0 A.D. Development Report: May - August 2019

Sundiata

• Stan` featured this topic

That's quite a long list! A few minor points:

• Personally I dislike the grey. How about blue and black instead?
  • Please check and double-check all user names; e.g. wackyserious and wowgetoffyourcellphone shouldn't be capitalized, Stan` should have a backtick, not an apostrophe, Genava55 is missing the 55, etc.
  • If something isn't committed (e.g. D2228), then don't mention it; work-in-progress is misleading, since sometimes the review process can take years.
  • Wouldn't it be better to highlight only the important things? If one wants to know everything that's changed, they could check the logs, right?
  • Like 1

Just now, Nescio said:

Please check and double-check all user names; e.g. wackyserious and wowgetoffyourcellphone shouldn't be capitalized, Stan` should have a backtick, not an apostrophe, Genava55 is missing the 55, etc.

These concerns have been addressed, thank you for your feedback. 

Just now, Nescio said:
  • If something isn't committed (e.g. D2228), then don't mention it; work-in-progress is misleading, since sometimes the review process can take years.

Just notifying the community about the decision taken, and linking to the work done towards implementing it. I didn't think that would be a problem and don't mean to mislead anyone (it's listed as a being worked on, as opposed to being committed). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sundiata said:
4 hours ago, Nescio said:

Please check and double-check all user names

These concerns have been addressed, thank you for your feedback.

Two more: FeXoR has three capitals and Freagarach has three a's.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the report! Do you intend to write another one next month?

Just now, Nescio said:

Two more: FeXoR has three capitals and Freagarach has three a's.

Good lord, I don't know why I keep getting names wrong... Thanks!

Just now, Nescio said:

Anyway, thanks a lot for the report! Do you intend to write another one next month?

Depending on the amount of development, we could write one every month, or every 2 months. I'll send you a copy for proofreading if you're interested.  

• Like 3

On 9/12/2019 at 10:32 AM, Nescio said:
  • Wouldn't it be better to highlight only the important things? If one wants to know everything that's changed, they could check the logs, right?

Normally I agree, but reports such as these can have multiple uses, such as for PR purposes (dispelling the myth that "nothing" is getting done) as well as for morale purposes (bestowing recognition on those who have made contributions). :) 

• Like 3

On 9/12/2019 at 2:52 PM, Sundiata said:

We are currently looking for Programmers, Animators and Artists. 

can we bring that in lobby announce? maybe ref to 0ad ticket, modding, forum and trac sides. i would appreciate to see that. talked already to @elexis, @ffm, @user1 (ack: @Hannibal_Barca).

Maybe in conjunction with saying as to be supporter to the project/ or donator.

I guess we need there a bigger announce and catch the people.

Good day, f.

Edited by ffffffff
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, av93 said:

The inclusion of Borg mod it's official?

No... It needs to be cut down into smaller patches and be reviewed and committed one by one or something like that. Changes need to be documented in detail as well I believe. Needs to be alpha 24 compatible. And needs to be play tested extensively. It just seems to be the most promising balance mod for application to vanilla and seems to address a good number of alpha 23 concerns. It just requires a lot of volunteer work and coordination to get done. 

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

PS: And @Stan` I saw some recent discussion on in-game voices - if anything changes that could affect my Ancient Greek recordings, please notify me (so I don't come back from Athens with an outdated set of recordings)

Aside of the differentiation of the I will build and I will repair nothing to be reported.

• Thanks 1

On 9/16/2019 at 10:50 PM, Sundiata said:

No... It needs to be cut down into smaller patches and be reviewed and committed one by one or something like that. Changes need to be documented in detail as well I believe.

The small patches means that is a matter organization, not of testing, that can be done with all the general patch.

The mod hasn't been tested already?

But IRC my question was regarding the official team desire to include the balance

On 9/16/2019 at 4:50 PM, Sundiata said:

No... It needs to be cut down into smaller patches and be reviewed and committed one by one or something like that. Changes need to be documented in detail as well I believe. Needs to be alpha 24 compatible. And needs to be play tested extensively. It just seems to be the most promising balance mod for application to vanilla and seems to address a good number of alpha 23 concerns. It just requires a lot of volunteer work and coordination to get done. 

If nearly everyone agrees that the mod is a large improvement (I niggle with some of it, but still think it's an improvement. Not as big of an improvement as Delenda Est of course ;) ), then I don't understand the need with such an extensive process which will only serve to push back A24 even further. It's not like it couldn't be further improved in A25 or revamped in B1 (lol, which is where all this balancing stuff should be done, but apparently I'm the only one who cares about this). Point is, even this large improvement is not set in stone even after merging. It can still be further iterated moving forward. 

• Like 4