Documentation writer - Andreas

Beise

10 minutes ago, Beise said:

Hi Stan,

all is well. I installed the tumbleweed version, which is the 023 and it works well under my 15.1. The suse people has to correct 15.1 and 15.2, which have the old version.

Ah, and a request. Please delete the attachments from the buildings wikiside, in the next days i put the new pictures inside.

Great!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Stan,

some small questions.

I made my screenshots from houses and found in the list, that i have to jump  above or below and then selecting the entry "house" again, to find more than one. Is this on purpose and, if so, where described?

What do iber_wall_xy under skirmish / structures /?  Why is structures / cart_s_wall_gate a wooden gate, like under other / palisades_rock_gate?

The doors are missing on many towers. How do you get in?
default_wall_tower, athen, mace, spart,     available
iber, brit, carts, cart, gaul, iber, kush,  maur, pers, ptol,
rome_siege, rome, sele,                              not available

Is the lack of doors the reason why I couldn't populate the towers while playing?
At least I got the impression.

greetings

Andreas

26 minutes ago, Beise said:

I made my screenshots from houses and found in the list, that i have to jump  above or below and then selecting the entry "house" again, to find more than one. Is this on purpose and, if so, where described?

Yes it it is on purpose. The feature to change between 'variants' is currently missing.

27 minutes ago, Beise said:

What do iber_wall_xy under skirmish / structures /?

Skirmish entities are special entities that get replaced at the map load by those of the player civilizations. If the civ is not the iberians, the walls are removed.

28 minutes ago, Beise said:

cart_s_wall_gate a wooden gate, like under other / palisades_rock_gate?

Because @LordGood never made a gate for them.

29 minutes ago, Beise said:

Is the lack of doors the reason why I couldn't populate the towers while playing?
At least I got the impression.

The reason doors are missing on wall towers is that there is no way to align them with wall pieces. The reason you were not able to garrison units in them is that only specific (mostly infantry ranged) units can get in.

On 1/19/2020 at 8:10 PM, Beise said:

On 1/19/2020 at 8:40 PM, Stan` said:

The reason doors are missing on wall towers is that there is no way to align them with wall pieces.

None of the wall towers should have doors at the ground level: they were massive from foot to parapet (unlike outposts and forts, which were hollow, to save material and increase storage space). Stairs were external (as in Stronghold; too complicated for 0 A.D., though).

[EDIT]: @Stan`, could those doors be removed from the athen/mace/spart wall towers?

And also the lowest level windows from the cart, iber, ptol, sele wall towers? The others look fine.

Edited by Nescio

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

could those doors be removed from the athen/mace/spart wall towers?

I guess that could be done.

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

And also the lowest level windows from the cart, iber, ptol, sele wall towers? The others look fine.

Why? I think they look fine

20 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I guess that could be done.

Great!

20 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Why? I think they look fine

For realism. :)

cart_walls.thumb.png.bbf42e7d30bf09d941eedd6ed898c4c7.png

Walls are solid up to parapet level (yellow line), the windows in the room above (cyan) should be there, but the ones below (magenta) are problematic.

Good Morning Stan,

then the best way to do my screenshots is that no doors and lower windows can be seen. Did I understand that correctly?

Other things.

The burning buildings in the "Rubble" section can be dragged onto the field, but they cannot be marked, rotated or deleted.

Each time a program restart is necessary to get to the next entry (Alpha 23, Opensuse 15.1).

2 hours ago, Beise said:

then the best way to do my screenshots is that no doors and lower windows can be seen. Did I understand that correctly?

For now just avoid the offending meshes :)

2 hours ago, Beise said:

he burning buildings in the "Rubble" section can be dragged onto the field, but they cannot be marked, rotated or deleted.

That's weird. Have you tried with alt?

2 hours ago, Beise said:

Each time a program restart is necessary to get to the next entry (Alpha 23, Opensuse 15.1).

I'm not sure I understand

@Stan` Hi Stan,

attached a part of screenshot files, which are edited. All are in A7 format at 100  dpi (414x292). Not for printing, only for sreen display. Please take a look inside, wether they are ok or not

and let me know wether you need also others, e.g. SVG.

Btw, how big can attachments by here. I have around 50 MB ready.

Andreas

Brit_414_292_96.7z Athen_buildings_414_292_96.7z

Hey @Beise,

On Trac, max file size is 2MB. here it 's it's a lot bigger up to 1 - 2 GB. If you have source files they will be uploaded to the art repository.

The Brittonic files look good, except the corral has weird artefacts in the background on a not white background, and you should remove the smoke from the market. The briton blacksmith has been redone for A24, but I guess it can be updated when that comes out.

Athen is mostly good, there is something fishy about this one though.

image.png

Keep up the great work!

@Stan`

Hi, other theme.

i'm not sure if this is a mistake or not.
In any case, all non-round markings are affected, some of which are only visible when activated, some permanent. They worry me. I mean, these are positioned at the wrong height, should be at height 0 and not, as can be seen in the pictures, overlap details. If that doesn't have to be corrected by the Devs, please tell me how
to do that. It may not be important for the game, but corrections during further processing are annoying.

Heroes_Screenshot_sample_20200128.png.145ce65baa20618b84dffd320510228e.png
Andreas

Other_figures_screenshot_20200128.png

@Nescio (In case I forgot something)

This is intended, those overlays are over the ground to prevent something called z-fighting flickering. Flickering occurs when two planes here the select ring and the ground are too close to each other. To prevent that everything is raised by a small offset. It's the same for building except you don't see the selection ring when not selected.

I guess you could hide them for the screenshots, but that would require some XML edition?

27 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I guess you could hide them for the screenshots, but that would require some XML edition?

Yes that's right. Switching off or switching transparent would be enough.                                                                                                         

Or make it bigger inside,that no more details are covered..

Stan is right, it's intentional and necessary, to ensure footprints look good in game. The circle is no exception, though I suppose it's less noticeable. And making the footprints significantly larger is not a good idea, because it would make the units more vulnerable to ranged attacks.

Those stars remain visible when not selected because `template_unit_hero.xml` has a <AlwaysVisible/> line. But you don't really want to see the footprints for what you're doing, do you? Here's a tiny mod that removes that peculiarity:

Beise[A24].zip or Beise[A23].zip.

By the way, if it's not too much trouble, it would be nice if you could use the following player colour scheme (r, g, b):

• basic: blue (0, 0, 255)
  • advanced: green (0, 255, 0)
  • elite: yellow (255, 255, 0)
  • champion: red (255, 0, 0)
  • hero: magenta (255, 0, 255)

@Nescio, @Stan`

Hi,

actually it was clear to me, because I know such markings from furniture planning. There they warn of immersion in the ground.
And the other were ideas that would not be needed in general, but only temporarily. And only in the editor.
Thanks for the mod, I'll work with it in the next few days.
What I don't understand is the Player Color Scheme.
If I interpret this correctly, would you like me to change the system settings? The system is set to ECI_RGB_V2_ICCV4
Or settings of the game or the editor?
Where to find the settings for player Color Scheme?
And no, it's not a problem. I have been thinking about whether to calibrate the system for a long time.

But not done so far, although that would be important for printouts

Just found. I'll be fine.

Edited by Beise

@Stan`  FYI

Hi Stan, I think I'll change the image size again. I don't like that when I look at the wiki page like this. They are too small for me. The ratio of image to font size does not fit, the image must be larger.
Then I have to create different image sizes for different output media. You recently sent me a link to your art directory. Can I have a folder with write or upload rights?

Stop, I forgot that you can change the size of the picture. I'll try it first.
Nevertheless, I have the problem of finding a format for as many media as possible.

already done, thanks

Edited by Beise

19 hours ago, Beise said:

What I don't understand is the Player Color Scheme.
If I interpret this correctly, would you like me to change the system settings? The system is set to ECI_RGB_V2_ICCV4
Or settings of the game or the editor?
Where to find the settings for player Color Scheme?

The default player colours for random maps are defined in simulation/data/settings/player_defaults.json, however, individual maps can have their own settings, which overrule the defaults. You can set player colours etc. in the scenario editor by clicking on the colour:

1714897996_Screenshotfrom2020-02-0114-40-30.thumb.png.89654d77197efeed73b59c67a30d2a91.png

To avoid having to do that everytime you launch Atlas (something which can be easily forgotten), it's easiest to have a blank map, change the player colours to the desired values, and save the map, which you can then load later.