Temporary Formations Implementation Idea

Phalanx

DISCLAIMER!

I'M NOT A PROGRAMMER! I'm a Game Design/Metagame/Gameplay Mechanic Designer (at least studying to be one at university :P )

I have an idea about to to temporarily make formations semi-usable.  Could it be programmed that formations automatically place all units within the formation in "Stand Ground" stance?  this could stop the formation from dissipating as soon as an attack order is given.  Possibly also make all formation movement attack move, to simulate the pushing of Phalanxes or Syntagmas and the fact that formations can't just run through enemy units.  Possibly using auras or something to create the buffs and debuffs of entering formations.  

I have no idea how to stop units not in the front of a formation from attacking. Possibly if formations are programmed with a designated "Front row" or "Attacking rows" so all units that aren't in the aforementioned rows don't attack.  But that might be wicked complicated.

Edited by Phalanx