===[COMMITTED]=== Civ: Rome Scutum

Alexandermb

On 10/8/2019 at 9:47 PM, Alexandermb said:

Solved:

Reveal hidden contents

scutum_12.pngscutum_12_spec.pngscutum_12_norm.pngimage.png

I am the  image.png

I wish i had any kind of audio and proper rig and spread what i have leanerd so far of blender to all of you. Though the audio may be an issue since im spanish languaje native.

Existen los subtitulos.

Aunque si nosotros podemos aprender de videos en otros idiomas no veo porque los del foro no puedan. 

20 minutes ago, Trinketos said:

Existen los subtitulos.

Aunque si nosotros podemos aprender de videos en otros idiomas no veo porque los del foro no puedan. 

Sep, pero el problema reside en que se llega a mas publico en general en ingles que en español, y que estaria a 5 fps en blender y el recorder jajaja.

My plan is to give specific shapes for each infantry, giving Oval-02 (Above texture) shape to hastatus.

Hastatus B: Oval - 02 leather layers Top/Bottom Animals in the middle.
Hastatus A: Oval - 02 Animals whitout Leather Layers.
Hastatus E: Oval - 03 Wings and thunders.

right now they use both the same shield in each rank:

Spoiler

image.png

3 hours ago, wackyserious said:

First and second ones are okay, the third one looks much damaged, what about dents on the spine? Most sword blows would be received by the spine, is this correct?

Thats the idea, getting damage over time until the shield is useless or barely recognizable, already tried focusing the damage on one spot, didn't work or would require another node tree wich im not aware yet.

11 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

Thats the idea, getting damage over time until the shield is useless or barely recognizable, already tried focusing the damage on one spot, didn't work or would require another node tree wich im not aware yet.

The problem I am seeing was having a seasoned triarii equipped with battered equipment, the army was highly organized. 3rd variant seems okay if the damage would be reduced by 15-25%, other than that everything is pretty neat and awesome. :)

Would plain wooden (uncovered) variants be created too?

14 hours ago, wackyserious said:

The problem I am seeing was having a seasoned triarii equipped with battered equipment, the army was highly organized. 3rd variant seems okay if the damage would be reduced by 15-25%, other than that everything is pretty neat and awesome. :)

Would plain wooden (uncovered) variants be created too?

14 hours ago, wackyserious said:

IE: i don't know if some of you have played Mount And Blade Saga. This games offer a good massive meele combat scenarios where you are trapped in the middle of a formation whitout able to retreat or move to much but keep pushing and figthing for the win in the front lane, at this point you wouldn't consider taking care of your shield and you will use it until it breaks and survive as long as possible most of the time your shield always breaks depending on the quality of it (gameplay speaking), but it always get really damaged if you are a melee figther. Playing as viking in viking conquest every fight i had to stole someone else shield to keep myself alive agains't strong enemies (champion units raiders)

The shield can be in optimal condition of course when the unit is at 100% Hp, But is pointless to imagine that in a fight "Shield wouldn't be that damage" or "That blunt wouldn't be there" Yes it does it will be strongly damaged, no matter what is the kind of metal or the strenght used agaisn't the shield. A human will preffer have his shield break than loose his life, a shield can be replaced a life doesn't.

Plus considering the space and the amount of texture that gona be used its better to show a huge difference per texture than having an slightly and barely noticeable from the distance:

Here an example of a gameplay view of the damage, barely noticeable the distance @Stan`  already reduced specular,

Spoiler

image.png

Here closer:

Spoiler

image.png

One can think the history says "With your shield or Above it" yeah pretty romantic quotes but a soldier wouldn't say "Oh my shield is broken! i don't have honor, i preffer to die!"

Another perfect example are the protest's of my country. They build shields to protect themselves of the bullets and granades, i was there and i know what a shield is and what it is his purpose when your life is in game you wouldn't have into account "Oh my shield!", you will use everything at your disposal to stay alive no matter what.

Spoiler

Resultado de imagen para escuderos venezolanos

5 hours ago, Stan` said:

@Alexandermb can you try lowering the spec a bit ? It feels like the shield is wet :)

Lowered a bit, increased bump strenght a bit, it looks like that because i had to change sun rotation to be able to see the bump + spec

• Like 2

Good reference material to follow, already saw most of the paintings in other references (drawings and artistic paintings) but they use the same shield shape. Would it be better if i only use 1 shield shape instead of 2? and leave the actual shape we have for extraordinarii.

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Extraordinarii:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.png

Triarii And Advanced/Elite Hastati:

Spoiler

image.png

Early Hastatii AKA Basic Rank Hastatii:

Spoiler

image.png

Or just mixed ?

• Like 2

Could you say the historical precedent for having the face on the shields?  Naturally that comes from Greek hoplites, but on the scutum it looks off.  I did a quick look on the web and only saw a reenactor using that kind of design.  Personally it seems perhaps a bit too far fetched that someone would paint that on that type of shield, but I'd appreciate some insight from someone more knowledgeable about Roman martial artwork than me.

Honestly i didn't found any neither  but this re-enactor i imagine is the same you found:

Spoiler

5893432ca46ab71e2fa50d618760c097.jpg

But as far as i've learned from history thanks to this forum, romans seem to be the ancient pirates of the copyright. They kinda stole everything they liked in the battlefield and adapted to their own taste ie: Gallic Coolus, Corinthian to Apullo - Corinthian, Chalcidean to Attic? i wouldn't be sure they didn't used it, but i've just did it because i saw it once with the reenactor and then secondly with a TWR2 Mod and i already had the greek face design already done in the aspis blender file and say why not?, if its okay and someone found more evidence sure, if doesn't then its replaced by another texture.

Spoiler

image.png

• Alexandermb changed the title to ===[COMMITTED]=== Civ: Rome Scutum