrate, but a useful trick I've done is figure drawing.  Spend different intervals of time trying to draw different poses of people, and the insight you can get from just a couple hours of practice is surprising.  Best of luck.

On 1/31/2020 at 1:50 AM, Stan` said:

Spoiler

image.png

image.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=8555247b2bf5ea0c

Here is some feedback I hope it helps.

@Victor Rossi you mean?

That's good. The goal of the art license of 0 A.D. is to be shared with appropriate credits.

The seleucid anchor was supposed to be committed just be @Enrique left. I guess that's why it was forgotten.

not only Victor. basically mostly of painters and even some concept artist.

my portraits are not finished for the following reasons.

1. mainly because I don't know if they like them or if they will be useful. I try to learn every day.
  2. Since they are not finished, I don't add what I feel is missing. It is physical and mental work.
  3. As I always focus on the face. The clothes and the final details are last, what I want first is feedback on whether my work has potential if I continue.
  4. the heroes are not finished in main game so.. I need more input and feedback about armor for Heroes.

With Ptolemy  I , I just need remake based in my own previous work.

but may be if I'm inspired i can make 3/4 portrait.

thanks for the feedback. @Stan`

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

15 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Here are some more general points I'd like to give for your design, Lion.  Focus on contrast that brings out the direction of the lighting.  All too often it feels like the darks are not dark enough; that kind of shading is crucial to making facial features pop out.  Next of all, I'd say that your faces look good.  Unfortunately good is problematic since the small irregularities that do exist seem even worse because of that (Think of the uncanny valley.).  Sadly, there's not an easy fix for getting the placement of facial features right aside from meticulous practice.  I haven't really applied myself to any significant degree on Illustrator or other graphic design programs to demonstrate, but a useful trick I've done is figure drawing.  Spend different intervals of time trying to draw different poses of people, and the insight you can get from just a couple hours of practice is surprising.  Best of luck.

thank you. @Thorfinn the Shallow Minded that is all. this motivates to try again

Spoiler

Aquí hay algunos puntos más generales que me gustaría dar para tu diseño, León.  Enfócate en el contraste que resalta la dirección de la iluminación.  A menudo se siente como si la oscuridad no fuera suficiente; ese tipo de sombreado es crucial para hacer que los rasgos faciales salgan a la luz.  A continuación, diría que sus caras se ven bien.  Desafortunadamente lo bueno es problemático ya que las pequeñas irregularidades que existen parecen aún peores debido a eso (Piensen en el valle misterioso.)  Tristemente, no hay una solución fácil para conseguir la colocación de los rasgos faciales aparte de la práctica meticulosa.  En realidad no me he aplicado en un grado significativo en Illustrator u otros programas de diseño gráfico para demostrar, pero un truco útil que he hecho es el dibujo de figuras.  Pasa diferentes intervalos de tiempo tratando de dibujar diferentes poses de la gente, y la perspicacia que puedes obtener de sólo un par de horas de práctica es sorprendente.  La mejor de las suertes.

I'm afraid of contrast, even though I have to apply it at the end.

It's hard to visualize beyond the portrait, I'm basing myself on a statue of Demetrios.

I just imagine Demetrios on foot in the middle of the battle, dirty. How he would look in the game is crucial to me.

------------------------------

My motivation for this game is great, I want to help finish it, but have the quality of a AAA.

I'm creating a conceptual methodology that we can follow together.

My suggestion is, in the midst of your warlike, or ordinary, action (the hero).

can be work as icon, so bust or Close up frame are good.
3/4 if is possible like RPG or others RTS.

Check Warcraft , SC 1-2 , TW icons. etc.

Tutorials.

Tools.

Tips are welcome.

• 2 months later...

Isn’t the Leonidas portrait still using Butler’s face in the film 300? Atlas still has that barechested actor. No offense to a game striving for historical realism.

Would also want to suggest a change to the helmet (in the portrait and actor) since it does not match the Leonidas statues. Or if there are passages from historians that the king wore a helmet like that as in the portrait/actor. The shield as well, based on the Medusa texture on one of the already-made Hoplite shields (aspis).

Thermopylae monument (could not find one with a better close-up of the head and face):

1355890329_20a8f0a269_b.jpggreek-thermopylae-warrior-statue-outside

leonidas_closeup_front_left_4.jpg

Statue near the city stadium in Sparta:

98c7c3afc22c3606545f44ed51b8d6a7.jpg

42850684880_63bab643c6_b.jpg

120946328-close-up-portrait-statue-of-le

Edited by Carltonus
Reiterating last sentence, images
  • Like 1

Just checked some other threads. With the current Alpha 24 models in hand, the remade hoplite helmet (preferably the last guy in the yellow teamcolor) would be close to what is expected from the statues:

image.png

The only re-textures needed are the dots between the crests of the zigzag (holder for horsehair) and that deerlike(?) carving on the cheek.

If the Butler actor and portrait are to be kept, the hero helmet should be replaced with the helmet as seen in the film (suggest that the horsehair remain black instead of teamcolor, the latter reserved for the cloak and optionally another part of the helmet).

Would be happy if you want sketches to help with the hero portrait improvements. 

Edited by Carltonus
Image fix, reiterations

9 minutes ago, Carltonus said:

Would be happy if you want sketches to help with the hero portrait improvements. 

The current portraits are placeholders. Ideally each hero ought to have an unique portrait. If you think you're up to it, don't hesitate to go ahead. Feel free to use this 5th C BC bust from Sparta for inspiration:

Spoiler

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/Sparta%2C_Temple_of_Athena_Chalkioikos%2C_Statue_of_a_Spartan_hoplite_%28possibly_Leonidas%29.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, what's the problem again? I'm not understanding what the problem is.

leonidas.thumb.jpg.4ca2a2fb91b43f1c066734f954e66e88.jpg

The in-game Leonidas is on the left, with the (probably) accurate transverse crest. The only problem with the portrait is that he needs some salt in his beard. The fun '300' style Leonidas is on the right. The one on the right could use a custom texture that makes the crest black like in the film, but other than that it works just fine. The '300' Leonidas portrait does suck though, lol. But if one or the other is remade, then it would probably be good to just remake the other too. (y) 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

All right, here's the situation, @wowgetoffyourcellphone:

1. Currently the Leonidas hero portrait mixes Butler's face and helmet (in the film) with the accurate traverse crest not extended to the shoulders. If the 300 Leonidas actor is to remain (for example, as a scenario asset), the helmet's crest position should be fixed. That can be the new spart_hero_leonidas_300.png.

2. For the proposed new portrait, the Spartan helmet extending to the chin (from the statues and the one from the Spartan bust) will be used; totally different from the hoplite helmets which extends to the neck. 

Other than that, expect a sketch from me in probably a few days.

• Like 1

I'm aware what I'm about to say doesn't really contain any information, just an observation that there is little information to be found.

The use of transverse crests is debated.  Nobody can really find an reference for the crest having any meaning such as royalty status or an officer position.  Obviously it signifies an officer status in the late Roman army.  That could be because they took that idea from the Greeks, as they appropriated a lot of armour ideas from the Greeks.  But just like the Italo-Corinthian helmet, it might have been appropriated with mistaken intent.  It also could have been appropriated from the Gauls.  Only Greek examples of it being used are on a couple of Spartan figurines, and a few amphorae.  It is possible that Leonidas used a Corinthian or Corino-Chalcidican mix helmet like he has on the statue with spear above.

However that statue was made in the 1990's, and might represent an inaccurate portrayal of his armour.  This bust was made a couple of years after he died, and might be a more accurate representation, HOWEVER XD when the bust was recovered, the crest had fallen off and the current crest is a recreation, so there is a possibility (though I doubt it based on the fact that there are no marks on the sides of the helmet to detonate attachment points) that he used a transverse crest.  On top of that, its not even certain this is Leonidas.  There was no inscription, and it is only referred to as "Leonidas" because it was found around the Spartan Acropolis, and the woman that found it just call it so.  So nobody really knows about his armour. Maybe he had this transverse crest, or maybe he didn't.

So I guess its up to the us to decide.  Some accounts say he was a fairly down-to-earth general, so maybe he wore a normal crest like the rest of his Spartan "bois". Others say he was a majestic and proud royal, so maybe he did wear a transverse crest to show his status.

220px-Helmed_Hoplite_Sparta.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long wait, but here are the first sketches!KingLeo.thumb.PNG.043109f01c6495bd8497410509e7f7d1.PNGKingLeoDay.thumb.JPG.0cca0c249b7b1dcf8208008b29c74a08.JPG

A mix of the city stadium statue (left) and Wikimedia bust (right) with the model already in-game.

First image was uploaded at night so yellow lamp was used. (Edit) The second one is the same but uploaded during the day. If you want more whiteness, could re-upload in the daytime. Feel free to use these in your editing programs. Do you need more sketches of King Leonidas, or how about other heroes (Brasidas, Agis IV, etc.)?

Edited by Carltonus
Uploaded whiter image
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...