Sign in to follow this  
Stan`

===[COMMITTED]===Improve Artillery Tower Particles

18 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The crater is missing.

I can add that. Your computer is not gonna like it though :)

5 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I can add that. Your computer is not gonna like it though :)

Can fade out with the time, by the way. AoE 2 check mixed with fire.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Can fade out with the time, by the way. AoE 2 check mixed with fire

So does blood, and your computer doesn't like that either :D

Just now, Stan` said:

So does blood, and your computer doesn't like that either :D

You are understimating my new pc only in need a gpu and i can have very decent equipment.

A small fading crater would be nice... Not necessary, but nice to have. Perhaps it could be a graphics option that can be disabled? Either way, I love the effects as they are already. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

You are understimating my new pc only in need a gpu and i can have very decent equipment.

Well I have a GTX1070 and 12 Core CPU and I notice it :D But yeah you will probably be fine, some people might not. Let me try a small decal so I can go back to my tuna and commit this.

2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Well I have a GTX1070 and 12 Core CPU and I notice it :D But yeah you will probably be fine, some people might not. Let me try a small decal so I can go back to my tuna and commit this.

Even a little circle texture darker can work.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Actually the engine does not allow it. The impact crater will disapear as quickly as the particles... And it cannot be attached to the projectile else you'd see it flying... So I guess we can call it a day.

artillery_tower12.gif

• Like 3

Just another question because I expect this game to have the same graphical quality as a triple A title.  Could the explosion particle effect more emerge from the area of impact as opposed to it just popping into existence?  Maybe it's just the slo-mo that makes it look a bit problematic.

• Haha 1

we've already passed AAA graphics
noone in their right mind would spend this much time on anything if there was a budget involved lol

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Actually the engine does not allow it. The impact crater will disapear as quickly as the particles... And it cannot be attached to the projectile else you'd see it flying... So I guess we can call it a day.

artillery_tower12.gif

What if the attach point minheight, maxheight is used ? 

3 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

What if the attach point minheight, maxheight is used ? 

Then it'll stick to ground ? and you'll see it move ? :D

6 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Then it'll stick to ground ? and you'll see it move ? :D

if its attached to the projectile after impact it will stay in the ground, however don't know if its possible to change projectile after impact.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Alexandermb said:

Also, could be good to make the dust darker and stronger to hide the crater popping up.

Needs to be mildly all-biome friendly, this will be fine on temperate maps but mediterranean and desert maps will contrast a lot more the the darker dirt

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

if its attached to the projectile after impact it will stay in the ground, however don't know if its possible to change projectile after impact.

Can be done, with extra code.

2 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Also, could be good to make the dust darker and stronger to hide the crater popping up.

No crater no problem  :D

4 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Can be done, with extra code.

No crater no problem  :D

No please! don't remove the crater :LOL: that crater is needed strongly for all artillery shots decals.

6 minutes ago, LordGood said:

Needs to be mildly all-biome friendly, this will be fine on temperate maps but mediterranean and desert maps will contrast a lot more the the darker dirt

Maybe the same dust but more stronger at  the beginning, thought i really don't know how particles works so far.

1 minute ago, Alexandermb said:

No please! don't remove the crater :LOL: that crater is needed strongly for all artillery shots decals.

That crater will also kill perfs :P

Also I don't see the point of having it if it dissapears too quickly for one to grasp.

2 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Maybe the same dust but more stronger at  the beginning, thought i really don't know how particles works so far.

You can change the size and the number of particles (It creates 2D planes) The XYZ velocity,  XYZ position, RGB color,  AND XYZ force applied to it.

ah yes, but keep the crater i like craters

ballista impacts every 5 seconds are nothing compared to hundreds of units dying, performance issues are negligible

11 minutes ago, LordGood said:

ah yes, but keep the crater i like craters

ballista impacts every 5 seconds are nothing compared to hundreds of units dying, performance issues are negligible

Even if You won't see it because of the impact expiration 0.2 secs ? Also I activated friendly fire so those towers are not taken lightly.

its all about the impact stan

also ouchie, even the siege ballistae have no FF, and you can actually control those

unrestrained ballista towers yeeting stones into your own fields with nothing you can do about it, I dont know about that one

3 hours ago, LordGood said:

we've already passed AAA graphics
noone in their right mind would spend this much time on anything if there was a budget involved lol

which is why we're here in the first place right? :medieval:!!!!

19 minutes ago, LordGood said:

even the siege ballistae have no FF, and you can actually control those

unrestrained ballista towers yeeting stones into your own fields with nothing you can do about it, I dont know about that one

Especially because they can be controlled, they have no FF. It makes sense right.
In the end all will have to be balanced. That can be done after the tower is submitted.

@Stan` ΚΥΔΟΣ for the work on this one!
Please upload non-cropped real-speed GIFs before submitting though, what counts in the end must be the impression the player sees in-game. At some point we'll all be developing tunnel vision.