Currency System

DarkAngelBGE

Hi folks,

just installed a modification for our network. It's a currency system, which works as follows: Whenever you make a new topic, reply to a post or start a poll your currency gets increased. Then you can donate to some of your friends to help them get through, or people will donate some to you if they found a post of yours to be very mature and helpful.

If this takes off well and is really liked we may run some contests with that currency system with cool prices.

Enjoy !

PS: Post any questions here.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all. Nice you like it. :) I'd go with Karma, but then have some thread somewhere where the currency Karma is discussed, for ignorant people.

@Klaas: clickie. I had to make some changes to it, though, so that it works on the entire network and every member has the same currency on all community forums. B)

====

Edit:

Here is a list of actions that you will get "money" for:

posting new topic -> 5

replying -> 2

posting new poll -> 3

after 20 posts -> receive a bonus of 10

Enjoy !

It's some system to encourage people to post. I could create some sort of "bank" that donates plenty of currency to people who really made an outstanding post, so that it helps avoiding spam.

It's something to brag with and to be a subject of future contests maybe. Besides, it's some cool feature, which makes our network unique. B)

Some ideas i thought about while talking with Tim:

1. Everyone starts with 20 currency.

2. If you perform an offense, you get fined.

3. Depending on the nature of the offense, more money gets fined. I.E., a racial slur might be offendable by 50 coins, whereas using foul language only 10.

4. When you get to 0, you get banned.

5. You only get "paid" for a post if it has 20 or more words (to prevent spam money).

1-4:

That'd mean that people who have 7000 0ads are sort of allowed to break the forum guidelines. How does your idea get arround that, Jordan ?

5:

Hmm...you can say much with 15- words. Imagine this dialog:

A: "Anyone know a good searchengine?"

B: "Try *link*Google*/link*

A: Okay cool, thanks.

B used only 2 words, but helped A and basically answered the question.

Well, 20 words is just a starting figure, its tenative. It could only be applicable for the "General Forums", not forums such as "Computer Desk" where such conversations would take place...i dunno, it's an idea that needs finessing.

As for people with mass coinage, we could multiply the offense's fine by whatever # thousand you're on, rounded up, and again by 5. For example, say you had 3,519 0ads. Rounded up, it'd be 4,000, so 4 times the offense. If the offense was worth 100 coins, that'd be 400, times 5 again = 2,000 coins as the total fine.

Ex. 2, to see how it works with higher numbers. Current 0ad's = 12,385, and same fine worth. Thus, 12 x 100 x 5 = 6,000 for the fine.

Ex. 3, with lower numbers. Current 0ad's = 50, same offense worth. Thus, 1 (first 1,000) x 100 x 5 = 500...we'd have to have another formula for 0ad levels under 1000.

(side note: yes, we could have had this discussion in MSN, but its better for all too see it and give feed back)

Alright about the #-word idea...anyone else?

The problems with percents, no one offense is really worth 100%. Thus, its impossible to get to 0%. I.E., if you have 100 0ads, lose 50%, then another 50%, you don't lose 100%, you're losing 75% (50%, then 50% of that is 25%, 25% + 50% is 75%).

I have the right formula for under 1,000 coins. Instead of having it times 5, multiply times 1/2, and instead of 1 per 1,000 coins, make it 1 per 100. Thus, 2 (50 rounded up is 100) x 100 (for the offense) x 1/2 = 100. That means you lose all yer coins until you get a substantial amount. That way, its the more mature members that get up to 1,000 posts, and they have more of a chance of surviving.

Of course, we can always fine by even more than the formula grants if its deemed such a serious offense. Of course the formula needs fine tuning, if its chosen to be used.

Yeah I agree. Probably having a case sensitive formula works. Percentages if > 1000; absolute amounts if <= 1000.

Of course, we can always fine by even more than the formula grants if its deemed such a serious offense. Of course the formula needs fine tuning, if its chosen to be used.

Yeah, exactly my thoughts.

Good job, Jordan. B)

Exactly why i think we need a system where you only gain currency if you have so many words in a post. Also, if a moderator/admin deems a post a "spamoney" post, he can fine that person.

I think right next to the "Donate" link should be a "Fine" link, leading to a form of how much to fine and a box to place the reason in. Of course, this form would only be visible by authoritative people.