Civ Naming (and displaying)

So, the game currently has the Persian civ with these naming characteristics: 

"Name": "Persians",
    "Code": "pers",

This will (could) become problematic in the future with the introduction of the Sassanid Persians, for a couple reasons. Firstly, now you have 2 Persian civs and naming one of them simply generic "Persians" and the other specific to its dynasty wouldn't work very well aesthetically. Secondly, the game's UI lists civs by their "Code" instead of by their "Name" (perhaps that should be changed regardless), meaning that even if you renamed the current Persians to "Achaemenid Persians" the UI lists it under 'P' for the "pers" code. So, I suggest a couple things:

1. The current Persians be renamed to the Achaemenid Persians
  2. The current Persians be recoded to "achae," (yes, templates and artwork too) and
  3. The UI code be changed to list civs by their Name rather than by their Code in drop down lists and elsewhere.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

So a bit like Mauryan → Mauryas?

Maybe @Nescio wants to make a patch for it?

No, that was different: Maurya is singular, Mauryas plural, and Mauryan adjective; Mauryans [sic] is improper English; also, the civ code remained unchanged (`maur`).

9 minutes ago, LordGood said:

Seems like a mod issue

Indeed it is. There is only one real candidate for Persians in our timeframe (c. 500–1 BC); the Arsacids (247 BC –AD 224) are commonly known as simply the Parthians and the Sasanians (AD 224–651) are clearly outside.  Moreover, Persians is consistent with Gauls, Macedonians, Romans, etc. Besides, you can use `sasa` or `iran` or even `persia` or whatever you like for your civ mod.

8 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Sassanid

Sasanian is preferred nowadays.

1 hour ago, LordGood said:

arent sassanids a part 2 civ? Seems like a mod issue

You know it will be an issue for Part 2, then why not fix it now.

Anyway you guys are missing the point. Of course the Sassanids would use the sass or sasa civ code, but then you would continue to call the Achaemenids "Persians" with the "pers" code? If we planned to add multiple Macedonian civs then using "mace" for the civ code would be problematic yes? Athenians and Spartans don't both use "hele". And even if you kept the civ codes the same and just changed the civ name, the GUI would not sort the civs correctly as I've stated. For some reason the gui sorts civs by code and not name.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Optimally, they would be sorted by translated name. The problem here is though that lexical sorting depends on the locale, e.g. AFAIK German has a different sort order for "ö" than Swedish does, and sorting by code point won't do the job. The ICU library might have an implementation for correct lexical sorting, but I haven't looked into this yet.

The workaround I used for sorting the language names in Widelands is to have a "display name" and a "sorting name" for each entry. I think Battle for Wesnoth uses this trick too.

language_menu.png

Edited by GunChleoc
  • Like 2