Visual feedback for researching

7 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Could even have a dude pop up hammering on the anvil.

2 hours ago, gameboy said:

@Stan` If there is a blacksmith in this blacksmith's shop, it will be more vivid and real.

The only issue is you wouldn't be able to kill him which might look a bit more strange if you are under attack 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Can't be done currently without extra code.

Fair enough.

2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Krinkle concern is valid though maybe that gives too much information.

Quite the contrary, I believe that providing more visual information is exactly the point. Same reason animations at barracks would be cool, so that if you invade an enemy territory, you can identify the high profile targets from the duds. In real life, barracks full of soldiers would be a more important target than an empty building. Scouting would be rewarded in more ways than one, as would keeping enemy scouts out. Also, it would look fantastic and immersive :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

I loved the fact that in the settlers 5 you could see unit training. It's actually possible to do it with little code and some animations.

I used to play Settlers III when I was a kid and I still love all their animations! Miners going in and out of the mine. The smelter smelting iron. The blacksmith hammering at the anvil. Logs being fashioned into planks at the sawmill... Almost every building had associated animations. It was glorious! :P 

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

I'd rather not priorize that though :)

Very understandable :) 

So I had to look a couple of times before I noticed what's new. I agree it's visually pleasing, though I have a few concerns. First of all, why only the blacksmith's? Either all structures researching or training something ought to have animations, or none at all. Secondly, how does it affect performance? Furthermore, as you pointed out already, if structures have animations, then that reveals information to other players; is that desirable? And finally, does the AI take into account which enemy structures are researching something.

While those animations certainly look nice, it might be better to put them into a mod, rather than making it the default for 0 A.D.