Will There Be Roads?

Math_the_great

The plan is that paths will naturally develop on terrain that is frequently walked upon. Paths will provide a movement bonus to units and other types of terrain will hinder movement. I'm not sure if any of the civilizations will be able to build roads though. That's a question for the designers. :)

A great idea, but I'm not a programmer so I don't know how that could be implimented.

Empires has roads that automatically conjoin your buildings as your town expands. They're only used for Eye Candy though.

I think though, it would be a cool idea if you can research a "roads" tech at the market for example, and then a road would be generated on the map that connects your markets/allies markets. That would then increase the speed of caravans by X amount...

Someone mentioned on the forums here a few weeks ago, if you have roads automatically being built between buildings and over trade routes, there might be benifits for the players for faster movement, but there also is a bonus for your enemy, but showing a path on the map that will lead right to your cities. Something to think about :)

""The plan is that paths will naturally develop on terrain that is frequently walked upon. Paths will provide a movement bonus to units and other types of terrain will hinder movement. I'm not sure if any of the civilizations will be able to build roads though. That's a question for the designers. ""

oh that is cool, will roads look more elaborate over time(Lke from dirt tracks to city streets)?

The idea reminds me of setttlers IV

Well, i really think that citizens should be able to build roads. If they do it, not automaticly, you can place the roads tacticly to one city to another, and allies. AND, but if you do that, you must have a button, "Follow this road" or something like that!

OK, maybe not citizenz build roads, but "Roadbuilders", like engeneers in Empires (They only place mines, repair and take over buildings tho..)!