===[TASK]=== Civ: Persians Assets

Alexandermb

Hello 0.A.D. Community is time to give some love to persians due the recent changes to other civ assets, even when they have the most detailed cavalry assets, their infantry assets like helmets and shields are pretty much outdated.

Its time for some persian love...

Starting with the recent changes to chamfrons: 

And this new helmet (Missing Plume):

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Texture of the helmet is 1024 for have a cleaner bake due the amount of detail:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.png

Plus the new neckguard, Thought the iron bake went a lil bit darker than supposed to be.

Spoiler

image.png

If any1 find references for the conical helmets, feel free to post'em here it would help me to properly find their conical helmets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Helmet I like, but the Parthian/Sassanid/Byzantine horse armor, no bueno. The current armor is already perfect.

screenshot0226.thumb.jpg.2de7a9e1c7a34e393700df97e0e23c59.jpg

Perhaps needs a bronze chamfron and a better plume for the horse's head.

The Persians in general definitely need update helmets and shields. Great that you're bringing them up. (y)

Though, I would like some plume variants for the Hellenistic helmets (Thracian helmets specifically).

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Helmet I like, but the Parthian/Sassanid/Byzantine horse armor, no bueno. The current armor is already perfect.

screenshot0226.thumb.jpg.2de7a9e1c7a34e393700df97e0e23c59.jpg

Perhaps needs a bronze chamfron and a better plume for the horse's head.

The Persians in general definitely need update helmets and shields. Great that you're bringing them up. (y)

Though, I would like some plume variants for the Hellenistic helmets (Thracian helmets specifically).

Haven't finished yet with helmets :victory:, (Neither with animations but i want to clear my mind a lil bit before continuing if stan manages to export elehpants animations back to blender).

I've got this from the art repo units/concep_Art:

Spoiler

bactrian_lancer_ult_fin.jpg

The name of the file says "Bactrian_lancer_ult_Fin"

plus the reference itself:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

@Sundiata would it be possible to have another hair like texture like the one you did for the horses, but this time i 512x128 for long hair whitout alpha space ? would work for have at least a better hair like shader for the plumes of every civ (and mabye crest)

(For end with the reference):

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

@Sundiata would it be possible to have another hair like texture like the one you did for the horses, but this time i 512x128 for long hair whitout alpha space ? would work for have at least a better hair like shader for the plumes of every civ (and mabye crest)

Ok, I'll see what I can come up with...

By the way, that artwork of the Persian cataphract with the face mask, is sooooo beautiful, but I don't think face masks were adopted by Persians proper until the Parthian period. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Something like these?

Hide contents

616704616_hairtry3.png.793fa7c7cba968c815e5010b4c011e3c.png 1087557135_Hairtry2.png.57fa5bca96287a7d1a001bd23b3980b7.png 2033901708_Hairtry1.png.d4436d293d16ffd98e0b110dafb6c204.png

Different? Do you want different colors? 

Will give it a try after elephants if possible Thanks! looks good for having a good quality long hair like plumes.

Sorry i bother you with this task but would it be possible one with this width. Same resolution quality later i guess it would be resized but at least we keep the highQ one for the repo

Spoiler

hispano_chalcidean_ornament_01_bronze.png

This time hair goes just like horse hair does. but using the whole texture area For crest.

1 hour ago, Alexandermb said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.png

Persian conical or Asyrian??

Two new conical helmets added:

Hide contents

image.png

Urartu helmet

tall, pointed helmet associated with the Iron Age kingdom of Urartu in Anatoliaimageproxy.php?img=&key=8555247b2bf5ea0c

Qwmv81Pr.jpg

Eastern Anatolia region of modern day Armenia, Turkey, Iran, Azerbaijan and Georgia, Urartu (Urartian or Urartaean), Iron Age III, ca. 8th to 7th century BCE. Captivating for its astonishing artistry, iconography, and beauty, this helmet is comprised of skillfully hammered bronze sheet, of a conical form to fit snugly against the skull of a warrior, tapering sharply to a tall point, and is extensively decorated in repousse as well as engraved with motifs that contribute to its charm and layers of symbolic meaning (see more below).

I havent full acess to document but if someone can check a look.

Many of the sizeable inventory of Urartian bronze objects are unfortunately unprovenanced objects, which strongly limits our understanding of such Urartian metalwork. This article is devoted to one class of bronze artifacts – helmets – and takes into consideration only those of certain and recognized provenance. The authors also briefly describe some helmets from neighboring regions, such as Transcaucasia and northern Iran, which possess similar features, in order to highlight similarities and differences.

https://brill.com/view/journals/acss/19/2/article-p277_3.xml?lang=en

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Mmmh, then they are not persian.

More Ancient than Achemenids. Very close to Assyrians than Iranians.

The civilization of Urartu was one of several states that arose following the destruction of the Hittite state in approximately 1200 BCE. Others included Tabal, Phrygia, and Lydia - each one possessed its own distinct language, religion, ethnicity, and visual culture. According to the Metropolitan Museum of Art Heilbrunn essay, "In their inscriptions, the Assyrians of Mesopotamia refer to the Urartians as their northern enemies from the eleventh to the seventh centuries B.C. However, the earliest known Urartian written document, a rock inscription at Van (ancient Tushpa), records the earliest reference to the state. There it says that Urartu was ruled by a king named Sarduri (r. ca. 840–830 B.C.), and mentions a male deity, Haldi, the supreme god throughout Urartian history."

See an analogous Urartu helmet that would have been worn by a soldier under King Argishiti I's command in the permanent collection of the History Museum of Armenia, Yerevan illustrated in Joan Aruz, Sarah B. Graff & Yelena Rakic, eds, "Assyria to Iberia (New York, 2014) cat. 30, pp. 88-90

Figures-1-321.jpg

Figures 1-33. Pre-Islamic helmets, 14th–2nd centuries B.C.E. 1. Elam, 14th cent. B.C.E. 2. Luristan. 3. Marlik. 4-8. Ḥasanlu. 9. Safidrud. 10. Ḵᵛorvin. 11-12. Luristan. (Nos. 2-12 dated to the first third of the first millennum B.C.E.) 13. Achaemenid helmet, from Egypt. 14. Achaemenid helmet, from Olympia. 15. Oxus Treasure (British Museum). 16-17. Helmets represented on seals. 18. Achaemenid helmet, from Azerbaijan. 19. Achaemenid helmet depicted on a 5th-cent. B.C.E. Greek vase. 20. Achaemenid helmet represented on a rock relief, Lycia. 21. Achaemenid helmet (Glasgow Museum). 22. Scythian helmet, from the Kuban, 7th-6th cent. B.C.E. 23-24. Scythian helmets, Checheno-Ingushetia, 7th-6th cent. B.C.E. 25. Scythian helmet, 7th-6th cent. B.C.E. 26. Scythian helmet (Greek helmet of the Thracian type, refashioned by Scythians), Nymphai, 7th-6th cent. B.C.E. 27. Saka helmet from the Altai region, 7th-6th cent. B.C.E. 28. Saka helmet from the Talas valley, 7th-6th cent. B.C.E. 29. Saka helmet in the museum of Samarkand. 30-31. Saka helmet, from the Talas valley, 7th-6th cent. B.C.E. 32-35 and 37-38. Helmets represented on coins of the Greco-Bactrian kings (32. Eucratides I; 33. Amyntas).

For example the (3)  Marlik.

Helmets came into use in the Middle East at a very early date. Among the oldest recovered specimens are Sumerian bronze helmets of the mid–3rd millennium B.C.E. from the royal cemetery of Ur. During the 9th–7th centuries B.C.E., bronze and iron helmets of different types became widespread in the Assyrian Empire. In the Caucasus region, local craftsmen influenced by Assyrian industry produced several types of Urartian helmets, mainly in bronze but some also in iron. The Iranian tradition of helmet making is very old. Elam produced hemispherical bronze helmets with decorative figures of deities and also one of a bird—perhaps a type of raptor. (See Figs 1–54 for this and the following examples.) The figures were first sculpted in bitumen, then overlaid with thin layers of silver and gold; and further details were incised, such as figures of gods. Some of them are masterpieces unequaled in ancient Near Eastern art. They can be dated to the 14th century B.C.E. (Muscarella, 1988, pp. 223-29). A number of bronze and iron helmets dating from the 9th-8th centuries have been found at western Iranian sites (e.g., Ḥasanlu, Mārlik, Safidrud). They are either conical or hemispherical, and some of them are richly decorated.

http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/helmet-i

Luristan Bronze Helmet, 1st ML BC Luristan was famous for its bronze-smiths who produced a lot of luxury items, particularly weaponry. In the 3rd and 4th millennium BC, migrant tribes settled down in the mountainous area of the Zagros Mountains 

image124.png

La metalurgia. El antiguo estado de Urartu ha sido considerado durante mucho tiempo el centro de la industria siderúrgica. El principal lugar de producción metalúrgica al norte de la cordillera del Cáucaso fue la región de Koban. Un gran número de obras de arte de bronce, hachas y hebillas de cinturón decoradas con un delicado adorno fueron encontrados allí.
Concepto y vistas, 2018.

El mayor centro de metalurgia en el Cáucaso fue el distrito de Tkalkin. Una serie de productos metálicos hechos de cobre, bronce, plata y oro se encontraron aquí. Todos estos productos muestran una gran especialización en la industria siderúrgica. Se conocía la fundición, la forjar y la soldadura. Las excavaciones arqueológicas han revelado varios talleres de metalurgia donde se hicieron objetos de bronce y hierro. En el Cáucaso, el hierro se convirtió en ampliamente utilizado a mediados del siglo I a. C. Bronce era un competidor brillante para el hierro: la producción de bronce fue proporcionada por la riqueza de depósitos de cobre y otros componentes de bronce. La mayoría de los objetos caucásicos del siglo VII - VI. Bc repite las formas urártianas. El hierro fue primero el arma, y luego - herramientas. Las formas de fundición y las barras de metales se encontraron en Teishebaini. Artículos de hierro y bronce mucho: armas, muebles, utensilios, utensilios, varias decoraciones. Especialmente encontrado un gran número de armas - espadas, dagas, flechas y lanzas. Todos son de muy alta calidad. Hay armas con inscripciones de reyes urartianos. Se encontraron 14 escudos decorativos de bronce con inscripciones que indicaban que estaban hechos para la ciudad de Erebuni. Lo más probable es que Teixebaini fuera un centro más grande, y con la caída del valor de Erebuni, estos escudos fueron trasladados a Teishebaini. 20 cascos de bronce, así como escudos, están decorados con imágenes artísticas y marcados con los nombres de los reyes urartianos. Hay imágenes de la escultura de bronce urártico, por ejemplo, en forma de cabeza de caballo y una estatuilla del dios Teixeba. [140]

From Russian to Spanish.

http://referatwork.ru/info-lections-33/articles/view/38473_teyshebaini_i_dr

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

this is more Achemenid if you try to lated fig 14.

Resultado de imagen para achaemenid helmet

Conic style similar to Levantine (Phoenician - Israelite)

Spoiler

Phoenician bronze helmetnDywIra.jpg

PHOENICIAN BRONZE HELMET

The bullet-shaped domed body is topped by a small knob.
A rare, heavyweight helmet from the eastern Mediterranean.
Some identical helmets were recovered in the eighties from a wreck lying in Israeli coastal waters.

Earlier 1st Millennium BC

H. 8 in. (20.8 cm.)

Ex collection of Axel Guttmann (1944-2001), Berlin.

Published: J. Eisenberg, Art of the Ancient World, 2011, no. 197.

PersianHelmet.jpg

Persian Achemenid Helmet in Olympia after Marathon victory  from the booty captured by the Athenians after the battle of Marathon, 490 BCE.

bWYqZNa.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Alexandermb said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.png

Persian conical or Asyrian??

Two new conical helmets added:

For be sure text there says.

Шлемы государства Урарту
1. Крепость Тайшебаини ( МП век до н.э.)
2. “Шлем царя Сардури” Кармир-Блур( М век до н.э.)
3. “Шлем царя Аргишти” Кармир-Блур( МИ век до н.э.)

Means

Helmets of the state of Urartu 1. Tayshebaini Fortress (MP century BC) 2. “Helmet of King Sarduri” Karmir-Blur (M century BC) 3. “Helmet of King Argishti” Karmir-Blur (MI century BC)

Spoiler

0hlq9ZTddsU.jpg

Шлемы киммерийские “Ассирийских” типов
1. Могильник у селения Заюково (МИ! век до н.э.)
2. Могильник Клин-Яр ( МИ - МИ век до н.э.)
3. Могильник Клин-Яр ( МИ - М1 век до н.э.)

eLj7YX5845o.jpg

Cimmerian helmets “Assyrian” types
1. The burial ground near the village of Zayukovo (MI! Century BC)
2. Klin-Yar burial ground (MI - MI century BC)
3. Klin-Yar burial ground (MI - M1 century BC)

4VFB0uZ.jpg

These helmets are imitations of cast helmets of Urartu and Assyria, and therefore could not emerge before the battles of the Cimmerians against the army  of Rush/Rusa I at the end of the 8th century BC. Thus, these finds should be dated according to the chronology of the Prescythian period of Eastern Europe. The study of archaeological sites from the late Bronze Age to the early Iron Age in Eastern Europe as a separate chronological segment, called the "Pre-Scythian Period", dates back about 70 years. 

Crucially the Urartians adopted Assyrian military practices and equipment, so that later Urartian armies used the conical Assyrian type helmets, which largely replaced the Hurrian style of cylindrical crested helmet. Thus Assyrian aggression was in time likely to have provided the impetus for these mountain dwellers to unite, as well as providing the inspiration for their culture.

It is only in the reign of Shalmaneser III (858 – 825) that the Assyrian records give an inkling of the political change occurring in Urartu. This is recorded on the illustrated bronze plaques, which once formed part of the monumental Balawat Gates. The key sections are housed in the British Museum today. The bronze reliefs provide the first visual depiction of Urartian warriors, shown wearing the crested Hurrian style helmets. This account also names Shalmaneser's main antagonist as "Aramu the Urartian", whose royal city of Arashku was sacked and burnt by Assyrian forces. Again the Balawat Gates tell the story of Assyrian armies conquering all, but within this it is evident that Urartu was now under the jurisdiction of a single king, though how firm his grip was upon this kingdom or confederation, cannot be established.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

Why not move chariots to workshop and pre-requisite "stable"? i mean it kinda makes more sense having it on workshop instead of stable.

Presumably because chariots are currently still statistically identical to cavalry. Moreover, most chariots are champions trainable at the fortress (brit, maur, sele); only the Persian chariots are not; they count as citizen cavalry trainable at the stable. Personally I'd favour replacing the Persian b/a/e chariot archers with ordinary horse archers and introducing a champion scythed chariot (cf. Seleucids).

And yeah, I agree the workshop could be a more appropiate structure for chariots than the stable. In fact, I've implemented that in my 0abc mod months ago.

• Like 1