some clarifications with my gaming in 0ad

PieLam

2 hours ago, PieLam said:

I also discovered my speakers stopped working. (they've been on the fritz for a good long while) so I stopped playing after a few minutes. (...) Something else I'll have to deal with now!  :(

OK, here you go:

pie@pie-5:~$ free -m
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           7875         740        4918          16        2216        6824
Swap:          2047           0        2047
pie@pie-5:~$

Don't think this tells you much, does it? Aside from the computer name, of course.

Sorry this took so long...I'll try to do better...

RIP speakers :/ You may be able to plug a headset if your computer has the appropriate Jack?

Good job man! OK so you have a working swap :) means 0 A.D. really should just slow down the system first, progressively for a few minutes. My tip if you want to try it: when you feel that slowdown, don't wait. Save your game, exit 0 A.D. and restart after a few seconds (with a SSD) or ~20 sec (with a HDD). And if you have motivation to help us understand and tell you for sure the reason why it locks up, try running 'free -m' somewhere between when you feels it goes slow and you close the game.

Edited by tuk0z

12 hours ago, PieLam said:

Yesterday, I  went to my Linux PC and updated 0ad, at least I think, (forgot to note what version the original was).  The version I DL'ed is A23 not A24 like I was hoping for.  :(

I also discovered my speakers stopped working. (they've been on the fritz for a good long while) so I stopped playing after a few minutes. I was wanting to test 0ad's behavior, to see if it would lock-up. Since my speakers stopped working, it  made me realize just how dependent I am in this game's audio. Something else I'll have to deal with now! 

the version should be a23b, not a23. it should be in ubuntu repos unless ubuntu is old.

wiggle the connector in and out while playing audio

• Like 2

23 hours ago, tuk0z said:

RIP speakers :/ You may be able to plug a headset if your computer has the appropriate Jack?

Thanx! I thought they just plugged in the same line-in jack (???)  Is that not right?

23 hours ago, tuk0z said:

Good job man! OK so you have a working swap :) means 0 A.D. really should just slow down the system first, progressively for a few minutes. My tip if you want to try it: when you feel that slowdown, don't wait. Save your game, exit 0 A.D. and restart after a few seconds (with a SSD) or ~20 sec (with a HDD). And if you have motivation to help us understand and tell you for sure the reason why it locks up, try running 'free -m' somewhere between when you feels it goes slow and you close the game.

Thanx. Good to know about the swap thing.  ;)

Not sure if any of this matters or not, but JIC:

The Linux PC has one big, to me, drive a 1TB SSD. I didn't want a complicated config on Linux, since I wanted a smooth & easy install. BTW, this simple config was achieved. For a noob like me, I was somewhat proud.  ;)

The Win PC OTOH, was installed with a sole 120GB SSD. A few days after the Win10 install, I added 4 traditional HDs. I ended up having a boot SSD & a total of 4TB storage on traditional/mechanical HDs.

Both PCs have AMD CPUs. Both have GeForce GPUs. The GPUs aren't the very cool hi-end kind nor are they the very low-end neither.