Sign in to follow this  
go2die

Arkhipov - russian provocation

Well, he occasionally asks good players to play, too, but they don't come. You could rather blame the game not being more popular

• Like 1

They don't come for some reasons:

1. He does not play standard, often weird map sizes, pop or resources
2. He does not play until the end of game, often resigning as soon as notices other player is too strong
3. They know it's not a challenge

I tried playing against him many times

Edited by badosu
  • Like 1

@feldfeld so true will be somewhere in between...  I guess Arkhipov is good player, but for many reason (and maybe only his specific game conditions?) other refuses. 

That he refuses me is Ok, because I'm like annoying camel. 

I opened this topic here just to know more about this player, simply I barely see him plays with higher-ranked players. 

If this is all about ranking it would be nice to think how to improve it, otherwise we will end up not playing at all.

darn, the screen shot only took part of the screen :-/, basically he asked for 1v1 rated and chickened out at last moment.

Settings were:

Res High (10000)
Map Medium Random
Unlimited Pop

That's why I don't even try anymore, just wanted to confirm.

Edited by badosu

I knew he had weird settings, i played against him once, I'm just saying, I don't think it is necessarily bad intentions from him. The reason rating system only have little meaning primarly is that it's not active. If it was then his behaviour would be a non-issue.

@Feldfeld I tried to play him a looooooot of times, and he always refuses, is very funny becouse his games are named ''rated 1v1'' but when i join, inmediatly he changes it 

He's in his right, but that kind of behaviour smells sh*t, just playing with 1000 elo ppl.

Anyway, greetings =D

• Like 1

I think no need to really make his things a big deal. if you want to play him, then play, if not just leave him alone!

He is not bad at all regardless of his 1v1 things. 

He doesn’t brag or write any obscene language in the lobby compare to most decent (playing) players. 

There’s nothing wrong if he tanks his ratings. I’m sure it’s his style of having fun with the game. And each of us have our own fun of playing the game too!

• Like 2

@Servo you are right at some point. He can play for fun without rating, if he plays only with weaker players for rating then sorry I there is nothing bad to mention it. 

I challenged him few times, he is not behaving so good as you type in all cases.. . When i was ranged 1280 he told me he don't play nubs. When I ask him to play against me he ignores (whatever is his reason he has fully right - as I have full right to talk about anything - it is mutual). If someones has confidence to invite you to play "1vs1 russian provocation no stress" and later not accepting some players well he can do it.. but still we can talk about it as it seems "smelly" :)

Is it normal behavior when I join to team game and he (even not hosting game) says hoster "ban go2die!" ? No it is not.. 

I might have big mouth (and I have, I talk) but I never talk dirty or bad about anyone. 

The main reason I open this topic here was to understand why others high ranked players are avoiding him, it seems it is not that case all the time...

@Stockfish there are so many players (decent and pro) who talk trash and you know that. Some are for fun and some are serious that they get muted and banned. Not only in lobby but also in the game or even spec and ruin the game. There are so many players who can also talk s&@t using their own languages, and there are lots of players who can use their own language or 2nd language to talk trash. 

@go2die every now and then you will encounter such kind of attitude from a player, and if you are decent enough and just have fun playing, you will ignore such behavior. I played and beat him once already long time ago and it was lopsided and I think I got the points. But if he quits if in the losing situation and me not earning points, I wouldn’t care.

i don’t need to report any of this kind of behavior because I’m old enough and not childish. What will I gain? Bravado?! Am I proud to kick a@s,Blah blah, I’m not!

Now, how many times temperaments getting high and are prevalent in team games that leads to misunderstandings. And these are caused by childish and arrogant behaviors. Blame here blame there in really hard words that results in more obscene languages, do you report that?!

Me, I find playing multiplayer fun if I’m playing with people having fun. 

Somehow 0ad needs players. This guy Arkhipov has been here for a long long time and you guys just emerged and became good lately. If I’m the dev team shall I punish this guy who just want to play the way he likes? 

You knew that you can beat him despite having lower rating, so the problem is not his but yours.

• Like 1

@servo and why not to report someone who is misusing the rules? 0ad is for free but rules has to be followed for anyone... simple as that... It is called abusing the sytem. and ranking system has it own purpose to stimulate players to play against each other and rank them. It is so clear that if you don't report such player it is your think (and i dont do it too coz i dont have patience to upload replays) but if another player reports he has fully right :) and who is child that one who report the bad one? It is not  only about age here, so you can be adult but still fully legit to report...

I'm totally immune against obscene people, rage quitters, or whatever.  don't know how this relates to ranking system or explaining why Arkhipov refusing others, if you say he does that because others are obscene to him - well really all?

I seen rarely play Arkhipov plays team games related to his level, I even invited him to play... Still avoiding better players..

0ad needs players is correct statement. 

Do anyone want to punish Arkhipov here? Look back how i open this thread please. It is opposite I wanted to stimulate more players against those good players. 

How could I know I would beat him as I'm 1. lower ranked 2. never played him? Do you admit his rank is not adequate? So allow him /persuade him to play with others like me  more :)

0ad has rules but they aren’t perfect to protect and safeguard the rules. They will just hope that players abide by these rules and they can’t if they have inadequate safety nets. I’m sure it’s enough for now and it’s up to the players with each having different attitudes.

You should not single out an individual player if you really want to gauge your capability. If you happen to play with the best players in team game and you became a regular one, then you can at least know your place in the rankings averages. 

Playing a rated 1v1 has so many different purposes. For ranking or level or beats who and can’t beat who. But those are just temporary. 

Some really good players stopped playing rated for so many reasons. And each player/s have their own reasons.

As of me playing 1v1 is not about proving I beat you or you bested me. It’s about what fun I can get out of it. 

If Arkhipov is happy to where and which he is at now, just let him be. There are so many ways to prove or improve ourselves but not this way singling out a player because he does this and that.

1v1 rated in any settings can be fun or not, so if you embark on this kind of experience it’s up to you. If you choose to play for fun it’s up to you. But if you choose to be among the best and stress yourself up it’s up to you too.

I played a guy named Strategoslago and in the beginning I beat him and my rating keeps on rising so later on I keep resigning to give back his rating. He knew he can’t beat me but it was really fun to play on that Mediterranean cove which is one of my favorite single player map. 

Eventually he refused me because he said I was too good. I told him to keep playing and try to learn and said don’t worry about ratings. And we played lots of his hosted rated games and for me it was fun. So many games lasted 40 minutes to more than an hour! Even if I’m winning I resign to keep my rating lower because I entertain those who wants to play and no one wants to play the player. 

if I have very high rating I couldn’t play fun games with more hosted games from newbies to inters.

High level games are only fun if players are fun but 1v1 is like a bravado kind of setup. I even played the legendary Aqua for almost 2 hours on my first attempt to play his settings. It was a 2v2 that went to became 1v1 between us. It was fun!

Even high level team games are frustrating with bad balance, lag and the game mechanics is just about keeping on spamming and just battling effectively. 

Arkhipov can be a substitute in team games too though he is not good enough but he can be a good substitute if no one else is available. 

If you want to have fun playing 0ad 1v1 with lower level players you have to rethink your attitude and not obliterate your enemy. If you are not scared to lose you can do a lot of things to play for fun. 

Im not really a very good MP player just decent enough to play on the highest level of team games before but I rather smurf and play the new players who wants to experience playing and hopefully they had fun. 

But when I play svn game Hannibal Barca found it and stripped that opportunity. 

I can still play smurf but I like to play other game now, Dawn of Man as I am a single player type of gamer. 

Relieve yourself from stress by singling out this guy. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Servo said:

He doesn’t brag or write any obscene language in the lobby compare to most decent (playing) players. 

4 hours ago, Servo said:

@Stockfish there are so many players (decent and pro) who talk trash and you know that. Some are for fun and some are serious that they get muted and banned. Not only in lobby but also in the game or even spec and ruin the game. There are so many players who can also talk s&@t using their own languages, and there are lots of players who can use their own language or 2nd language to talk trash. 

Clearly you're exaggerating.

4 hours ago, go2die said:

and why not to report someone who is misusing the rules? 0ad is for free but rules has to be followed for anyone... simple as that... It is called abusing the sytem. and ranking system has it own purpose to stimulate players to play against each other and rank them.

Arkhipov isn't breaking the rules and won't get banned.

1 hour ago, Servo said:

so later on I keep resigning to give back his rating.

That is breaking the rules though.

By the way there has already been many players who played rated only against lower rated players, this is not a first. There are also many players who play a few rated 1v1 game and then only teamgame, making their rating artificially low, this arguably hurts the system just as much but if we're making an issue of every single thing this just becomes a mess and as i said the only way to make rating system accurate is activity (more players)

• Like 3

Since I played 0ad MP and been observing behavior of lots of good players in game, in lobby or in spec and those were my observations @Feldfeld. That’s why I try to avoid joining any team games when these sort of trash talkers are on my team, I rather spec.

who knows who can understand Spanish, German etc. But I’ve noticed that even if Arkhipov doesn’t want to mind these people, they keep talking about him. Did he really offend you and you got mad because if his game? 

Yeah I break the rules to let players play and have fun because no one seems to play with him/them. If a newbie wants to play a game and no one wants to play him, and the game went through, he could have enjoyed, I had little fun so yeah i break the rules without much untoward incident. 

I'm not very active in the game right now but most of the time that people get muted in lobby is because they let a "sh*t" slip, and afaik nobody gets banned from lobby for their language (except maybe for JC 2 alphas ago).

9 minutes ago, Servo said:

Since I played 0ad MP and been observing behavior of lots of good players in game, in lobby or in spec and those were my observations @Feldfeld. That’s why I try to avoid joining any team games when these sort of trash talkers are on my team, I rather spec.

From my experience at least 80/90% if not more of team games are friendly to the end. Maybe I'm biaised but i don't really feel the toxicity there, it occurs occasionnaly but remains rare to me.

11 minutes ago, Servo said:

who knows who can understand Spanish, German etc. But I’ve noticed that even if Arkhipov doesn’t want to mind these people, they keep talking about him. Did he really offend you and you got mad because if his game? 

Well at least it doesn't happen in french. I understand a little bit of spanish too and it doesn't seem to happen in that language at well.

12 minutes ago, Servo said:

Yeah I break the rules to let players play and have fun because no one seems to play with him/them. If a newbie wants to play a game and no one wants to play him, and the game went through, he could have enjoyed, I had little fun so yeah i break the rules without much untoward incident.

I know you don't mean harm but that was a reminder. The goal for that rule is more or less the same as with smurfing.  When someone keeps his rating low, then (new) players expect similar level of play and their experience may be affected by that. There still is the possibility to play unrated in cases like this.

I need to join this conversation..... go2die, I think your right in so many ways.

I have played a few games with him. When a reasonably decent player (am not one), joins, even if he said it is rated, he will immediately unrate it and play, to resign 10 mins later in the game. He only allows rated to a person he knows, he is able to beat. Feldfeld, it is true... thanks for having a good heart and doing your best to have his back, but sorry to disappoint that your faith is in the wrong person. Better support JC maybe.....

He might be a bit of a strange player, but at least he stays in his own corner... He's not a disruptive type, so I'd say just let him do him... It's up to other players to decide whether they actually play with him or not. I've seen him many times, and not once have I tried to play with him because his settings are obviously weird. Other people don't mind and play many games with him...

Do people even gain points when they play against someone that's ranked so much lower than them? Is it even an issue? Surely, those low level players can see his rating just as clearly as we can see it, no? Dedicating a whole thread to the man seems very unnecessary in my opinion.