Sign in to follow this  
sphyrth

I'm Planning to Get a New PC and I Need Advice

As I mentioned earlier the Linux support has resolved itself have no issues with Mint 19.2 on my laptop even blender with fairly large files runs well better than on Win10 anyway less overhead from the OS.

Enjoy the Choice :)

its monster

• 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5
  • Core Clock 1255 MHz (OC Mode) / 1244 MHz (Gaming Mode)
  • 1 x Dual-Link DVI-D 1 x HDMI 2.0 3 x DisplayPort 1.4
  • 2048 Stream Processors
  • PCI Express 3.0 x16

• Haha 1

Even for a sale, I'm not buying a sportscar when I can walk home. To give you guys an update, I like @OptimusShepard's suggested build. It beautifully fits the budget.

I'm going to use that template, but I'll be following @Genava55's advice. Would a Ryzen 5 3600 do the trick? My current problem now is choosing a Motherboard. I've been sifting among so many, but I couldn't really confirm if they're compatible. And what I'm considering are these:
X570 Line - Aorus Elite
B450 Line - MSI Carbon vs. MSI Tomahawk

All of them are compatible so stick to your budget and don't forget a copy of Win10(oem) which you qualify for by buying a major system component have you found a case to your liking yet.

Enjoy the Choice :)  

• Thanks 1

Does your current machine still work? If so, then there is no urgency to replace it partially or completely, right?

On 9/29/2019 at 12:59 PM, sphyrth said:

(I also need a machine that safely supports Linux)

You can safely run GNU/Linux on ten-year-old machines.

Modern Intel processors tend to have integrated graphics; if it's a cheap processor then it isn't great, but if it's a high-end then the graphics are actually quite decent and you don't really need a dedicated card.

For what's worth it, my machine is nearly four years old and still runs as new; there is a separate GPU somewhere but I don't know how to use it and am not even sure if it's actually detected by my operating system (Fedora 30); at least it doesn't show up under “About”:

Spoiler

633455148_Screenshotfrom2019-10-0319-51-25.png.207adfecd9ea866afad7befc62e7066d.png

The processor's integrated graphics are sufficient for everything I've done so far. That said, your budget is below what I've spent. Personally I dislike tinkering with hardware and prefer to pay a bit more to get quality. I don't believe I'm the most appropiate person to advise you, though.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sphyrth said:

Even for a sale, I'm not buying a sportscar when I can walk home. To give you guys an update, I like @OptimusShepard's suggested build. It beautifully fits the budget.

I'm going to use that template, but I'll be following @Genava55's advice. Would a Ryzen 5 3600 do the trick? My current problem now is choosing a Motherboard. I've been sifting among so many, but I couldn't really confirm if they're compatible. And what I'm considering are these:
X570 Line - Aorus Elite
B450 Line - MSI Carbon vs. MSI Tomahawk

The Ryzen 3600 is much faster than the e.g. 2200g. But the disadvantage is that the Ryzen CPUs (without "G" Ending) have no integrated GPU. So if you could you use your old graphics card further this is a really good choise. Note that you also need DDR4 RAM. DDR3 and DDR2 doesn't work.

All X570 are compatible to the new Ryzen 3000. The older Board like e.g. B450, X470 need an BIOS update. If you buy it now, they should allready have this update. Nearly all MSI Boards have the advantage of the flashback function, so you don't need a older CPU to update the BIOS.

Within the next 1-3 months the new B550 Boards will also be released. Maybe they have also PCIE 4.0.

I self use a B450 MSI Carbon with an 3700X and a RX 570. Since last week the new BIOS with Agesa 1.0.0.3abba is for the most boards available. Agesa abb, or newer is needed to use linux I will test manajro dualboot later this days. 

• Like 2