Fishy towers range

faction02

I have noticed from the structure tree that towers range elevation bonus increases by (+6) when a sentry tower get upgraded. I was wondering:

1. whether those bonuses are included in the aura range that can be visualized ? If not it might make more sense to include these bonuses in the normal range rather than in some elevation bonuses. At least, the visual representation of the range would be closer to the real one.
  2. if something is wrong with them. I attached a replay in which I simply upgrade 3 sentry towers and check the elevation bonuses in each case. According to the structure tree, the elevation bonus should increase by 6 (even if I would prefer those to remain constant). However I get the following numbers:

-8 -> -1

+3 -> +8

+16 -> +23

I guess that second issue might just be the result of rounding numbers but it would make more sense if the elevation bonus was only depending on where the tower was built. 

@Stan`

metadata.json

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, faction02 said:

whether those bonuses are included in the aura range that can be visualized ? If not it might make more sense to include these bonuses in the normal range rather than in some elevation bonuses. At least, the visual representation of the range would be closer to the real one.

I guess that's part of what @Angen was trying to fix here https://code.wildfiregames.com/D1800

"When you place [a] structure on some hill, it gets [a] bonus from terrain, but [the] overlay stays at maximum value from template [and that] creates confusion when you [compare the] tower range's overlay and [the] range [at] which [the] tower can actually fire. "

22 minutes ago, faction02 said:

if something is wrong with them. I attached a replay in which I simply upgrade 3 sentry towers and check the elevation bonuses in each case. According to the structure tree, the elevation bonus should increase by 6 (even if I would prefer those to remain constant). However I get the following numbers:

That's weird, maybe either @Angen or @Freagarach know why ?

The elevation adapted range depends on the surrounding terrain. So the number in the template is acutally the attack-height offset (the point from which the projectile is actually fired), which is used to calculate the "real" range. (I made a diff a while ago to rename it: D2016.)

I hope this clarifies it for you :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1