===[COMMITTED]=== Siege Artillery Rework

Alexandermb

Upcoming new artillery preview:

Small 2 Operator lithobololos: For those who always asked for a "Tower" Artillery, this could fit a tower (and if it doesn't tower will fit on it). Following references made this siege artillery wich is an smaller version found on a reference but not seen only one but multiple times, specially on some artistic drawings of macedonians on a river using it wich can be appreciated that isn't that big in some cases and it does in others.

So the point is Split artillery in 3 Classes.

Light Artillery: Oxybeles/Polybolos/Scorpion. Fast shooting light artillery, good agaisn't infantry. 1 - 2 operators. (Yes the plan for modders (not main game) could be upgrade wall towers into roofles towers for small artillery).

Med Artillery: Lithobolos, Roman Ballista Medium size ideally for ambushes were the artillery is faster to move carried in a wagon as usual but with shorter range and smaller stone projectiles. 2 - 3 Operators

Heavy Artillery: Roman Heavy ballista, Carthage Heavy Lithobolos, Reinforced Heavy lithobolos. Ideally for besiege towns from a long range, Expensive specially on wood, acquirable only by some factions, stronger, slower than a Ram and if its possible it should be good to have a Tech to unlock them,. 4 - 6 operators

This could make artillery a 3 phase gameplay being workshop available at 2nd phase unlocking only light artillery, Med artillery and Ram at 3rd Phase and Research about some kind of education recquired by the greeks and romans of that era wich allowed them to do this possible).

This is only my thought, this isn't a gameplay choice im placing above all other decisions. But thats my plan, Hopefully maybe someone add it to a mod or maybe it reaches main game.

Spoiler

Ballista Attack Ranged - Operator Left Done.gif

Some references i have for my plan:

Spoiler

9620a16061753904c9ccfe931d88653d.jpg10105e1db0aae108af6172dbd648251c.jpg1138c6c5f201711f7c6f77fd4c2c0c9d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

These are gameplay proposals or just animation changes?

First it is only visual assets changes, i've already done with the medium artillery lithobolos, now i will have to make at least 2 big versions of lithobolos, 1 medium ballista for romans, Finish my Polybolos wich is only UV adjusment and finally make a new Scorpio. However for properly implement them whitout having a weird visual glitch like kush hero archer gattling gun, i would like to propose that gameplay change on siege (propose, not force neither commit it whitout asking any1 else) why? Because we already see a disproportional size visualization on Rome Ballista with all the lithobolos, while i've already seen enough reference of greeks having the same size of artillery so.. for more realism and immersion i vote for giving light artillery they own template, as well as medium and finally Heavy.

Giving this to the main Civilizations with restrictions giving a limit of the recruitment could also help but also i try to aim for historical accuracy Visualy speaking wich is my only area. Size, Usage, Skirmishes/Ambushes or Besiege Cities.

So templates could either be light, medium, heavy artillery or Boltshooter Stonethrower, Heavy_Stonethrower. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stan` said:

@Sundiata Is this worth a facebook share?

Of course it is, it's awesome :P, But I can't embed it...

@feneur, @Itms, why can't I embed GIF's to the facebook page? I asked before, but without the ability to embed gifs, a lot of good social media content is wasted. I think it's something you need to enable or something. It's silly because random commenters can leave gifs in the comments without a problem...

How it is for me everywhere else (option to upload gifs):

1093000029_ScreenShot2019-12-01at11_00_31.thumb.png.9cb01062e0979c86c75f3350f6d324d8.png

How it is on 0AD's page (no option to upload gifs):

1125983685_ScreenShot2019-12-01at11_01_09.png.5020d0ca36c539cf74d88345d745be15.png

I found a workaround using a 3rd party website to host the gif and then embed it a couple weeks ago, but even that doesn't work anymore... I can't find any way to embed it. Just an external link appears, and nobody wants to click those...

33 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Of course it is, it's awesome :P, But I can't embed it...

@feneur, @Itms, why can't I embed GIF's to the facebook page? I asked before, but without the ability to embed gifs, a lot of good social media content is wasted. I think it's something you need to enable or something. It's silly because random commenters can leave gifs in the comments without a problem...

How it is for me everywhere else (option to upload gifs):

1093000029_ScreenShot2019-12-01at11_00_31.thumb.png.9cb01062e0979c86c75f3350f6d324d8.png

How it is on 0AD's page (no option to upload gifs):

1125983685_ScreenShot2019-12-01at11_01_09.png.5020d0ca36c539cf74d88345d745be15.png

I found a workaround using a 3rd party website to host the gif and then embed it a couple weeks ago, but even that doesn't work anymore... I can't find any way to embed it. Just an external link appears, and nobody wants to click those...

I can , you must upload as photo/ video.

2 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I can , you must upload as photo/ video.

That doesn't work. The option to uploads gifs is not a part of the setup. If I try to upload it as photo/video, the upload screen just freezes. I can wait 30 minutes and nothing happens... 

As you can see, the option to share, or even preview is even greyed out. 

1389565391_ScreenShot2019-12-01at14_44_27.thumb.png.f58dbd21dc1a6bd2054e48bc32344a57.png

It's just stuck there in perpetuity... Every time, whether I use Safari or Firefox. 

11 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

That doesn't work. The option to uploads gifs is not a part of the setup. If I try to upload it as photo/video, the upload screen just freezes. I can wait 30 minutes and nothing happens... 

As you can see, the option to share, or even preview is even greyed out. 

It's just stuck there in perpetuity... Every time, whether I use Safari or Firefox. 

I use Chrome / Edge Chromium. Check my page and you can see some recent gif there.

Add some text.

image.png.7a177c0caec5bc00559489ac9445d85b.png

"Wait for attach video"

Public share.done

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sundiata said:

Oh my god, @feneur, @Lion.Kanzen, it was really as simple as that. Just needed to write something in the header.... I'm so sorry to waste your time, and thank you for the help!

No problem because now I'm aware that you can't publish gifs or videos without putting text, while photos you can.

@Alexandermb In case you didn't know the engine also supports animations variants for packing and unpacking. Thanks @Angen for noticing.

Pack.prototype.Pack = function()
{
	if (this.IsPacked() || this.IsPacking())
		return;

this.packing = true;

let cmpTimer = Engine.QueryInterface(SYSTEM_ENTITY, IID_Timer);
	this.timer = cmpTimer.SetInterval(this.entity, IID_Pack, "PackProgress", 0, PACKING_INTERVAL, { "packing": true });

let cmpVisual = Engine.QueryInterface(this.entity, IID_Visual);
	if (cmpVisual)
		cmpVisual.SelectAnimation("packing", true, 1.0, "packing");
};

Pack.prototype.Unpack = function()
{
	if (!this.IsPacked() || this.IsPacking())
		return;

this.packing = true;

this.timer = cmpTimer.SetInterval(this.entity, IID_Pack, "PackProgress", 0, PACKING_INTERVAL, { "packing": false });

if (cmpVisual)
		cmpVisual.SelectAnimation("unpacking", true, 1.0);
};

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stan` said:

@Alexandermb In case you didn't know the engine also supports animations variants for packing and unpacking. Thanks @Angen for noticing.

Pack.prototype.Pack = function()
{
	if (this.IsPacked() || this.IsPacking())
		return;

this.packing = true;

this.timer = cmpTimer.SetInterval(this.entity, IID_Pack, "PackProgress", 0, PACKING_INTERVAL, { "packing": true });

if (cmpVisual)
		cmpVisual.SelectAnimation("packing", true, 1.0, "packing");
};

Pack.prototype.Unpack = function()
{
	if (!this.IsPacked() || this.IsPacking())
		return;

this.packing = true;

this.timer = cmpTimer.SetInterval(this.entity, IID_Pack, "PackProgress", 0, PACKING_INTERVAL, { "packing": false });

if (cmpVisual)
		cmpVisual.SelectAnimation("unpacking", true, 1.0);
};

Thats good to know, i was about to ask something like that to fix the unsync horse hair while unpacking wich came from the 2nd update. Apparently every entity picks animation randomly when engine assume its his first placement on the world or the simulation. This is not a horse related hair bug but aparently entity issue.

We need to have at some point on visual animation Force the entity to pick Always the first animation for all the actors and then start choosing randomly the rest of the idles.

While packing or unpacking the game take the switch between packing and unpacking state visually as a new entity on the simulation, thats why i gets unsync.

2 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Our engines lack of properly death animations

Since it only sink inmediatly i've only done a simple animation of the main wooden support lit towards, So the weapon isn't destroyed but "disabled" however maybe i can make it a lil bit heavier tearing apart some pieces after death, only the main pieces.

• Like 1

Ok, probably not going further than this, this was a pain to do and i don't remember how many times i've started from scratch because blender rotation bones bugs or clipping with the hip.

And i want to look this beast already ingame. (Probably i will have to reduce attack speed for avoid having a tarzan climbing the lithobolos)

Spoiler

Lithobolos Attack Ranged - Operator Done.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

• Alexandermb changed the title to ===[COMMITTED]=== Siege Artillery Rework