Sign in to follow this  
m7600

How do you beat Petra Bot in Deccan Plateau?

Hi,

First off, awesome game, I really love it.

I haven't registered yet but will do. Quick question, how do you beat the AI in Deccan Plateau? I can't beat Petra Bot even on normal difficulty. I tried other maps and did pretty well on that difficulty setting, but there's something about Deccan Plateau that makes it crazy difficult. The abundance of resources, maybe? I'm playing with Mauryans and I've tried every strategy that I can think of, but I'm still getting crushed by Petra Bot.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums, glad you like the game. I tried the map with Mauryans on Very Hard difficulty and I'm attaching the replay for an inspiration. There is a lot of hunting available, have you made use of it? Wood is scarce but that makes it even better for Mauryans with the worker elephant. I'd keep in mind that in RTS games like this, good execution of a strategy is often more important than picking the the best strategy.

2019-11-28_0005.zip

Edited by Boudica
  • Like 2

Hi Boudica,

Thanks for that awesome reply! I really appreciate that you took the time to play that map with Mauryans and for providing a replay. I'll check it out in a second. 

I had not made use of hunting, except for the birds and the occasional deer, I left the elephants alone. I'll see what I can do about that.

I just beat the AI on Easy, but I'm still getting crushed on Normal. But I'm making progress. By the time Petra Bot destroys me, my army is composed of champion macemen, swordmaidens, maiden archers, the elephant hero, and some war elephants. I'm able to do some damage to the enemy's base, but for the life of me I don't know how Petra Bot is able to put together a humongous army. It's as if the enemy troops spawned out of thin air in no time. 

Well, I guess I need to practice more. I'll check out the replay. I can't even begin to imagine how to win on Very Hard, seems impossible to me at the moment.

Thanks again!

Just saw the replay. Wow. So in the early game your army consists mostly of archers? That... makes perfect sense, the enemy's melee units can't damage you if they can't reach you... also, I see that you used 1 light cavalry to attack several elephant and rally them to your base. I would have never thought of that. I see that you sometimes the box formation for your archers. Is that generally recommended? Because I was always using the skirmish formation for ranged units. Anyways thanks again

Thanks for the reply, maybe you can post a replay too for us to discuss what can be done better. ;) There are a few tips:

• Champions are no longer cost effective since this alpha version and they are typically only good for specific tasks later in the game. Most of the games we play in multiplayer are without any champions.
  • Dealing damage from a distance sounds nice but in the case of archers that damage is pretty low. Archers are generally considered inferior to other types of ranged units, yet still an army with a majority of ranged units currently works the best. Often you are best off with only so many melee units that they can take all the damage for the ranged units.
  • Formations currently don't give any bonuses, but they can be used to quickly gather your units together (and you can disband the formation afterwards). Engaging fights where your units keep coming in a line is one of the most common mistakes. It makes only a small part of you army actually fight at a given moment, which is the opposite of what you want.
  • The basic strategy for almost any map is to grow the population as fast as possible. New players might often tend to only make as many units as they feel necessary, but you should generally aim to make as many and as early as possible. Using all the fast food sources first is one of the key parts to achieve this.
  • Elephants are the best source of food in the game and luring them in your territory is one of the useful soft skills to learn. Cavalry units are by far the fastest at gathering meat. All of the fast resources are limited though, so don't forget to transition to farms early enough.

The Easy Petra AI is actually quite hard for new players, so it's no shame. Anyway, Petra behaves in a way that can be exploited to defeat even multiple of the bots teamed up. These exploits won't work against human players though, so I'm not listing those. If you want to see what experienced players usually do, there is a section full of game replays on the forums. I think it's a good learning material. Ask if you need anything and maybe come join the multiplayer when you feel ready. ;)

I just beat Petra Bot on Normal! I tried to do what you did, focus on archers early, and I also tried to lure the elephants to my base. I waited until I had champions to attack. I made a ton of mistakes (one of my worker elephants got trapped between some houses, etc.) I also noticed that Deccan Plateau has some cool treasures hidden away, like the Golden Fleece, some wood and some food. I grabbed those early own so I could get an edge.

All in all, it was a tough battle, but I'm proud that I could win this map. It wouldn't have been possible without your advice!

Here's the replay.

2019-11-28_0010.zip

Congratulations, very nice! Your play was better than expected:

• Good idea with the treasures. They are most often disabled in multiplayer, but when they are available, they can be a real game changer.
  • If you want to be even faster, try to keep the walking distance of wood workers shorter by moving the elephant or placing another storehouse closer. The walking time is easy to underestimate and reducing it helps.
  • Women are great on farms and OK on wood, but they are very slow at mining minerals. Better use citizens.
  • There was some unnecessary delay in unit production because of missing houses or not queuing units early enough. It seemed that you know about it, but I mention this because it's one of the common mistakes that can make a great difference. Some players use Ctrl+<Number> groups for barracks to easily select them all.
  • When you went for the attack, I'd recommend retreating units to heal them at a temple when their health points get low. Especially with champions that are expensive to produce, but their greater health allows them to retreat before dying. You had a great advantage when you went for the attack, but in a common scenario, losing so many units for one fortress might not pay off.

Cool, hope to see you in the lobby soon. :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reading this thread, very interesting thanks! I don't know how to load in 0AD the game you saved and share here as a zip. Any tip? Thx!!

You can beat the toughest AI by playing slow and make units constantly to gather and raid.
 Lots of ways:

1. Raid with cavalries and disrupt their economic activities while you are producing both women and CS to gather, build and fortify.

2. Play defensive and let them attack. This one needs a couple of towers , meatshieds (heavy infantry) and range units. Micro wounded units to garrison and continue defending with units and more micro to prevent casualties. By playing defense until you have healers your units will get ranked and you can attack in phase 2 with healers.

3. Phase 1 raid with military units is what I used when playing against 2 toughest AI. Raiding with all types of military units using counters. Range units supported by spearmen to take down cavalry. Then make towers (2 towers having inter-defensive ranges with each other is enough) before they can attack. Sometimes when you raid 1 player the ally will send help so it disrupts their economy too. To do this is to divide your initial CS into 2 then make 2 cavalries (I prefer range cavalries) and proceed to raid without delay. Hit and run. The main objective is to take out the range units and cavalries first. Then all enemy heavy infantry can be easily neutralized with “2 range units hit and run tactics”, 1 range unit attack then retreat while another unit (cavalry) attacks the enemy attacking your range infantry or the other way around. But you need to keep on sending CS to raid on both enemy gathering areas while retreating the wounded to gather (or heal if necessary).

• Like 1

So, no offense people, but this thread is like a billion years old. I've beaten Petra bot in Deccan Plateau and in all the other maps, several times, since I first started this thread.

Well you’re ripe to be playing with the good players in MP then.

i just like to play the single player and got exhausted by playing MP team games, I’m just not good enough to become pro to compete with faster players. 

Just sharing some little knowledge about the game in SP for new players.

Edited by Servo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, m7600 said:

So, no offense people, but this thread is like a billion years old. 

Isn't even a year old... Is normal seeing topic like this still active.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Isn't even a year old... Is normal seeing topic like this still active.

Except for the fact that there's something called "content", as in, what is actually written in these comments.