Capitole du Libre 2019

Stan`

Hello everyone,

This weekend I attended an open source event in Toulouse, France called the Capitole du Libre. It’s a free event that a lot of FLOSS project attend. It’s organized each year around the same period at the ENSEEIHT by a team of volunteers. I was supposed to meet @wraitii there, but unfortunately, he couldn't make it. Maybe next year!

I met quite a lot of people there, including potential new players you'll probably meet in the lobby.

I asked two C++ programmers if they could have a look at D14. They said they’ll try to find time to do so soon.

I had a chat with the teachers of the ActivDesign art school. We already have two infiltrated students here on this forum. We discussed potential contributions under the form of mods (They have a lot of game design students, and also some artists) and the continuation of the guide project, so stay tuned.

I also had a really nice time with the guys at Khaganat , ./play.it !, Otterways,  Framasoft and a few other artists like the very talented David Revoy. (Who knows, there might be a Pepper model in 0 A.D. in the future:wink2:) We had a long discussion about Open Source around a few pizzas :pizza:

I also met with one of Godot's team member StraToN who is looking forward to @vladislavbelov's presentation at FOSDEM in February. Since they did not get many applications, I will try to contact the guys at STK, and Spring 1944 to see if they'd like to talk about their games there in the devroom

I also met with the person behind the GLTF2 exporter for Blender which is also a very talented rigger and gave me some advice for the partridge. I believe it would be nice for 0 A.D. to switch from DAE/PMD/PSA to GLTF2 in the future. He is currently using our blend files to stress test his exporter.

During all the weekend computers were made available and people played 0 A.D. on them. There was also a LAN party on Sunday afternoon but only two people played.

Someone asked me to help him figure out how to mod the game for an association of his. If this is an interesting topic, I might propose a "Mod 0 A.D." Workshop at the next Open Source event I attend.

I tried to make 0 A.D. run on a Jetson nano to test @Itms's (D2244) patch following the discussion here, but we ran out of time :( Compiling on such platforms is really slow.

I also had a chat about SpiderMonkey at the Mozilla stand.

We also had a request for a PeerTube 0 A.D. presentation video in LSF (French Sign Language), so if anyone is up to it let me know. We might provide one in other Sign Languages as well.

I also had a presentation prepared but I couldn't unfortunately speak because of a schedule issue. You can find the slides below.

See you soon at FOSDEM in 2020 !

IMG_20191118_113043.jpg

Capitole du Libre 2019.pdf

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I also met with the person behind the GLTF2 exporter for Blender which is also a very talented rigger and gave me some advice for the partridge. I believe it would be nice for 0 A.D. to switch from DAE/PMD/PSA to GLTF2 in the future. He is currently using our blend files to stress test his exporter.

What are the advantages of using GLTF2 ?

8 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

What are the advantages of using GLTF2 ?

Well our format has some limitations, like the fact there is no scaling in the game. (We could then have randomized height for units). The library we use (FCOLLADA) is severely outdated and no longer maintained and so is the format. 3Dsmax has now more chances of supporting GLTF2 than fixing it's collada flaws (Though they will probably keep pushing for FBX) GLTF also supports shape keys.

Just now, Stan` said:

Well our format has some limitations, like the fact there is no scaling in the game. (We could then have randomized height for units). The library we use (FCOLLADA) is severely outdated and no longer maintained and so is the format. 3Dsmax has now more chances of supporting GLTF2 than fixing it's collada flaws (Though they will probably keep pushing for FBX) GLTF also supports shape keys.

Yeah, you conviced me with Scaling. Go for it! 

Just now, Stan` said:

Well I guess we could define the scale in the VisualActor of the template :)

Template sounds better, for RPG element's such as Shrinking skills (Imagine mario mushrooms) will be needed maybe Hyrule conquest could use it already.

Visual actor will mean it will be restricted to the own actor making it annoying and going for duplications for changes on scale. 

Even if its possible to reduce work instead of default scale size go for a ScaleRatio.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The C++ code wasn't the prob per se. The renderer choices were a different topic. See sander17's effort.

Yet it is possible. COLLADA isn't too bad. Now OpenMW supports it. All great progress everywhere. If one is offline for some time. Otherwise it feels like forever. Like progress throughout history was soo slow when you lived in that certain time. Maybe that's a good thing :)