Is there any way to add to the terrain?

Alexkingly

Forgive me for this if it's simple, I did search for awhile trying to find a way..

But I'm interested in making a mod but I need a different texture for grass then the ones provided in the editor, I would be really thankful if it was possible and someone could explain it to me.

Thanks.

Ps. I'm running windows as my OS, idk if that would make a difference 

11 minutes ago, Alexkingly said:

Forgive me for this if it's simple, I did search for awhile trying to find a way..

But I'm interested in making a mod but I need a different texture for grass then the ones provided in the editor, I would be really thankful if it was possible and someone could explain it to me.

Thanks.

Ps. I'm running windows as my OS, idk if that would make a difference 

Sure you can add new terrain textures to the game, you need to create a mod for them :)

21 minutes ago, Alexkingly said:

Say I had a mod, and I put the textures for the new terrain in there, how would I open up the new textures in the map editor?

In your mod, create an XML file, similar to binaries/data/mods/public/art/terrains/grass/grass1.xml and put it in folders with the same names, but in your mod, i.e. NAMEOFYOURMOD/art/terrains/grass/ , but pointing to the new grass texture you have created (and put in NAMEOFYOURMOD/art/textures/terrain/types/ ). As can be seen in the grass1.xml file you do not need to put the entire path to where the image is located, but just the types/ and the filename. (I guess you could use a different file structure, but to make things easier for yourself it's probably best to follow the existing one.)

Please see https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Modding_Guide for more information on how to create your mod.

When you have created the texture file, just open up Atlas and it should be there, ready for you to use. If not go through the steps and see if there's something missing, maybe you spelled the filename differently in the XML compared to the actual file etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have issues getting a texture in the game one good thing in general to check is whether or not the width/height is a power of two (i.e. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 512, etc). I think it's ok if the width and height aren't the same, though that's not really useful for map textures as they should tile in both axes anyway =)

• Like 1